Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    On a serious note, Henderson is probably the man who'll get the armband, no one else you can really give it to. Lucas? Squirtle?
    Henderson is vice captain and been captain this season when Gerrard wasn't playing so it might be him next season.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    On a serious note, Henderson is probably the man who'll get the armband, no one else you can really give it to. Lucas? Squirtle?
    Henderson is their only captaincy option really, it's a bit like us only having Rooney (and Fletcher, who'd be perfect if he was still a regular).

Is it too early to start the ''Gerrard 0'' jokes yet?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for everything, Steven Gerrard. End of an era!

The man has given us everything for the majority of his career. One slip aside, his legacy is untarnished and he remains one of the finest midfielders in PL history. I've always thought he was a superior player to Lampard, not just because I'm an LFC fan, but because the man just brings so much more than goals to his game. His leadership, ability to make other players perform above themselves, inspirational qualities as well as his on-pitch technical ability was such a sight to behold.

For a period (between 2005 and 2007), he was simply the best midfielder in the world. All the superlatives were said of him. Zidane rated him higher than anybody else, and he was the most complete footballer at that time. His CL exploits will always define him, and perhaps rightly so, because we've simply never been good enough to win the league during his time. It's a shame, because I know it's always what he's most wanted and sought after, but his legacy can't be tarnished simply because he's never won the PL.

He was the best player to ever wear a Liverpool shirt, and I'm thankful to have been alive to see him in his pomp.

ReputationRep:
    His last game for Liverpool will be extremely emotional, I bet I'll end up crying at the final whistle.

He is arguably Liverpool's greatest player, he could have jumped ship ten years ago to Chelsea and won a few PL trophies but he stayed and created a fantastic legacy. He was the reason why I started supporting Liverpool and I've been fortunate to watch him play for us. I wish him well for wherever he plays next and I hope one day he comes back to work as a coach for us.

We'll probably never see a player like Gerrard play for Liverpool in our lifetime. :moon:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    We'll probably never see a player like Gerrard play for Liverpool in our lifetime. :moon:
    Definitely. Truly the end of an era.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Definitely. Truly the end of an era.
    Our next thread has to be dedicated to Gerrard.

Looks like I'll be watching tons of Gerrard videos on YouTube now. I hope he writes another autobiography about his last few years at Liverpool, it'll be really interesting reading about the Hodgson era and coming so close to winning the prem.

This season must be killing him, having come so close last year to winning the league and then falling at the final hurdle must give him nightmares. Not to mention crashing out of the CL this season and performances being so crap. Urgh ffs, if only he won the league last season. Fate can be a cruel mistress...

ReputationRep:
    Henderson is most likely to be made captain, but if Sakho and Lallana can maintain recent form and nail down a starting position, then both will be in contention considering they were both captains of their previous club.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Our next thread has to be dedicated to Gerrard.

Looks like I'll be watching tons of Gerrard videos on YouTube now. I hope he writes another autobiography about his last few years at Liverpool, it'll be really interesting reading about the Hodgson era and coming so close to winning the prem.

This season must be killing him, having come so close last year to winning the league and then falling at the final hurdle must give him nightmares. Not to mention crashing out of the CL this season and performances being so crap. Urgh ffs, if only he won the league last season. Fate can be a cruel mistress...
    Read his autobiography again quite recently actually. He definitely needs to do a new edition/instalment. Hodgson era, Dalglish era, Suarez, the end of Hicks/Gillett, the start of FSG etc.

ReputationRep:
    The one player that deserves to win the PL. Will be weird not seeing Gerrard at Liverpool
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The pitch at Anfield is dreadful this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Read his autobiography again quite recently actually. He definitely needs to do a new edition/instalment. Hodgson era, Dalglish era, Suarez, the end of Hicks/Gillett, the start of FSG etc.
    I'm sure he will write another one within the next few years. At least I hope he does, I'll preorder it ASAP. I brought Carra's autobiography ages ago but I haven't read it yet, it's meant to be a really good read as well.

I think Hendo will be able to flourish now and he'd be a good captain as well. Since he won't have to babysit Gerrard in midfield next season and hopefully he isn't shunted onto the wings either, he should go from strength to strength and keep improving.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm sure he will write another one within the next few years. At least I hope he does, I'll preorder it ASAP. I brought Carra's autobiography ages ago but I haven't read it yet, it's meant to be a really good read as well.

I think Hendo will be able to flourish now and he'd be a good captain as well. Since he won't have to babysit Gerrard in midfield next season and hopefully he isn't shunted onto the wings either, he should go from strength to strength and keep improving.
    Agreed. It isn't good for Henderson's development to be playing with Stevie anymore. It's a shame, but sadly inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    End of last season was so, so bitter. The whole 'don't let it slip' thing vs City and then what happened vs Chelsea.. it's almost like one of Shakespeare's tragedies ffs.

From being on the verge of winning a league title and complete euphoria, it's come to this. It's ended Gerrard really.

ReputationRep:
    Wow just heard the news on MoTD!

Bit of a shame that he won't finish a one man club but he's still got another 2-4 years at somewhere like the MLS.

ReputationRep:
    He'll always be remembered for the slip, Scholes will be remembered to me for his goal against Barça and Lampard will be remembered for.... This point is unfinished.

Thanks Gerrard. Great player but I enjoyed your slip immensely. Feel free to stop by my way if you wanna go ice-skating. I need some ice to fall on though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Wow just heard the news on MoTD!

Bit of a shame that he won't finish a one man club but he's still got another 2-4 years at somewhere like the MLS.
    Or the premier league.

Guy is going Chelsea or to City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Or the premier league.

Guy is going Chelsea or to City.
    I think he's already said he won't go to an English club but agreed that he could do a squad role for a top team. No doubt Benitez will try to lure him to Napoli

I imagine he'll go to LA Galaxy or NY Red Bulls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))
    He'll always be remembered for the slip, Scholes will be remembered to me for his goal against Barça and Lampard will be remembered for.... This point is unfinished.

Thanks Gerrard. Great player but I enjoyed your slip immensely. Feel free to stop by my way if you wanna go ice-skating. I need some ice to fall on though.
    I imagine the slip will go down as the 3rd of the highlights.

1st - winning CL 2005 (including the journey to the final
    2nd - FA Cup win 2006
    3rd - the slip which denied him a premier league title

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    The one player that deserves to win the PL. Will be weird not seeing Gerrard at Liverpool
    that's nice to see, especially from a united fan.
    yeah i understand the rivalry and the desire to mock the man for his slip, but anybody as a fan of the game itself cannot deny the service this man has provided over the years.
    he deserves respect and any decent supporter of football would grant it to him.

(Original post by IceJJFish(II))

and here you see the "other" type of united fan balancing it out... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    So I guess we'll spend the rest of the season discussing how Gerrard should be replaced in the summer?

Do we go out and buy big? Will Allen finally play where Rodgers bought him for? Do we have Can come in or go with a midfield of Lucas, Can and Henderson?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.