ReputationRep:
    *shrugs* I said what I thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Whiteknight checking in?
    Internet hardman checking in?

Go masturbate loser.

ReputationRep:
    lolz, as if wearing make-up makes you a better person of some sort. Make-up and the fashion industry is the #1 reason why girls have disgustingly low levels of self-esteem.

It isn't necessary to live a happy, fulfilled life. In some instances it can actually become a hindrance - making women believe that they aren't attractive enough, physically or otherwise to leave the house without make-up. Even if its for taking out the bins and going to buy milk for 2 minutes.

I don't have anything against make-up, and to be perfectly honest I agree that it does make most people look better - but so what? Stop trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't be doing with their lives. :erm: It's not the best approach to get your point across.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyHarry01)
    Internet hardman checking in?

Go masturbate loser.
    Strong hypocrisy in post.

ReputationRep:
    Strong hypocrisy in post.
    Do you even lift?

ReputationRep:
    Do you even lift?
    I do, but coming from someone who's admitted they don't. It's a bit of a mute point...

ReputationRep:
    I do, but coming from someone who's admitted they don't. It's a bit of a mute point...
    Who's admitted they dont?

ReputationRep:
    Who's admitted they dont?
    Sorry, wrong argument...

ReputationRep:
    *shrugs* I said what I thought.
    You argued against something that was never said while avoiding what was actually said.

Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    lolz, as if wearing make-up makes you a better person of some sort. Make-up and the fashion industry is the #1 reason why girls have disgustingly low levels of self-esteem.

It isn't necessary to live a happy, fulfilled life. In some instances it can actually become a hindrance - making women believe that they aren't attractive enough, physically or otherwise to leave the house without make-up. Even if its for taking out the bins and going to buy milk for 2 minutes.

I don't have anything against make-up, and to be perfectly honest I agree that it does make most people look better - but so what? Stop trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't be doing with their lives. :erm: It's not the best approach to get your point across.
    Do you have any evidence for that? I'd say the #1 reason for low self-esteem in girls is a lack of role models and has nothing to do with fashion. Make-up and the fashion industry have been around for hundreds of years, so why would something so bad be so engrained into every culture?

You only believe you aren't attractive if you have low confidence to begin with, which isn't something the media will tell but something a girl will believe, most likely due to femininity not being adequately described in the west.

People never change for other people, so being direct about a point is as effective as beating around the bush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoking)
    Do you have any evidence for that? I'd say the #1 reason for low self-esteem in girls is a lack of role models and has nothing to do with fashion. Make-up and the fashion industry have been around for hundreds of years, so why would something so bad be so engrained into every culture?

You only believe you aren't attractive if you have low confidence to begin with, which isn't something the media will tell but something a girl will believe, most likely due to femininity not being adequately described in the west.

People never change for other people, so being direct about a point is as effective as beating around the bush
    Who are you? You seem to think you know more about a girl's approach to make-up and the fashion industry than us girls. I completely disagree with everything you're saying and I'm positive there are many other girls who do too. It has nothing to do with the lack of role models. Advanced Subsidiary has hit the nail on the head. The reason why some of us have such low confidence is because there are jerks like you and people in the fashion industry who keep promoting that 'make-up' and all this artificial crap is the only way for us to look good. No **** there are some girls who are going to fall into this trap and feel the need cake themselves to please all the jackasses that believe artificial beauty is real beauty. Because of people like you, some girls feel vulnerable and worthless when they don't wear make-up, which forces them to wear it everywhere they go, and that is what damages their self-esteem. They may feel like they're beautiful without it, but with all yours and society's bloody expectations, they feel like they MUST wear it to be considered attractive and thus, their confidence in themselves (without all the falseness) is eradicated.

Please, I'm begging, just stop acting like you know it all. You really don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphrosyne)
    Who are you? You seem to think you know more about a girl's approach to make-up and the fashion industry than us girls. I completely disagree with everything you're saying and I'm positive there are many other girls who do too. It has nothing to do with the lack of role models. Advanced Subsidiary has hit the nail on the head. The reason why some of us have such low confidence is because there are jerks like you and people in the fashion industry who keep promoting that 'make-up' and all this artificial crap is the only way for us to look good. No **** there are some girls who are going to fall into this trap and feel the need cake themselves to please all the jackasses that believe artificial beauty is real beauty. Because of people like you, some girls feel vulnerable and worthless when they don't wear make-up, which forces them to wear it everywhere they go, and that is what damages their self-esteem. They may feel like they're beautiful without it, but with all yours and society's bloody expectations, they feel like they MUST wear it to be considered attractive and thus, their confidence in themselves (without all the falseness) is eradicated.

