Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The 19-year-old scans the field like Paul Scholes, who is almost twice his age.

It's almost like he sees the run before his team-mate has even made it at times – an absolute gift in a player so young.

Gunners fans might want to shine a laser into his face or chip in for a few hefty books for the midfielder to read, because if he keeps up his 20:20 vision for much longer he may well spot the dust gathering in the trophy cabinet and eye up a move to a team that can win things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    I don't think the defence needs too much to be bought in - Verm-Djourou would be an awesome partnership, Kos is very good backup. Maybe we need to buy one backup but not big money.
    That's exactly what we said last season.. and we bought Squillaci *FAIL* and verm got injured we seriously need to bulk up are backs with some one with a lot of experiences and can command his players.. not that nonsense of no communication with the goalkeeper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunnytomo)
    That's exactly what we said last season.. and we bought Squillaci *FAIL* and verm got injured we seriously need to bulk up are backs with some one with a lot of experiences and can command his players.. not that nonsense of no communication with the goalkeeper
    No we didn't say that last season... Gallas left and there was no proven backup.. we need to replace Squillaci with someone of Kos' standard, that is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    No we didn't say that last season... Gallas left and there was no proven backup.. we need to replace Squillaci with someone of Kos' standard, that is all.
    Gallas was deteriorating he cost us the season 2 years back and if Vermaelen and douj gets injured were screwed Koscielny is average at best he's a 25 years old CB with barely any top level experience, has a few good games there and then but makes key errors which cost goals regularly...:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people are saying that our defence is good enough. You can't be serious.

In other news;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0FapiaqPc

The two goals at 00:31, and the goal starting at 1:01 are some of my favourite goals of all time.

I don't think it's wrong to say that on his day, Pires was at least the joint best player Arsenal have ever had.

The video also neatly sums up what's wrong with Arsenal today. Look at the movement and commitment. Beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but Koscielny is proving himself a better defender with every game - I really can't see the criticism you're giving him.

The problem is that he normally ends up having to play with Squillaci who has been nothing short of diabolical for us.

We certainly need a much better defender than Squillaci, but the other three are more than good enough for the Premier League.

ReputationRep:
    I think with Vermaelen's long term injury, next season any 2 of Vermaelen/Koscielny/Djourou could start the season, and I think all of them are pretty decent defenders. Squillaci as 4th choice isn't distrastous either. However Koscielny gives away too many freekicks, and with our set-piece problems, he needs to clamp down on this. I'll be quite happy if Clichy leaves, maybe get £5-6m for him in the summer because of his contract.

ReputationRep:
    What you need to do is go and buy 3 or 4 captains from other teams, whether they be team captains or national captains, some natural leaders for the team.

For example Vermaelen is great because he's the captain of the Belgian side (and captained Ajax before he came to Arsenal)

Doesnt matter if they are young and captained or a bit experienced (even if they've passed on the captaincy now). Born leaders and usually natural winners.

Go buy some ffs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    What you need to do is go and buy 3 or 4 captains from other teams, whether they be team captains or national captains, some natural leaders for the team.

For example Vermaelen is great because he's the captain of the Belgian side (and captained Ajax before he came to Arsenal)

Doesnt matter if they are young and captained or a bit experienced (even if they've passed on the captaincy now). Born leaders and usually natural winners.

Go buy some ffs!
    We already have 3 though. You couldn't have guessed it but...
    Not including our ACTUAL captain as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    We already have 3 though. You couldn't have guessed it but...
    Not including our ACTUAL captain as well.
    Yep Denilson, Diaby and Vermaelen have all been former captains. You could throw in Rosicky as well internationally. Adebayor was captain of Togo as well. It's not all about having the armband, people put too much focus on this in England.

ReputationRep:
    lol don't need a new defender. Djourou is injury prone and Vermaelen just spent a whole season out :facepalm2: Couple of weeks into the next season and we'll be in the same situation as now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Yep Denilson, Diaby and Vermaelen have all been former captains. You could throw in Rosicky as well internationally. Adebayor was captain of Togo as well. It's not all about having the armband, people put too much focus on this in England.
    Ramsey as well I suppose.
    Nasri had 1 game as captain didn't he?

ReputationRep:
    Ramsey being chosen as Wales captain is a joke, and was obviously just done to give the lad a boost.

It really worked too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)

Go buy some ffs!
    Denilson was captain of Brazil's U20 side....

But I think you have a good point though.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds very familiar :http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...missing-out-on

ReputationRep:
    i would of loved a centre half like Gary Cahill in are side young upcoming talent thought AW would of jump at him the start of the season..

ReputationRep:
    Watching those videos of Pires, I can't help but think that if we held on to him he could be producing the same quality of services that Ryan Giggs is offering Man United. He may not be up to much at Aston Villa but had he stayed playing week in, week out I have no doubts him that there wouldn't be much difference between him and Ryan Giggs (both of them being the same age).

Having said that, that is all in the past and onto the future:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...sene-wenger.do
    One of the worst seasons in recent times in my opinion. Second in Champs League group stage and knocked out in first qualifying round producing zero shots in the away leg although a much better team than last time. Losing in the League Cup Final to Birmingham and losing the first leg of the semis to Ipswich. Held to draws in the FA Cup by Leeds, Leyton Orient and scraped a last minute penalty against Huddersfield before being knocked out by Man United. Potentially 10 points behind with 2 games in hand over Man United by the time we face Blackpool with games against Liverpool, Tottenham, Bolton and Manchester United following straight after. As far as I am concerned, this has been a poor season, one of the poorest. Where do you find the positives? The fact that we are "still in the race"? For Wenger to boast about the positive qualities and the fact that we don't need a trophy is for me, insulting and shows a lack of passion and commitment.

ReputationRep:
    Arsene is rumoured to be after this up coming star, probably will happen because he's relatively unknown and will cost next to nothing..

ReputationRep:
    I hace to say after reading Wenger's press conference, my faith is growing a little bit. Especially when he came up with this gem

Do you judge this season or the last four seasons? Some of the clubs behind us have done nothing for 20 years, yet suddenly they get a lot of praise
    We're looking at you Lord and Saviour of the Universe Harry Redknapp.

I miss Henry

ReputationRep:
    I really think Weneger needs to go, but that's a good point he made, something I am constantly going on about. It's not always about winning. Unfortunately most football fans are not intelligent enough to understand this.

Look at Birmingham now, can you seriously say they have acheived more than us? (I will be expecting some people to say yes btw, which will further reinforce my point about football fans being unintelligent)

However in our case 6 years is approaching our limit. Now it's got to the point that winning is imperative.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.