Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If the Tories can drag Reckless down below 40% i think they should be happy (that would be a 10% loss unlike Carswell's gain). Anything below 30% is a bad result for the Tories. I highly doubt Labour and Lib voters will have turned out.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Turnout estimates are around 50% from what I'm hearing.

Edit: 50.6% is the official figure.

ReputationRep:
    16863 - Ukip - 42%

13947 - Tory - 35%

Tories should be pleased with their own figure i think, very winnable in 2015.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Lib Dems only secured 349 votes (for comparison, the MRLP got 151) meaning they lose their vote deposit. :lol: It doesn't look like a bad loss for the Tories so things look reasonable next year.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of everyone talking about the Tories losing, all the attention is on Labour. What a stupid woman.

ReputationRep:
    Why are the Tories celebrating this as 'not that bad'? They've lost a second MP to Ukip, despite 'throwing the kitchen sink' at the by-election. I'd be appalled if I was a Conservative supporter.

Amazed Emily Thornberry resigned, but it compounds the utterly woeful performance of the Labour Party this year.

Bloody hell, seems like everyone apart from Ukip and the Greens are doing their best to lose the election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Why are the Tories celebrating this as 'not that bad'? They've lost a second MP to Ukip, despite 'throwing the kitchen sink' at the by-election. I'd be appalled if I was a Conservative supporter.

Amazed Emily Thornberry resigned, but it compounds the utterly woeful performance of the Labour Party this year.

Bloody hell, seems like everyone apart from Ukip and the Greens are doing their best to lose the election.
    They didn't lose as badly as expected, so it's a hollow victory.

The greens did quite well. I don't see why she resigned either, it wasn't that bad and it was just one tweet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)

The greens did quite well. I don't see why she resigned either, it wasn't that bad and it was just one tweet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When it's a by-election in a constituency you control with a massive majority, celebrating that a loss could have been worse is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me neither, I mean clearly there was an implication there but it wasn't enough to resign over, an apology would have been enough IMO. Frankly, though, if it means the Labour Party look even worse I'm all for it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

The strategy of going full speed at Reckless and aiming for his knees was an ineffective one (have we learnt nothing from the Scottish referendum?), yet despite this the Conservatives still polled 35% of the votes. With a better campaigning strategy, 7% is not a huge deficit to make up. If anything, it calls into question whether UKIP's momentum can continue to be maintained outside of its core voting demographic. Yes, they are going to steal votes from the Tories, but damage is more limited compared to what the SNP and maybe the Greens are about to do to Labour.

What else could Labour do? Ed Milipede is an extremely incompetent leader, and without Emily throwing herself in front of the bus to save him we'd most likely see a further reduction in his popularity. In essence she's been sacrificed with the hope that doing so will limit the damage done to the image of the party and restore a little authority for their leader.

ReputationRep:

Losing Queens is bad, but it's Wimbledon that matters.

It's reason to be optimistic even if being happy would be an overreaction.

(Original post by Superunknown17)
    Me neither, I mean clearly there was an implication there but it wasn't enough to resign over, an apology would have been enough IMO. Frankly, though, if it means the Labour Party look even worse I'm all for it.
    Miliband did not 'accept her resignation' because the image was offensive, he did it because she created a headline on the one day this year that they had to stay quiet to watch the Tories get cabbaled by the press.

ReputationRep:
    It's terrible for the Tories no matter how it is spun. It's a seat UKIP should not have won regardless of a defection. People assume UKIP's demographic are over 65's or the unemployed working classes with no qualifications. If we examine the demographics of Rochester and Strood we find they lie outside UKIP's core vote.

Rochester and Strood has below the national average for over-65's.

Rochester and Strood is slightly above the national average for unemployment but not in the same way Clacton was.

Rochester and Strood is below the national average for people without qualifications.

UKIP's result is not a sign of momentum slowing outside of its core vote, neither does it question UKIP's continuing momentum. The result is a sign of UKIP's increasing momentum outside of its core vote, and it's growing appeal to a new demographic of voters. This is the start of the end for Labour and the Conservatives in their current state.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: gif _79134105_byelection_65_20141911_464_v2.gif (5.3 KB, 74 views)
  2. File Type: gif _79134106_byelection_unemployed_20141911_464_v2.gif (5.3 KB, 74 views)
  3. File Type: gif _79161891_byelection_20141911_464-03.gif (5.5 KB, 74 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    She resigned because of this. She made the front pages on the one day that it was almost guaranteed for the Conservatives to be labelled as losers for losing to UKIP, she should have resigned a few days later or not at all as you said.

ReputationRep:
    I actually know her daughter and she's distraught. Poor showing from Miliband here, he should stand by his MPs.

ReputationRep:
    I actually know her daughter and she's distraught. Poor showing from Miliband here, he should stand by his MPs.
    It's just blunder after blunder for Miliband lately, he's really showing his lack of ability to be leader of the country. I mean, I don't really like Dave but at least he actually looks and acts like a leader.

She resigned because of this. She made the front pages on the one day that it was almost guaranteed for the Conservatives to be labelled as losers for losing to UKIP, she should have resigned a few days later or not at all as you said.
    Exactly, as you and Rakas said, this was the one day they couldn't afford to slip up but lo and behold, they've managed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    As for osteotology/anatomy/identification what have you studied so far?
    Errm i'm not sure really how to say what I have/haven't done that and I have the memory of sieve recently.

I did some module where they essentially assigned everyone a skeleton in a box and said identify it. Age, gender, dating and all that malarkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Errm i'm not sure really how to say what I have/haven't done that and I have the memory of sieve recently.

I did some module where they essentially assigned everyone a skeleton in a box and said identify it. Age, gender, dating and all that malarkey.
    Isn't one way of telling a skeleton's gender the shape of their pelvis? And that sounds really fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldenEmblem277)
    Isn't one way of telling a skeleton's gender the shape of their pelvis? And that sounds really fun!
    Yeah its the easiest way but the issue is you'll be very lucky to ever have a 'complete' skeleton with a pristine pelvis. IIRC mine came with a fragment of the pelvis but pretty much everything else intact in regards to major bones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Yeah its the easiest way but the issue is you'll be very lucky to ever have a 'complete' skeleton with a pristine pelvis. IIRC mine came with a fragment of the pelvis but pretty much everything else in regards to major bones.
    That sounds hard.

Anyone here use Uber as I'm not getting a fare estimate for journeys I want to take and it's taking the piss, in LA it worked perfectly, well it wouldn't accept my UK CC at first so had to find my US DC, but here in London there is nearly always nothing

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.