Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    simply because our biggest problem has been the lack of a consistent, quality striker.
    our defence has been as bad as always but it's up front in which we were lacking.
    i'm not saying he's gonna instantly hit the ground running, but he is our best player and he has the quality score us goals that balotelli, lambert and borini just can't.

that's why it's important to buy another striker (and sell the deadwood).
    our big problem was that we didn't have a quality player (like bony) to step up when sturridge was out - it's become so bad that we resorted to playing a 20 year old midfielder up front.

the way we crumbled against leicester was unforgivable, i agree
    but we don't know what will happen - rodgers has said it may be a quiet window but nothing is certain until after the window closes.

true, so many teams have been pathetic this season
    in all honest, LVG has been a very lucky boy - another year he could be nowhere near where he is in the table.
    for the quality united have, they have severely underperformed and they are where they are because of 1) extreme levels of luck, 2) DDG being a beast in goal and 3) rivals underperforming.

there's no problem with making predictions at this stage, but to categorically rule us out of a CL finish right now is insane.
    to see our own fans giving up on us half way through the season is awful.
    we aren't in the relegation zone; we're 4 bloody points below arsenal.
    Agree with all but the pressure you guys are putting on Sturridge is surreal. If he has a run of bad games, you cant help but feel the fans may turn on him. Some of my Liverpool supporting mates just seem to have it in thier heads that Sturridge will return and instantly start scoring hattricks.

You make your own luck tbh but we have been quite lucky. But funnily enough, we've never had the chance to field a fully strengthened United side. People say we've underachieved with the amount of money we have spent but how many of our newly signed players have played? None started against Newcastle and we won comfortably 3-1. We've barely even had Di Maria play (sometimes i forget we've signed him), Falcao has barely featured due to injuries or something, Rojo keeps getting injured, Blind is injured, Herrera was injured and has returned, Shaw is injured. So i dont understand why people say we've underperformed when our new signings have barely played. Also add in the fact that we have never had a settled best back 4 and its amazing that we're third with all the injuries we have had. I know its stupid to use it as an excuse but which side do you know that had to bring up academy players to play at CB and fill in other positions? Which top side do you know thats using wingers as full backs? I'd say our luck is balancing out with the bad luck we've had with injuries.

Your 4 points behind an Arsenal side who will improve, more points behind a United side who will improve and more points behind a Southampton side who have become flat track bullies and add in the fact that they are now getting results in the big games. Dont blame your fans for being pessimistic because its worrying seeing the state your club is in. Its reminds me of us last season in which we kept thinking 'oh we're only this many points behind 4th' but the reality is the gap will grow and soon you'll realise its impossible to close.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    We are half way through the season and we still haven't looked like we are capable of challenging for 4th place at all.
    bar city and chelsea, nobody else has shown consistent top 4 quality anyway.
    yes we aren't good but neither is anybody else.

Even if Sturridge is fit for the rest of the season there's no guarantee he'll find his goal scoring form. Plus even if Sturridge does score a fair few goals, our defence is still very leaky.
    same as last season then, expect this time we aren't going for the title, we're going for 4th place which has more room for error points wise.

Although our form seemed to improve in the past few games we still bottled a 2-0 lead to Leicester who are at the bottom of the table for crying out loud! We have only won 8, drawn 5 and lost 7, that's not a good record for a team who are supposedly challenging for 4th place.
    of course it isn't a good record.
    i never once said this has been a good half season - this has been painful to watch after the excellence of last season.

city bottled a 2 goal lead at home (twice!) recently - does that mean they won't get top 4 either?
    all i'm saying is that teams change, form changes and we are not out of this at the half way point.

The truth is standards have been low this season at the top end of the table (bar City and Chelsea) but we have been much worse in comparison to Arsenal, United, Tottenham and even Southampton. I am just being a realistic fan-our best bet for CL qualification is to win it through the EL.
    we haven't been "much worse", merely worse.
    out of the teams you mentioned, none of them have shown consistent high levels of performance compared to what they're aiming for (bar maybe southampton).

i'll say it again; we're 4 points away from arsenal who are realistically gonna be the team you'll need to beat to 4th place this year.
    soton and west ham will drop away, spurs will too once kane goes off form.

