Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    That would make me do more clerking and less ward jobs which would probably be a good thing.
    While on Medicine I just had to have ward rounds/outpatients/phlebotomy rounds signed off.
    Now in O & G I don't have to actually have anything signed off but we have every morning/afternoon timetabled.

Looking forward to surgery where I can go do whatever I want and don't need to get anything signed off.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever invented proscrastination has a lot to answer for!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Whoever invented proscrastination has a lot to answer for!
    Don't worry. I heard they'll get round to answering to you in a minute :yep:

ReputationRep:
    That would make me do more clerking and less ward jobs which would probably be a good thing.
    Ditto. Spend probably far too much time on the TTOs, prescription charts and phleb stuff.

But that can all go to hell now I have just received Skyward Sword. Bye bye medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Don't worry. I heard they'll get round to answering to you in a minute :yep:

Hummm i left the door wide open for that one.
    As a special treat you have been awarded the privilage of providing inspiration for my assignment.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hummm i left the door wide open for that one.
    As a special treat you have been awarded the privilage of providing inspiration for my assignment.
    :hat2:

And that sounds ever so slightly worrying..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    Random assortment of what we've been doing, we've a list of histories/exams/procedures we need to do and get 'signed off'/show proof of, some reflective stuff. However we've then got an electronic one to do that I've not even looked at yet
    Id forgotten that existed.

ReputationRep:
    :hat2:

And that sounds ever so slightly worrying..

Maybe im being more special than usual but im confuzzled.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Maybe im being more special than usual but im confuzzled.
    Just that "inspiration for my assignment" could be taken as weird and pervy if said like an old man said it type thing

I tried to be funny.. don't worry about it :getmecoat:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Id forgotten that existed.
    The first time we knew it existed last year was when they informed us at the end of the year that they were going to look at it for our evaluation. We laughed at them.

ReputationRep:
    Just that "inspiration for my assignment" could be taken as weird and pervy if said like an old man said it type thing

I tried to be funny.. don't worry about it :getmecoat:

Oh dear maybe i should avoid saying things i dont understand when im sleepy tired!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Can I ask (mainly aimed at females), how do you deal with male patients making pervy/lewd comments?

There have been numerous times when I've been clerking or examining a patient and they've said or done something inappropriate. At the moment I just try and laugh it off, but I need to find a way to be more assertive without being rude/stopping them from co-operating with whatever I'm doing.

It's not as if they're even all young - I've had it from patients aged 70/80 :sad:

ReputationRep:
    This thread, in addition to revision for this stupid exam, is making me really miss medicine. A lot. *geek snort*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    Does anyone understand embryology please? I'm having trouble with the axes - is dorsal ventral the same as anterior posterior? Conveniently it appears explanations alternate at whim between the too, unless I'm (probably) mistaken...
    In my embryology notes from last year I have this weird blob looking thing I drew (resembles a featureless dinosaur I guess) with the quote "Hi I'm embryology and I'm here to **** your **** up".

I haven't written any notes after that so I think it's save to say I gave up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    In my embryology notes from last year I have this weird blob looking thing I drew (resembles a featureless dinosaur I guess) with the quote "Hi I'm embryology and I'm here to **** your **** up".

I haven't written any notes after that so I think it's save to say I gave up.
    hah, yep snap I gave up after carcinoma's insight and started playing bf3 - then wham, it's 3am.

another first class day of procrastination, excellent.

so frustrated with the minutiae of neural induction I started re-learning some maths (FOR FUN) on the excellent khan academy website - check it out if you haven't already, a vast range of subjects taught very well, but sadly (and understandably) no embryology.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe some universities have second year students clerking patients. I wouldn't have a scoobies how to do that and I shan't until fourth year at the earliest. Also agree that I didn't revise basically all of embryology last year, and probably will this year.

Khan academy is brilliant! Sometimes I think I ought to have done a mathematics degree...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Woody.)
    I can't believe some universities have second year students clerking patients. I wouldn't have a scoobies how to do that and I shan't until fourth year at the earliest. Also agree that I didn't revise basically all of embryology last year, and probably will this year.

Khan academy is brilliant! Sometimes I think I ought to have done a mathematics degree...
    It isn't that shocking when you consider the volume of clinical skills teaching we get in the first two years of the course, and the number of stand alone OSCE stations.

I don't think PMS is quite like UEA in that aspect anyway, as Iv only clerked 2 patients and done some simple procedures in two of my GP days, so far this year. (I have another four GP days next 2 terms)

But there will be some people in my year who will get far more clinical experience this year, due to them having clinical SSC's. They will practically be clinical students and members of firms, for a three week period. I drew a shorter straw and ended up with both my SSC's this year being biomedical.

As for Embryology I still don't have a grasp of the whole process yet, and I am still too scared to spend any more time looking at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)

Even we clerk patients in 2nd year and have to present them....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Can I ask (mainly aimed at females), how do you deal with male patients making pervy/lewd comments?

There have been numerous times when I've been clerking or examining a patient and they've said or done something inappropriate. At the moment I just try and laugh it off, but I need to find a way to be more assertive without being rude/stopping them from co-operating with whatever I'm doing.

It's not as if they're even all young - I've had it from patients aged 70/80 :sad:
    How inappropriate are we talking? I've actually found it much more common in the older men than in those closer to my own age, as the younger ones are probably a bit more embarrassed. Older men generally aren't actually trying to hit on you, but think they're being nice and charming because 50 years ago talking to women like that was not so unacceptable.

I don't get too many inappropriate comments, because I'm not very hot (especially at 3am on a medical take!) and because I try to give clear "I'm a professional" signals in what I wear and do. Think of Suzi from Junior Doctors, who complained that nobody took her seriously, but was skipping around with her pink sparkly stuff all the time, and don't do that.

ReputationRep:
    Even we clerk patients in 2nd year and have to present them....

By clerk patient what do you actually mean?
    Theres no way in second year you would be allowed to be the first to see a patient.
    Personally i would be a nightmare for a second year to see.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.