Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Btw Eboracum's post got me thinking...I have actually supported football for a while! In my early days (childhood) growing up in Holland, I remember supporting PSV Eindhoven whilst all my friends were Ajax supporters. Hard times Arsenal was inherited from (most) of the fam so I've always been tied to both of these teams although I don't follow Eredivisie that much anymore

#LPslifestory. Sorry I'm bored.

What made you guys support the clubs you do now? Any other clubs from other countries that are special to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Btw Eboracum's post got me thinking...I have actually supported football for a while! In my early days (childhood) growing up in Holland, I remember supporting PSV Eindhoven whilst all my friends were Ajax supporters. Hard times Arsenal was inherited from (most) of the fam so I've always been tied to both of these teams although I don't follow Eredivisie that much anymore

#LPslifestory. Sorry I'm bored.

What made you guys support the clubs you do now? Any other clubs from other countries that are special to you?
    for me -
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I came from a very un-sporting family, none of whome liked or watched football..

In school, I gradually got into it, very slowly as i got older, until around 18, when i was watching most weeks and keeping track of thigns..

I went to uni as a 'neutral fan' who never had any attatchments to a team (grew up in the countryside with no city/team close-by) - but going to a university in london, I made friends with a group of arsenal fans..

Couple of weeks later, I get given a free-bet promotion, for some betting site, that they were giving out to students on a night out.. no deposit, no money, just a free £20 bet...

My arsenal friends tell me 'Put it all on arsenal to beat barcalona at the emerites..'. I still did not know much about football, so I did what they said...

Later that night I check the scores.. and arsenal are loosing by 1, so I look up who barcalona are.. and to my shock, they are this huge club who are beating everyone...

I thought my friends were taking the piss, so I left for the night to go out, thinking all was lost.. only to come back later, in a 'happy-drunk' kind of frame, to see that arsenal ended up winning

After that, I always had a bit of a soft-spot for them, and being surrounded by arsenal fans, I slowly followed them more and more, until a few years later I eventually called myself an arsenal supporter..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Last year when I was thinking of uni's to apply to I was interested in Nottingham. I got talking to this guy and he gave me all kinds of recommendation/advice about the uni, I asked him about football in that city ie- Notts County and Nottingham Forest. He said quite a few of the students from both universities go to watch the home games and it's a lot of fun. Tickets aren't too expensive either. So by all means AR that's not a bad idea, something entertaining to while away the time. You can always hop on a train from time to time to check on Arsenal
    Forest and County's grounds are right next to each other, they're literally separated by the Trent. It's quite remarkable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Forest and County's grounds are right next to each other, they're literally separated by the Trent. It's quite remarkable.
    Trent Bridge also within the vicinity as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    for me -
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I came from a very un-sporting family, none of whome liked or watched football..

In school, I gradually got into it, very slowly as i got older, until around 18, when i was watching most weeks and keeping track of thigns..

I went to uni as a 'neutral fan' who never had any attatchments to a team (grew up in the countryside with no city/team close-by) - but going to a university in london, I made friends with a group of arsenal fans..

Couple of weeks later, I get given a free-bet promotion, for some betting site, that they were giving out to students on a night out.. no deposit, no money, just a free £20 bet...

My arsenal friends tell me 'Put it all on arsenal to beat barcalona at the emerites..'. I still did not know much about football, so I did what they said...

Later that night I check the scores.. and arsenal are loosing by 1, so I look up who barcalona are.. and to my shock, they are this huge club who are beating everyone...

I thought my friends were taking the piss, so I left for the night to go out, thinking all was lost.. only to come back later, in a 'happy-drunk' kind of frame, to see that arsenal ended up winning

After that, I always had a bit of a soft-spot for them, and being surrounded by arsenal fans, I slowly followed them more and more, until a few years later I eventually called myself an arsenal supporter..
    Ahh that's nice! At least your friends led you to the right club
    Even though watching them now causes pain
    Hehe

(Original post by sr90)
    Yeah I heard! Good thing they're in different divisions otherwise the rivalry would be soo intense.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe

Yeah I heard! Good thing they're in different divisions otherwise the rivalry would be soo intense.
    Is there a word limit to opening posts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll ask

ReputationRep:
    Hehe

Think i have it easier then long-term arsenal fans actually..

See, you guys can remember the days when arsenal used to win the league and destroy teams..

But me? I have only known the recent-years arsenal, and the FA cup last year, was the only trophy I have seen them win..

