Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview for Philosophy and French at Brasenose at 17:59 today!

ReputationRep:
    Advice on management interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngindependent)
    Just found out about 2 hours ago that I have an interview for Mathematics and Statistics at St John's, Oxford.
    :O somebody else applying for Maths & Stats... I didn't think there were more of my kind! St Hugh's here, and nothing back from them yet, but omega good job!

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got an interview for oriental studies; Arabic & Islamic studies??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fedelias)
    I received an interview invitation for History from Lady Margaret yesterday evening. You can check here for automatic updates on which subjects have been shortlisted http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-...n-Updates.aspx
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmechoose)
    Hi, I've got an interview for E&M! (My predicted grades are just your standard A*AA though....) may I ask what the management interview like- questions asked, topics covered, etc. and what did you do to prepare? Thanks 😊
    Well at the interview and this applies to all oxbridge applicants, the interviewer isnt necessarily trying to test you but is rathet trying to help you display your interest in said subject. For you specifically its important to analyse any extra material you have read or mentioned on your ps in more detail. So for me I talked about Ray Dalio's how the economic machine works and talked about my personal opinion about it and then talked about the infamous game theory. The game theory is infamous for eliminating oxford applicants before interview because as soon as people our age mention it they get it wrong. My interviewer liked that i talked about it anyway scoring a lot of bonus points. I also read a book called its economics stupid, try that. Mainly just read your ps stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drumsticks)
    Aye, no news on the website.

https://www.wadham.ox.ac.uk/students...te-information
    the wait is killing me😁 What have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maella)
    English Lit and Language, yourself? If I do get an interview I'll only know a week before and that's so much more stressful
    Modern languages! I know, I'd rather hear bad news than no news for so long😁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rocketrascal)
    Well at the interview and this applies to all oxbridge applicants, the interviewer isnt necessarily trying to test you but is rathet trying to help you display your interest in said subject. For you specifically its important to analyse any extra material you have read or mentioned on your ps in more detail. So for me I talked about Ray Dalio's how the economic machine works and talked about my personal opinion about it and then talked about the infamous game theory. The game theory is infamous for eliminating oxford applicants before interview because as soon as people our age mention it they get it wrong. My interviewer liked that i talked about it anyway scoring a lot of bonus points. I also read a book called its economics stupid, try that. Mainly just read your ps stuff
    Any tips about game theory then, it was a hefty paragraph on my personal statement aha?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I am currently a first year med student from manchester so if you have any questions about medicine or being from manchester. Please PM me. I want to help those in the same helpless position i was in a year ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylake)
    Any tips about game theory then, it was a hefty paragraph on my personal statement aha?
    I made the same mistake you did buddy. I would recommend learning about monopolies, oligopolies and imperfect competition first and this will give the grounding needed for game theory. Also game theory is based upon a game called prisoners dilemma so read about that too. The best thing and most expensive thing I can suggest is buying a university textbook: More specifically Economics 13th edition Lipsey and Chrystal

ReputationRep:
    Also skylake if you have any further problems, just email me at [email protected] and I will give you more in depth advice

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if colleges reply on weekends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lsdjrl)
    the wait is killing me😁 What have you applied for?
    History, so a load of the other colleges have already sent out interviews 😞 How about you?

ReputationRep:
    so do they not send any interview invitations/ rejcetions on the weekend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maella)
    Does anybody know if colleges reply on weekends?
    (Original post by haziq17)
    so do they not send any interview invitations/ rejcetions on the weekend?
    Pretty sure they don't, you'll have to wait until Monday

ReputationRep:
    Just got rejected for music from Merton Oh well...

ReputationRep:
    Here's what I did: I went to youtube, searched "Game Theory", and was rewarded with a playlist of lectures from Yale on a game theory course. Watch that from start to finish, you'll end up knowing more than ANYONE at interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PasserbyA)
    Here's what I did: I went to youtube, searched "Game Theory", and was rewarded with a playlist of lectures from Yale on a game theory course. Watch that from start to finish, you'll end up knowing more than ANYONE at interview.
    I actually mentioned those in my PS!!! I haven't got anywhere near the end though, only about four in. But I have done some extra stuff on it outside.

ReputationRep:
    I actually mentioned those in my PS!!! I haven't got anywhere near the end though, only about four in. But I have done some extra stuff on it outside.
    That's good. But watch it all the way. I've already done that, and so writing game theory into my PS has become the safest route I could take. I know more about elementary game theory and microeconomic theory than university level macroeconomics, which is the stuff I capitalised on in my PS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.