Official Cambridge Applicants Thread 2016 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TirnanF)
Out of curiosity, where will be everyone's second choice if they don't get an offer for cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Durham probably

Posted from TSR Mobile
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by samb1234)
Doubt it went that badly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I am very pessimistic that is true but it can't be good when I already know 5 marks worth of silly mistakes plus 3 potential marks if I don't get consequential. Then comes obligatory unplanned losses from the least unexpected
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Out of curiosity, where will be everyone's second choice if they don't get an offer for cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Durham, predictably.
B.Lakeland
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Durham, I'm going to a summer school at Durham and they guarantee to give me a "standard offer" when I apply!
This isn't even reliant on AS grades (obviously I still want to do well to get an offer from Cambridge).
I would be studying either physics, or physics with astrophysics.
C0balt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edinburgh Chemical Physics
Entry requirement is much lower like AAA so might be wasting my (hopeful) A*s but I like the look of the course. Haven't looked much into other unis however, so might like Durham or something who knows
kawehi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BioStudentx)
Yes I do OCR chemistry. And yes I am using the unofficial mark schemes, my own instinct etc. Usually I'm right about most thing. I got the charge of an electron wrong in my exam. I didn't write -1 and lost marks. I thought it was 1/1840 at the time. 10/10 would write that again.
Ah man that sucks! According to the mark schemes for bio and chem, I *seem* to have gotten full marks (???) but I'm taking that with a serious pinch of salt.. Plus F321/F211 were only worth 30%, so I've got plenty of wiggle room to screw the rest of it up How did you do on the coursework?
samb1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by C0balt)
Well I am very pessimistic that is true but it can't be good when I already know 5 marks worth of silly mistakes plus 3 potential marks if I don't get consequential. Then comes obligatory unplanned losses from the least unexpected
The thing is that that's not even that bad. Even last year, which was a very easy paper, you would only lose around 12-15 ums for dropping 10-12 marks. 15/300 is almost nothing, and that's only one of the 3 subjects included in the average

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Durham or Imperial I guess.
BioStudentx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kawehi)
Ah man that sucks! According to the mark schemes for bio and chem, I *seem* to have gotten full marks (???) but I'm taking that with a serious pinch of salt.. Plus F321/F211 were only worth 30%, so I've got plenty of wiggle room to screw the rest of it up How did you do on the coursework?
Lol teacher is too much of a ****** to tell us our results so I have no clue.
I thought that word would have been censored. My bad
C0balt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by samb1234)
The thing is that that's not even that bad. Even last year, which was a very easy paper, you would only lose around 12-15 ums for dropping 10-12 marks. 15/300 is almost nothing, and that's only one of the 3 subjects included in the average

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know what, of all the people who cheered me up you do the best job lol
At least other three I took went alright, and unit 2 is much better seeing how low the boundaries are and I now love waves lol
kawehi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lol teacher is too much of a ****** to tell us our results so I have no clue.
I thought that word would have been censored. My bad
What?! They haven't told you any of your results? That's crazy! Do you at least know that you got an A? I would be freaking out if I didn't know exactly what I got
samb1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You know what, of all the people who cheered me up you do the best job lol
At least other three I took went alright, and unit 2 is much better seeing how low the boundaries are and I now love waves lol
Glad to hear it worked. Its always worth keeping these things in context I mean in total you'll be doing exams worth around 1,300 ums in total so losing 15 isn't really a big deal. And what's more you'll do really well at interview so don't get too bogged down in one 'bad' exam which for all you know could still be near enough full marks due to the difficulty of the paper. No point guessing now when you don't know what mark you got or what grade boundaries are

Posted from TSR Mobile
BioStudentx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kawehi)
What?! They haven't told you any of your results? That's crazy! Do you at least know that you got an A? I would be freaking out if I didn't know exactly what I got
Nope. No clue at all.
kawehi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope. No clue at all.
Eesh... Ah well, one extra element of surprise on results day
cerlohee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Physics wont be in my most relevant 3 luckily. Although I got near to 100% in both mocks so it is very very sad that I messed up.
For natural sciences, it's the three highest science UMS so if physics was good that'd be used in your average 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
antisansculotte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As someone doing all arts subjects, it seems crazy to me that you know what you've achieved.
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Edinburgh Chemical Physics
Entry requirement is much lower like AAA so might be wasting my (hopeful) A*s but I like the look of the course. Haven't looked much into other unis however, so might like Durham or something who knows
Science is science. Whether you're taught it at Cambridge or Edinburgh it's the same subject and the same difficulty. Just different lecturers and at a much faster pace at Cam.
samb1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by antisansculotte)
As someone doing all arts subjects, it seems crazy to me that you know what you've achieved.
That is the main benefit of science exams. If you come out of the exam having been able to answer every question (like properly answer, not just make stuff up) then you will basically get 90%+

Posted from TSR Mobile
BioStudentx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by antisansculotte)
Subjects like maths aren't subjective Although, I try to avoid to say what I think I got at college because I'll instantly get labelled as arrogant .
kawehi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Who else here has a Nuffield research placement (or any other research placement for that matter) this summer?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
27.42%
No (90)
72.58%

Watched Threads