Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Exams annoy me in some respect but better than assessed coursework

My preferred method would be total continuous assessment but that would be impossible
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)

My preferred method would be total continuous assessment but that would be impossible
    What would your ideal of total continuous assessment encompas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    What would your ideal of total continuous assessment encompas?
    Not for pre clin but for clinical years I think sign off for firms should require a little more than the consultants stamp. This year so far it is ridiculous how little you can turn up and get away without any affect. I also think juniors should probably have a bigger role in assessment. Because I think seeing how you work on the wards is something that should be assessed, possibly instead of bull**** clinical communication sessions where anyone with half an ounce of normality can pass. See whether people actually do it when no one is watching particularly closely, or appears not to be.

Maybe this is me just grumbling about my uni though.

ReputationRep:
    Not for pre clin but for clinical years I think sign off for firms should require a little more than the consultants stamp. This year so far it is ridiculous how little you can turn up and get away without any affect. I also think juniors should probably have a bigger role in assessment. Because I think seeing how you work on the wards is something that should be assessed, possibly instead of bull**** clinical communication sessions where anyone with half an ounce of normality can pass. See whether people actually do it when no one is watching particularly closely, or appears not to be.

I think a more hands-off, liberal approach to attendance is a good thing really. Where I am (in third year, at least) you get called in to discuss your absences with the head of the year if you have multiple gaps in your log book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I think a more hands-off, liberal approach to attendance is a good thing really. Where I am (in third year, at least) you get called in to discuss your absences with the head of the year if you have multiple gaps in your log book.
    We have no log book you see.

We have mandatory sessions. Typically these are the least useful and if I could skip them I would, sadly these have a register so there are only so many times you can be doing something else.

I have no problem with a liberal approach if there are repercussions when you actually do take the Michael with it whereas ours can be draconian but with the wrong things and in such a way to try and catch everyone out rather than those that are of actual concern.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    This is the same with us, our logbook is assessed 3 times in third year, and we have a minimum number of encounters which have to be logged and reflected upon.

What do you guys record in your logbooks?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Agreed, why that has not been implemented universally is beyond me. It would be very simple to have a far greater number of clinical reasoning judgments which can be given by any members of the firms.

ReputationRep:
    This is the same with us, our logbook is assessed 3 times in third year, and we have a minimum number of encounters which have to be logged and reflected upon.

What do you guys record in your logbooks?
    Where we were and when during timetabled hours; procedures, histories and examinations that we've carried out; and a likert-scaled series of questions about how we feel we're doing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Where we were and when during timetabled hours; procedures, histories and examinations that we've carried out; and a likert-scaled series of questions about how we feel we're doing.
    Like this?

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Like this?
    Very much, just paper-based rather than web-based.

ReputationRep:
    Like this?

Oh dear god that looks terrifying

ReputationRep:
    Screen shot.
    Oh dear god that looks terrifying
    Ethnicity of your patient? That's way beyond Foundation / GPVTS logs... :curious:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Ethnicity of your patient? That's way beyond Foundation / GPVTS logs... :curious:

I think the only reason ethnicity is there is due to the limited number of ethnic minorities in the south west. The GMC pointed this out to Peninsula back in 2007.

The School is aware of the limited exposure to ethnic minorities in the course as reported by students, primarily due to the demographics of the Peninsula area. We encourage the School to continue to explore how PMS students might gain an appropriate understanding of the needs of patients from diverse social, cultural and religious communities.
    Therefore this has been included in our logbook to ensure we have exposure to patients from diverse backgrounds.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Back to assessment methods.

I think that progress testing with finals multiple times each year would definitely be beneficial in clinical years at all medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    I think that progress testing with finals multiple times each year would definitely be beneficial in clinical years at all medical schools.
    Concurred.

ReputationRep:
    Back to assessment methods.

I would rather medical school did not become like sixth form where it was a constant run of exams that meant teaching was to the test rather than for the ultimate purpose of gaining knowledge.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I would rather medical school did not become like sixth form where it was a constant run of exams that meant teaching was to the test rather than for the ultimate purpose of gaining knowledge.
    Quite the contrary.

Progress testing would eliminate that, testing beyond the level of the students current progress within the course would detract from cramming.

These tests would be independent from the curriculum. There can be no intensive pre test revision strategies to distract from the designed learning of the curriculum(1). This prevents a superficial test driven approach to study (2).

1. Newble DI, Jaeger K. The effect of assessments and examinations on the learning of medical students. Med Educ 1983; 17(3):165-171.

2. Blake JM, Norman GR, Keane DR, Mueller CB, Cunnington J, Didyk N. Introducing progress testing in McMaster University's problem-based medical curriculum: psychometric properties and effect on learning. Acad Med 1996; 71(9):1002-1007.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Agreed but there has still got to be some sort of assessment to proove the teaching is allowing you to gain this knowledge. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'd feel a series of synoptic smaller exams/assessments would be more beneficial to ensuring knowledge is retained than one big lump exam, clinically and pre-clinically.

ReputationRep:
    Quite the contrary.

Progress testing would eliminate that, testing beyond the level of the students current progress within the course would detract from cramming.

These tests would be independent from the curriculum. There can be no intensive pre test revision strategies to distract from the designed learning of the curriculum[SIZE="1"](1)[/SIZE]. This prevents a superficial test driven approach to study [SIZE="1"](2)[/SIZE].

[SIZE="1"]1. Newble DI, Jaeger K. The effect of assessments and examinations on the learning of medical students. Med Educ 1983; 17(3):165-171.

2. Blake JM, Norman GR, Keane DR, Mueller CB, Cunnington J, Didyk N. Introducing progress testing in McMaster University's problem-based medical curriculum: psychometric properties and effect on learning. Acad Med 1996; 71(9):1002-1007.[/SIZE]

Dude, you did not just reference your own post...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Dude, you did not just reference your own post...
    I think I did, that made me feel unclean.

(To be fair I'm writing an SSC right now, so i think referencing may have taken over my life)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.