Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ha, Ashley Williams showing up as an Arsenal player..

I'd prefer that we didn't sign him, especially with a much more talented younger CB in Sakho being available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyTiberius)
    Ha, Ashley Williams showing up as an Arsenal player..

I'd prefer that we didn't sign him, especially with a much more talented younger CB in Sakho being available.
    Sakho is too good to be fourth choice at Arsenal. There not enough time for him to force his way into the first 11. He'd be very good for Liverpool imo he's best bet is to go there.

ReputationRep:
    I think he's easily good enough to take either Koscielny or Mertesacker out of the team. Frankly, if Vermaelen is willing to compete for a spot, I'd expect nothing less from Laurent and Per. Four top quality (I might take that back rather quickly into the season) centre backs would vastly improve the quality of our defence imo.

Take for example last season, when there was a clear partnership with Mertesacker and Koscielny, promise with Vermaelen and Mertesacker, and chaos with Koscielny and Vermaelen. Add another CB into that mix, and you have two strong partnerships, some of whom can deputise at full back. Seems a no-brainer to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    But the thing was that he hadn't earned a contract extension contract by then and would've joined Birmingham had Gilberto not played in Copa America (funny how things works out). Him leaving set us back a lot as because of his form and Wenger keeping him in the team, we lost Gilberto and Diarra as well. He snaked us big time.

Be louder than the boo boys
    Yeh I agree he hadnt 'earned' it, but then again 07/08 was the first season where he was given an extended run as central defensive midfielder. He really came into his own then, just as we've seen Ramsay play better when's he's deployed in his proper position.

Yeh I agree losing Gilberto, diarra and him in one season was a massive loss. What was even worse was that they were replaced by Denilson and Song!

Too many bitter old geezers at the emirates mate. But will try. I hate the boo boys. Even if you think the team are crap, the board is pony and the manager is finished (I don't actually think that!) they should still cheer the XI on the pitch. Booing does more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    We could always buy... Nile Ranger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I still remember that miss from him a couple seasons ago against West Ham. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. If anyone has a video of it, please share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Ain't he the mug that posed with a gun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    Ain't he the mug that posed with a gun
    Lol I think he is going on Celebrity Big Brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    To say not many people know about it means it can't have been very forcefull

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, it was directly before a game and there were thousands of people there. And no, it wasn't forceful. It wasn't violent. it was what it was, Arsenal fans taking to the streets to protest. Fans don't exactly have much power over football boards so there's not much more you can do. Pretty sure the low attendances last season had a lot to do with the disontent of the fanbase too, not to mention the frequent booing (which I don't condone).

ReputationRep:
    So who's officially out of the Villa game? I know Arteta is. But what about Walcott, Sagna and Cazorla? I read he's also picked up a knock.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read:

Walcott - Hopes to be fit
    Cazorla - Played full 90 in South America on Weds, may not be ready after the flight
    Arteta - Torn quadricep, could be out for 6 weeks
    Sagna - Injured at the end of France game on Weds
    Ramsey - Withdrew from Wales squad due to ankle injury
    Monreal, Vermaelen, Sanogo, Diaby and Miyaichi - all widely reported injuries

By the looks of it, we'll be playing a midfield trio of Wilshere, Frimpong and Zelalem/Olsson/Eisfeld, should Cazorla or Ramsey be unavailable.
    Here's hoping for a rapid Gustavo capture!

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal don't have too long to get buying. Looks like Bale is staying and Spurs are strengthening and that too with respectable players.
    I don't understand why Arsene Wenger has not learnt from last seasons mistake. Eventually it will be costly. Liverpool are quietly building their way up it looks like through their signings, competition for top 4 will be even more intense next season. It will eventually come down to which squad has the most depth and endurance.

ReputationRep:
    Do we even have 18 players?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webster2002)
    Do we even have 18 players?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From my count, we have 17 players.

That's excluding Park, Bendtner and players who I doubt are ready (Miyaichi, Frimpong) and apparently Carzorla and Arteta are injured along with Diaby.

So we are extremely short.

ReputationRep:
    Time for some youngsters to step up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We will without a doubt sign at least 3 players by the end of this window. The only thing I'm worried about is whether any of them will be world class

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely to be world class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    We will without a doubt sign at least 3 players by the end of this window. The only thing I'm worried about is whether any of them will be world class
    Probably be panic buys that don't perform. But we need them ASAP, we don't want to drop points just because we're too short on men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Probably be panic buys that don't perform. But we need them ASAP, we don't want to drop points just because we're too short on men.
    Pretty sure they won't be panic buys. He would have learned from past mistakes. Truth is no one has any idea whatsoever what is going on behind the scenes so people really need to stop acting like everything is so simple and clear cut. You don't need to have an economics degree to work out that it isn't. If we miss out on any particular world class targets then I'm sure it will be for good reason and not because of the popular simple minded reason that Wenger is a cheapskate as if people actually know anything about Wenger or the board

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to defend Wenger and the board, yes we don't know exactly what's going on behind the scenes but the season starts tomorrow and we're desperate for additions. It seems we're going to be playing catch up again rather than having a solid squad right from the start.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.