Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
All the episodes you listed where at least ok-The gangers story was the best series 6 story.
:rofl:

Oh dear.
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I enjoyed the episode, I wasn't expecting much after the sixth series (it had great ideas, but such poor execution imo) but I think that perhaps this could be a return to form. I guess we'll have to wait til next week to find out if that holds out.

I wasn't a fan of the changes to the opening titles though.
Pandora.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All the episodes you listed where at least ok-The gangers story was the best series 6 story.
As I said, it's just my opinion. In the same way, I thought tonight's episode was "at least ok" - I liked it a lot actually.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know it's subjective and all that, but you'd actually rate Closing Time as Ok, and better than the Asylum of Daleks? :lolwut:

Yeah, there were a few issues with the new one - in particular why the Daleks in the asylum were so weak given that the ordinary ones fear them, but Closing Time was really poor.
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I seem to be the only one that didn't even notice the changes to the opening sequence
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pandora.)
The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People/A Good Man Goes To War/Let's Kill Hitler. Closing Time/The Wedding of River Song. There's two strings of bad episodes. That's only my opinion, but I suppose any "bad story" is just someone's opinion.
I didn't like the Flesh story, GMGW/LKH was a good one, imo. I was let down by Closing Time/The Wedding of River Song, but only because I had high expectations, but still found it entertaining. I was also very disappointed in a lot of the answers to the long story arcs. "Doctor Who?" made me facepalm and yell "WHY."

(Original post by boba)
I seem to be the only one that didn't even notice the changes to the opening sequence
I thought the re-colour was really awesome, as opposed to what the others were saying. Prefer the older logos, though.
Pandora.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
I didn't like the Flesh story, GMGW/LKH was a good one, imo. I was let down by Closing Time/The Wedding of River Song, but only because I had high expectations, but still found it entertaining. I was also very disappointed in a lot of the answers to the long story arcs. "Doctor Who?" made me facepalm and yell "WHY."
I can see why a lot of people like AGMGTW/LKH - in all fairness, it was very well written, executed and probably a brilliant piece of entertainment for those who enjoyed it. Personally I didn't like the outcome of the River Song story, and because it was such a major thread throughout the series it was only natural that I'd feel let down by those episodes (and The Wedding of River Song).

On the other hand, I can't make excuses for Closing Time. It got to the point last year where the series was so focused on the River arc that the episodes were either about the arc or filler (with the exception of The Doctor's Wife and the one with old Amy, the name escapes me).
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The Doctor's Wife. :unimpressed:
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
The Doctor's Wife. :unimpressed:
I still maintain that this is the most wonderful piece of television I've ever witnessed. TV has never before made me have so many feels. I squee'd. I laughed. I fangasmed. I cried; I've never squee'd, cried, or fangasmed at a Doctor Who episode. It pushed all the right buttons. Just wonderful. :love:

Doctardis for celebrity couple 2012.
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Agreed. I hope Neil Gaiman writes for DW again.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Doctor's Wife was just :love:

On the subject of episode quality, what would the most underwhelming episode be? :holmes:

For me it'd be Amy's Choice - the Dream Lord could have been a brilliant villain but the scripting was poor.
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
After these two bad stories in a row I feel the same.I wish RTD would come back.I don't there has ever been 2 bad stories in a row before.Tom MacRae should probably take over.
You feel the same after two episodes? Wow
laprenti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It feels like doctor who is becoming a fanfiction of itself. Like it's pandering to the type of people who care more about shipping relationships ( River and Doctor! Amy and Doctor! Amy and Rory!) big, boring speeches from the doctor, twee things like the bow-tie meme, the Fez meme, catchphrases like 'spoilers', 'timey-wimey', 'explodey-wodey', you'd be forgiven for thinking that they were expressly written for the purpose of sticking on a .gif to be posted by a fangirl on tumblr. There's also the pandering to American audiences (wasn't there a western in the trailers? And it was Utah before that).

There's also the smug River song 'character' (not much of a character, just a layered mystery, know-it-all catchphrase dispenser), I can't stand the whole femme fatale thing, never liked her. I'm supposed to, but for what reason, all she does is travel through time with a smug grin at how clever her plans are and how many connections she has, and do kooky things.