If we do have a great transfer window this Jan and suddenly find last season's form and end up 4th place, then that's great and I'll be ecstatic. But there's no point kidding ourselves, in this moment in time we don't look good enough to get 4th. I know football is a funny game and things can change in a flash but all things considered I find it unlikely we will come 4th.
    no we don't look good enough to get 4th.
    but i couldn't name 4 teams in the league that look good enough to get top 4 anyway.
    maybe realistically you may doubt that we can improve, but we've all seen how teams can change and i'll i'm saying is not to give up when we're only half way through...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Agree with all but the pressure you guys are putting on Sturridge is surreal. If he has a run of bad games, you cant help but feel the fans may turn on him. Some of my Liverpool supporting mates just seem to have it in thier heads that Sturridge will return and instantly start scoring hattricks.
    we have of course put sturridge on a pedastal.
    it's easy to say that the only reason your team are doing badly is because your star player isn't there to win the games for you.
    but funnily enough, in some cases that's exactly it.

as i said, our defence has been as bad as always but take the united game for instance.
    had sturridge played the score would've likely been 3-2 to liverpool (if you require elaboration on why, let me know)

we win that game and suddenly we're 1 point behind arsenal and 2 behind united - doesn't look so hopeless then does it?

You make your own luck tbh but we have been quite lucky. But funnily enough, we've never had the chance to field a fully strengthened United side. People say we've underachieved with the amount of money we have spent but how many of our newly signed players have played? None started against Newcastle and we won comfortably 3-1. We've barely even had Di Maria play (sometimes i forget we've signed him), Falcao has barely featured due to injuries or something, Rojo keeps getting injured, Blind is injured, Herrera was injured and has returned, Shaw is injured. So i dont understand why people say we've underperformed when our new signings have barely played. Also add in the fact that we have never had a settled best back 4 and its amazing that we're third with all the injuries we have had. I know its stupid to use it as an excuse but which side do you know that had to bring up academy players to play at CB and fill in other positions? Which top side do you know thats using wingers as full backs? I'd say our luck is balancing out with the bad luck we've had with injuries.
    sometimes you make your own luck, sometimes it is handed to you.
    it isn't lucky that your keeper has been amazing but maybe it's lucky that opposing teams can't finish against you or referees refuse to award penalties at your expense.

every team gets injuries, it just happens
    i do admit you've had wayyyy more than your fair share, but you kinda caused your own problems by not buying enough/quality defenders
    sometimes it's not just about number of injuries anyway; one injury can change everything (e.g: sturridge)

Your 4 points behind an Arsenal side who will improve, more points behind a United side who will improve and more points behind a Southampton side who have become flat track bullies and add in the fact that they are now getting results in the big games.
    i admit united will get better but there are no significant indicators that arsenal will improve.
    also you ignore the fact that we will improve too, whether it be with the acquisition of new players or the reintroduction of sturridge.

Dont blame your fans for being pessimistic because its worrying seeing the state your club is in. Its reminds me of us last season in which we kept thinking 'oh we're only this many points behind 4th' but the reality is the gap will grow and soon you'll realise its impossible to close.
    i'm not blaming pessimism because sometimes i'm pessimistic myself.
    i'm blaming complete lack of hope and support before we even see the second half of the season.

maybe the gap will grow, maybe it wont.
    all i know it that right now i have hope that we will improve because i am a fan of this club and i will believe we can do it until the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    I agree with the majority of this.

The whole part about the second half of the season is not dropping silly points. 2 at home to Leicester is unforgivable. If Liverpool get top 4 it's mainly due to a crumble from the other sides. I can't see Liverpool getting over 65 points - and 70 points would be a fantastic feat right now. Of course, no one expected last season's quality run in, but it's difficult to see something else so drastically improving. Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup etc. will see dropped points here and there.

Everton on last seasons form would have got CL this season. This seasons form is relegation form.

Arsenal, United, Spurs and Southampton should be seen as the contenders for top 4 - in that order of likeliness to get there imo. Would love it if Spurs and Southampton get it - as incredibly unlikely as it is.

Liverpool must concentrate on EL to get CL. No other way they will get it unless other sides really bottled it.
    Exactly. First half of the season you can afford to drop points here and there, heck even have a bad slump but its all about getting the results in the second half of the season and putting together a consistent run of wins if you want top 4. 68/69 points should be enough to clinch top 4 imo and Liverpool dont look likely to even achieve that.