So really, this is status-quo for me at the moment.. whereas I guess for you guys its a whole leap down from what you were used to..
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah and you've reached it! Just put anymore quotes throughout the thread

See, you guys can remember the days when arsenal used to win the league and destroy teams..

But me? I have only known the recent-years arsenal, and the FA cup last year, was the only trophy I have seen them win..

So really, this is status-quo for me at the moment.. whereas I guess for you guys its a whole leap down from what you were used to..
    lol no. I'm merely the same as you but I do remember Arsenal's CL final with Barca in 06. I was in year 5 back then and of course most of family and friends watched it. The invincibles season is a myth to me, I don't even know what I was doing back then. It's one of those things you know vaguely about.

ReputationRep:

I'd agree tbh. I think it's much harder as a long term fan since we were so use to being "the big guys" of the league, instead of the joke we are now. The hardest thing about it is knowing that we have the resources, and are very close to being one of the top clubs again but we're being held back by Wenger/the board. Not taking shots at LP but when I heard the suggestion of resigning Kim Kallstrom my heart sank because of how much the standard and expectation of the club has dropped.

I started watching Arsenal at a very young age so I've experienced 2 premier league titles, FA cup vs UTD and also the CL final vs Barca. **** man I also remember our loss to UTD after 49 games so vividly. Back then I was too young to actually analyse the football or gain enough knowledge though but I still grew a strong bond towards the club, which is why I absolutely hate when people say "maybe I should support club X instead", even if they are joking.
    Wenger needs to go and I've admitted that I'm part of the Wenger out brigade. But he's been the only manager I've experienced so when he does leave it'll be an emotional day.

For your question LP, I use to give France a strong following for the cups in 2004/2006, mainly because of Thierry/Pirez and Vierra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I'd say the opposite really. I think it's much harder as a long term fan since we were so use to being "the big guys" of the league, instead of the joke we are now. The hardest thing about it is knowing that we have the resources, and are very close to being one of the top clubs again but we're being held back by Wenger/the board. Not taking shots at LP but when I heard the suggestion of resigning Kim Kallstrom my heart sank because of how much the standard and expectation of the club has dropped.

I started watching Arsenal at a very young age so I've experienced 2 premier league titles, FA cup vs UTD and also the CL final vs Barca. Back then I was too young to actually analyse the football or gain enough knowledge but I still grew a strong bond towards the club, which is why I absolutely hate when people say "maybe I should support club X instead", even if they are joking.
    Wenger needs to go and I've admitted that I'm part of the Wenger out brigade. But he's been the only manager I've experienced so when he does leave it'll be an emotional day.

For your question LP, I use to give France a strong following for the cups in 2004/2006, mainly because of Thierry/Pirez and Vierra
    You've agreed with him....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and you've reached it! Just put anymore quotes throughout the thread
    Dang. Is there no way for me to have the post 2 as well? Not like it was related to the thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You've agreed with him....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rofl. Long day at work; edited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Rofl. Long day at work; edited.
    Thought so :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Absolutely, between playing with myself and that and streaming the Arsenal, the internet dont really have no consequence innit
    Zürich makes his return
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    I'd agree tbh. I think it's much harder as a long term fan since we were so use to being "the big guys" of the league, instead of the joke we are now. The hardest thing about it is knowing that we have the resources, and are very close to being one of the top clubs again but we're being held back by Wenger/the board. Not taking shots at LP but when I heard the suggestion of resigning Kim Kallstrom my heart sank because of how much the standard and expectation of the club has dropped.

I started watching Arsenal at a very young age so I've experienced 2 premier league titles, FA cup vs UTD and also the CL final vs Barca. **** man I also remember our loss to UTD after 49 games so vividly. Back then I was too young to actually analyse the football or gain enough knowledge though but I still grew a strong bond towards the club, which is why I absolutely hate when people say "maybe I should support club X instead", even if they are joking.

That's okay. I suppose it's harder to hear things like that especially when you've actually lived through Arsenal's good old days and experienced the club at a very high level.

Thanks for the interesting read

Dang. Is there no way for me to have the post 2 as well? Not like it was related to the thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Done. I've given you the second post as well now.

ReputationRep:
    That's okay. I suppose it's harder to hear things like that especially when you've actually lived through Arsenal's good old days and experienced the club at a very high level.

Thanks for the interesting read

Done. I've given you the second post as well now.
    Thanks LP, much appreciated! #Bestmod

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't beg it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    don't beg it
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    :mmm:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.