That's another thing I hate. The doctor now apparently goes around doing kooky things with famous figures of the past, and we're meant to find that entertaining. Oh look, he's accidentally invented pasta, partied with Stevie Wonder, worked for a US president, isn't that interesting! No. Kookyness isn't a substitute for substance.

There aren't really any real characters anymore. They're all one-dimensional, occasionally two-dimensional. Look at Amy, she's 'Feisty' (Scottish!) and she loves Rory, and, and...hmm.

Anyway, I watch it for the occasional half-decent sci-fi concept, but really it's just become a soap.

Also, has anyone else here spotted the fish thing? There were fish in literally every episode of the Smith series, 'thanks santa for the fish', the giant starwhale, the vampire fish in Venice, the flying fish in the Christmas special, the goldfish in the labyrinth, fish fingers and custard etc etc.

There's also a thing about dreams, loads of references to dreams...

Spoiler:
Show
And it's carried on, Isn't the souffle girl in a dream to escape her reality? Wasn't the dream lord real, we saw his reflection in the tardis panel after they escaped the pollen or whatever it was.
justanotherposter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I liked the new episode, it was far too obvious what the twist was going to be (seriously the doctor questioned so many things about the girl yet for some reason never clicked as to what was going on,) but ignoring that the reveal was still pretty sad, probably more to do with the acting than the script, but either way it worked for me. I don't care if it didn't feel like a dalek episode, because I've never liked them so doing something different with them is a welcome change for me.

It was also nice to see no sign of timey wimey stuff, or of plot lines that are hard to follow for the sake of being complex. If Moffat continues his episodes like this then this could be a much more enjoyable season than the last.
InsaneFandom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by justanotherposter)
I liked the new episode, it was far too obvious what the twist was going to be (seriously the doctor questioned so many things about the girl yet for some reason never clicked as to what was going on,) but ignoring that the reveal was still pretty sad, probably more to do with the acting than the script, but either way it worked for me. I don't care if it didn't feel like a dalek episode, because I've never liked them so doing something different with them is a welcome change for me.

It was also nice to see no sign of timey wimey stuff, or of plot lines that are hard to follow for the sake of being complex. If Moffat continues his episodes like this then this could be a much more enjoyable season than the last.
Agreed with this, I was pretty disapointed by most of series 6 (especially Demons Run, Closing time & the finale)- it generally seemed to be too much hype/oooh whats gonna happen next whilst the actual episodes were pretty weak. Some had great ideas/concepts, but in a way they were worse because I just thought they coud've been AMAZING if done 'right'.

Whilst it wasn't flawless I did really enjoy this episode, now looking forward to the rest of series 7

Spoiler:
Show
The one thing I do wonder though is WHY the Daleks were scared enough to risk sending in the Doctor?? Surely the rogue-psycho Daleks weren't much of a threat to them. Unless the thing they were afraid of is a lot worse& has already escaped..? Also when did they start feeling fear like that? Also, I thought Skaro was time-locked..? Might be more to that episode then meets the eye... I could be wrong, or it could just be dodgey Dalek writing I guess :p:

Definatly looking forward to Oswin becoming the new companion, personally I was bored with Amy&Rory by the end of series 5.. and I like River Song less and less every time I see her so that might have contributed to me not being too happy with Who lately :p:
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Feefifofum)
I thought it was the best Dalek episode yet from the new series :p:

Impressions: Oswin is awesome, no idea how she can be the Doctor's new companion, but Moffat will have a few tricks up his sleeve. I thought the whole divorce thing was all dealt with too hastily, needed more time to deal with them being apart. Dalek zombies made me laugh so hard.
PRSOM. THis pretty much sums up my feels!
username854791
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When Oswin first appeared, What was the music called which she played to cover dalek voices?
laprenti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Future_Dr)
When Oswin first appeared, What was the music called which she played to cover dalek voices?
Music from the opera 'Carmen', I think

March of the Toreadors @ 2:49: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SGYkiVsSY
Colonel.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Asylum of the Daleks was dumb. So dumb.

Once again, Moffat proves that he needs two episodes to tell a good story.
foreverstrong_97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was dissapointed with the outcome of the episode only the moments with rory and amy were good
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (214)
39.19%
No - but I will (38)
6.96%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.59%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (258)
47.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise