Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd be massively surprised if we bid for Gustavo and he chose Wolfsburg over us. I hope we go back for Bender, would definitely get his name on my shirt.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter who we sign now. Our aspirations were to challenge for the title this year with some new signings, but as things stand now - with Suarez and Bale staying - we're once again left to compete for that 4th place.

We needed several top quality players but now we're just hopeful for one. Is anyone surprised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    It doesn't matter who we sign now. Our aspirations were to challenge for the title this year with some new signings, but as things stand now - with Suarez and Bale staying - we're once again left to compete for that 4th place.

We needed several top quality players but now we're just hopeful for one. Is anyone surprised?
    I'm not surprised at all tbh, saving money is what we do best.

Wenger's last season anyways methinks.. his contract runs out this season I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    And I told everyone not to be excited about the Gustavo rumours... he signs to Wolfsburg, typical really. :facepalm2:

I can't say with any confidence that we'll sign any 'quality' players. I'm expecting more of a panic buy at the end when we realise we've only thinned the squad with adding anything. I hope Wenger has a damn good plan...
    Starting to think Wenger's only plan should be an exit one. A draw or defeat tomorrow and he'll really have to answer some questions. Gazidis as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    I'm not surprised at all tbh, saving money is what we do best.

Wenger's last season anyways methinks.. his contract runs out this season I believe.
    It runs out at the end of this season but the papers are saying talks have begun about extending it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't write this. 24 hours until kick off and no signings, I wish the fans had an opportunity to do sort of q & a with wenger and Gazidis, because they are blatant liars to the fans, I'd love to question and ruin them both

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how confident you guys were about getting signings too I got fooled too but after that higuain fail I knew it's probably gonna be same old arsenal. If you don't get key signings it'll be a damn shame seeing as money is no longer a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Starting to think Wenger's only plan should be an exit one. A draw or defeat tomorrow and he'll really have to answer some questions. Gazidis as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why gazidis he has done everything short of buy players without asking wenger, all that **** in the press about how much we had was to put pressure on wenger to spend it

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gunna start to panic just yet. I will evaluate the performance against Villa then I give my verdict on Wenger.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal are just hopeless, totally hopeless!! I'm soo ****ing tired of this ****.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday will be make or break. I will make a thread evaluating the future of Arsenal after that game - look out for it.

Nwakaeme

ReputationRep:
    ban this nwakaeme guy ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I'm not gunna start to panic just yet. I will evaluate the performance against Villa then I give my verdict on Wenger.
    Well, based on the end of last season and pre-season, there's absolutely no reason to expect a bad performance. So not sure how that's going to tell you anything, because a good performance doesn't change the fact that your squad is a bit thin.

TBH. You've got a very good first team, you've got some good youth players who are going to break into the first team (Gnabry, Zelalem, Ryo?) and you are going to sign three good squad players. It's all good. The only bummer is that you missed out on a top striker, but who knows maybe that will be the making of Giroud... or Walcott. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Well, based on the end of last season and pre-season, there's absolutely no reason to expect a bad performance. So not sure how that's going to tell you anything, because a good performance doesn't change the fact that your squad is a bit thin.

TBH. You've got a very good first team, you've got some good youth players who are going to break into the first team (Gnabry, Zelalem, Ryo?) and you are going to sign three good squad players. It's all good. The only bummer is that you missed out on a top striker, but who knows maybe that will be the making of Giroud... or Walcott. :laugh:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    When Wenger was asked about the £49mill bid for Suarez he goes I can't mention names but you guys in the media are usually well informed. Ill take that as a yes we're gonna bid again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)

Towards the end of last season we were just grinding out results, in my eyes the performance weren't all that. I expect to see some fluid attacking football from Arsenal Villa are hard opposition so its a good test to see if the team has improved in tactical understanding. I expect to see more passing into space and more potent effective counter attacks.

ReputationRep:
    It's clear now that we are going to do our business last minute... For some reason though, I remain optimistic we will bring in one or two game changers. Am I the only one?

Edit: And I feel like one of our youngsters is going to really blossom this season, like 'young player of the year' blossom...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Towards the end of last season we were just grinding out results, in my eyes the performance weren't all that. I expect to see some fluid attacking football from Arsenal Villa are hard opposition so its a good test to see if the team has improved in tactical understanding. I expect to see more passing into space and more potent effective counter attacks.
    The best teams grind out results. United have won the title several times by grinding results out. Tbh, it's shown a bit of resilience and 2 seasons ago we would have crumbled and drawn/lost many of those games. I hope it's added a bit of steel to the team mentally. I still think our build up play is too slow for the pace we have in the team. The game I'd say we were very lucky in was when we got the penalty against Norwich and went on to win 3-1 in the dying minutes.

Benteke will be a good test for our defence, plenty of energy in that team. Lots of young players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Wasn't Gustavo 'right' enough? He'd have added real quality and is no average player. But we know Wenger, he's gonna get Flamini now. What a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gustavo sounded like a good choice, I honestly don't understand why Wenger didn't, maybe it was an issue with the wages

ReputationRep:
    I'm not surprised Gustavo chose to stay in Germany tbh. He was close to signing for Wolfsburg before Wenger showed his hand anyway, so in reality he was just trying to throw a spanner in the works. He's settled in Germany and no doubt he has a wife and kids. He considers Germany his second home and he's played there for many years.

He would've been fantastic but he's gone now. I originally thought it was a money issue but when push comes to shove there's probably more to it, let's face it, he's joined a team that finished mid-table over a UCL club. Must be personal reasons for rejecting Arsenal.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.