The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I'm not one that knows loads of Punk Songs/albums. I generally just pick a band and shuffle it. I'm really into Rise Against who are a newer breed of Punk I guess, if they can even be called Punk anymore. Their first few albums are great though

Posted from TSR Mobile

You ought to - Punk is a great genre. Rise Against are good, my recommendations would however be:

Leatherface - Mush;
Propagandhi - most accessible album is probably Failed States, but they've lost their aggression - my favourite album is either Potemkin City Limits or Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes
Scream - Still Screaming, featuring a certain Mr Grohl on drums
PiL - any albums, all great
Rancid - Life Won't Wait or Out Come the Wolves
Slaves - new band, debut album out tomorrow, I've got a couple of samplers and they are quality
Refused - The Shape of Punk To Come: one of the best albums ever released
Minor Threat - any album, all great

Alternatively just pick any name from this song and enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcFZEsn2Lls
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Loving that this has become the punk thread now

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)

:coma: :coma: :coma:
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Pah. Rise against, more like : Rise crap.
Listen to The Unraveling or RPM mate. Great albums.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
You ought to - Punk is a great genre. Rise Against are good, my recommendations would however be:

Leatherface - Mush;
Propagandhi - most accessible album is probably Failed States, but they've lost their aggression - my favourite album is either Potemkin City Limits or Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes
Scream - Still Screaming, featuring a certain Mr Grohl on drums
PiL - any albums, all great
Rancid - Life Won't Wait or Out Come the Wolves
Slaves - new band, debut album out tomorrow, I've got a couple of samplers and they are quality
Minor Threat - any album, all great

Alternatively just pick any name from this song and enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcFZEsn2Lls
Will certainly go through that list

Posted from TSR Mobile
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Loving that this has become the punk thread now

:coma: :coma: :coma:
Aye so am I

Great song! Always wondered what it was called and who it was by

Posted from TSR Mobile
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As for newer music, sharks were great but unfortunately split up now.

Rolo Tomassi are great, plus as mentioned before, girls in bands and Eva Spence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoOzpM-yPUA

Also emo-ish music is making a bit of a comeback but in a cool way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIy2wyEV0qc

And finally, alexisonfire comeback :coma: :coma: :coma: :coma:

(Original post by PetrosAC)
Listen to The Unraveling or RPM mate. Great albums.
I was the biggest rise against fanboy ever at high school, them and blink were literally the soundtrack of my adolescence. Everything up to and including the suffer and the witness was pure gold. I've just put in Siren Song after at least 5/6 years of not listening to it and can still remember ever word.

I think I'm done with the musicyness now
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Anyone like Ska?
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Anyone like Ska?
Yes

Most obvious ska-punk band ever, but RBF are probably the most fun band I've ever seen live
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Yes

Most obvious ska-punk band ever, but RBF are probably the most fun band I've ever seen live
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
x
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
x
Just one last one, I promise

Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have booked my Rugby Aid tickets for 4th September. It should be a great match - England v The Rest of the World, two teams of former players and celebrities.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Took the Disco Sport for a test drive the other day... If only! :moon:
Green_Pink
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Have booked my Rugby Aid tickets for 4th September. It should be a great match - England v The Rest of the World, two teams of former players and celebrities.
Sorely tempted to go and see Ireland play Romania in the World Cup at Wembley, but the tickets are outrageously expensive :eek: £50 for the cheapest ones, £175 in some areas! Twice as much as we'd be charged for a cup final at the footie (which isn't cheap to begin with), you have to be kidding me?!
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
Sorely tempted to go and see Ireland play Romania in the World Cup at Wembley, but the tickets are outrageously expensive :eek: £50 for the cheapest ones, £175 in some areas! Twice as much as we'd be charged for a cup final at the footie (which isn't cheap to begin with), you have to be kidding me?!
Why are all the liberals Irish?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That is fairly cheap for an international to be fair, although maybe not against Romania. The thing is, taking the RWC to New Zealand and playing fairly major matches in tiny (sub 20k) grounds means it lost them loads of money. That's why it's in England, where they are going to try and make up the difference by holding it in big PL football grounds and charging a lot of money for the tickets.

Apparently there are still tickets for England v Uruguay at the Etihad, but I dread to think how much they'll be.
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Why are all the liberals Irish?
As far as I know it's only me and Cesca off the top of my head?

That is fairly cheap for an international to be fair, although maybe not against Romania. The thing is, taking the RWC to New Zealand and playing fairly major matches in tiny (sub 20k) grounds means it lost them loads of money. That's why it's in England, where they are going to try and make up the difference by holding it in big PL football grounds and charging a lot of money for the tickets.

Apparently there are still tickets for England v Uruguay at the Etihad, but I dread to think how much they'll be.
So we're effectively subsidising New Zealand's world cup... Have to say it puts me off getting in to it more, it just seems pretty horrendous.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So we're effectively subsidising New Zealand's world cup... Have to say it puts me off getting in to it more, it just seems pretty horrendous.
One more reason to hate the All Blacks.

At least it's on ITV and not Sky Sports, so those who can't afford to go can still see the games. Having said that, as an Irish person you might not like a lot of the names they've announced for their coverage,
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
as i said, all the liberals.

Actually quite curious about that as i come from an Irish family too.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Another London-Irish then. Cool!
Green_Pink
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One more reason to hate the All Blacks.

At least it's on ITV and not Sky Sports, so those who can't afford to go can still see the games. Having said that, as an Irish person you might not like a lot of the names they've announced for their coverage,
Even from my fairly limited knowledge I already know I don't

By the way, sorry to bother you with this (your the only rugby fan I know ) but do you know if when I'm trying to book tickets and the site says they're "not available" it means they aren't being sold yet or are already sold out? I was gonna try and see if the tickets were any cheaper for our game at the Olympic Stadium.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.86%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.04%
Not great so far... (281)
35.84%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.26%

Watched Threads