Please, I'm begging, just stop acting like you know it all. You really don't.
    Read your opening two sentences. How is that not outrageously sexist?

Makeup has been around for hundreds of years so why has it now become a hinderance? Can you please address that instead of being ****ing rude and just asserting your idea over mine?
    Actually its because of girls like you who are insecure and aggressive that girls are confused because make up DOES unquestionably make them look better but you're saying they shouldn't wear it. THAT MAKES NO SENSE. So go you and your message of confusion. Doing a grand job for society deflecting your image issues onto others and not just being truthful.

How about you stop and have an honest conversation with yourself? But lets be realistic, that won't happen for at least a decade.

ReputationRep:
    I see that you are a guy. Do you wear makeup? All male models do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sashari)
    I see that you are a guy. Do you wear makeup? All male models do.
    And I'm not a male model so what is your point? Outside of the French aristocracy it has rarely been socially acceptable for men to wear makeup. Stop trying to bend this argument.

ReputationRep:
    Actually its because of girls like you who are insecure and aggressive that girls are confused because make up DOES unquestionably make them look better but you're saying they shouldn't wear it.
    You are totally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbj)
    You are totally wrong.
    Because? I gave an argument, youve just made a statement...

ReputationRep:
    Because? I gave an argument, youve just made a statement...
    You said unquestionable. Where was the argument?

ReputationRep:

Makeup has been around for hundreds of years so why has it now become a hinderance? Can you please address that instead of being ****ing rude and just asserting your idea over mine?
    Actually its because of girls like you who are insecure and aggressive that girls are confused because make up DOES unquestionably make them look better but you're saying they shouldn't wear it. THAT MAKES NO SENSE. So go you and your message of confusion. Doing a grand job for society deflecting your image issues onto others and not just being truthful.

How about you stop and have an honest conversation with yourself? But lets be realistic, that won't happen for at least a decade.
    Why? Because there's something called 'media' which didn't exist hundreds of years ago. Wherever you look, the TV, the Internet, magazines, billboards etcetera, you'll have a picture of a 'beautiful' (but fake) woman's face and body plastered on it, defining what 'real beauty' is. The media has been perpetuating the image that women have to be young, skinny, tall, big-breasted, tight-assed and 'fresh'-faced to be "perfect". But unfortunately, in real life, away from all the photoshopping and enhancing, very few women fit this criteria, so they often undergo expensive and painful cosmetic surgery or cover themselves with make-up in order to try to attain that ideal. Have I finally addressed it? Yes I ****ing have.

If I was so insecure, why would I argue and state that I don't wear make-up most of the time? Surely, according to you, I should be wearing make-up because I am so insecure, no? You're contradicting yourself, it's hilarious. I'm being aggressive because you clearly have no clue what you're saying, so I'm trying to drill it into your incomprehensible brain. I'm also being aggressive because you're being quite abusive by stating that girls only look good with make-up on. Imagine all the other girls who could be reading this and thinking so little of themselves because they don't wear make-up and consider themselves to look fine without it. Guys like you have such high expectations of us, claiming that we only look good when we're looking artificial, obviously I'm going to take this to heart and argue back. Not all girls should have to fall for yours and society's demands. If they feel like they look good without make-up, then they have every right not to wear make-up, it's got absolutely **** all to do with laziness or self-esteem, like you seem to believe. And please, do tell me, where have I said that girls shouldn't wear make-up? Stop trying to twist my words around. And please stop assuming. I never said I was insecure, you're clearly the confused one here. Why would girls be confused over my argument? I'm sorry honey but you're making no sense.

How about you stop and go knock some common sense into that mind of yours? But let's be realistic, that won't happen for at least a decade.

Please don't quote me back. You're arguing a lost cause here, we're derailing the thread and frankly, I'm not interested.

ReputationRep:

I agree.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    girls don't "only look good with make up on" but make up is used to enhance what you have naturally which is good if you don't use too much.
    girls don't have to wear it, but if they want to let them. live and let live...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.