Next 6 fixtures are:
    Sunderland (A)
    Villa (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Everton (A)
    Tottenham (H)
    Southampton (A)
    City (H)

If Liverpool harbor any hopes of top 4 they need to win their home games but on the form they are on, do you back to them to get wins against West Ham, Spurs and City? Liverpool have parallels with United last season in a way that the players find it hard to play at Anfield because of the nervous atmosphere present which clearly translate to the players. Leicester at home should have been a 3 point banker (no disrespect to them) for a top 4 challenging side. From that run i can see Liverpool only picking up 9-10 points from that run. They'll be out of top 4 running by March imo.

Agreed, the only way Liverpool can get Champions League football next season is through winning the EL. Would be a great way to send Gerrard off :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    we have of course put sturridge on a pedastal.
    it's easy to say that the only reason your team are doing badly is because your star player isn't there to win the games for you.
    but funnily enough, in some cases that's exactly it.

as i said, our defence has been as bad as always but take the united game for instance.
    had sturridge played the score would've likely been 3-2 to liverpool (if you require elaboration on why, let me know)

we win that game and suddenly we're 1 point behind arsenal and 2 behind united - doesn't look so hopeless then does it?

sometimes you make your own luck, sometimes it is handed to you.
    it isn't lucky that your keeper has been amazing but maybe it's lucky that opposing teams can't finish against you or referees refuse to award penalties at your expense.

every team gets injuries, it just happens
    i do admit you've had wayyyy more than your fair share, but you kinda caused your own problems by not buying enough/quality defenders
    sometimes it's not just about number of injuries anyway; one injury can change everything (e.g: sturridge)

i admit united will get better but there are no significant indicators that arsenal will improve.
    also you ignore the fact that we will improve too, whether it be with the acquisition of new players or the reintroduction of sturridge.

i'm not blaming pessimism because sometimes i'm pessimistic myself.
    i'm blaming complete lack of hope and support before we even see the second half of the season.

maybe the gap will grow, maybe it wont.
    all i know it that right now i have hope that we will improve because i am a fan of this club and i will believe we can do it until the end.
    Again you're talking hypothetical situations. You didnt have Sturridge for the game and you lost 3-0. There's no point talking about past games. Thats like me saying our first 5 games would have been straight wins if we signed Di Maria and Co earlier. You're not 1 point behind Arsenal and you're not 2 points behind United, i commend your optimism and I'm not trying to put you down, but my lord its exactly like how we were last season.

If Liverpool rely on one player to finish in top 4 then there's surely something wrong here. Just like how you said United should have bought defenders, then why did Brendan not go out and buy quality attackers. He had the money and decided to spend it on potential rather than ready made players who were required. If you fail to finish top 4 season, especially with the outlay you guys have spent (we talk about United splashing 150m but people forget Liverpool splashed out a 100m and look where they are), you'll miss the chance to assert yourself in the league again after 5 woeful years of mid table finishes (bar last season). Also I'm not sure how it's our problem with regards to injuries to our defence , we had Smalling, Jones, Evans, Blackett as our senior CBs, surely that's enough depth at the back. The only point that I'd agree on is the fact we should have maybe bought in another fullback.

There's been signs that United are improving (10 unbeaten point to this) and Arsenal have shown signs that they can put a run together (although they still have not won 3 games ina row this season and seem to have bipolar). Southampton who many have said we fall away, well they havent. They seem dead serious at the top 4 challenge and also add in the fact that they comprehensibly beat Arsenal without arguably their 2 best players on form in Schnederlin and Clyne. Liverpool have shown signs that they are improving and the performance against Swansea was great but you have been struggling so bad at Anfield. Just off the top of my head, you luckily beat Stoke 1-0, shambolic performance against Sunderland, Leicester, Villa and Hull. This is against relegation battling sides at home. Arsenal always finished in the top 4 because simply put they were flat track bullies and i dont think we can say that about this Liverpool side.

Fair enough, that's pleasing to see and you should never give up hope on your club.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    LFC pretty confirmed what we suspected - that Gerrard will move to the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Man City it is then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Again you're talking hypothetical situations. You didnt have Sturridge for the game and you lost 3-0. There's no point talking about past games. Thats like me saying our first 5 games would have been straight wins if we signed Di Maria and Co earlier. You're not 1 point behind Arsenal and you're not 2 points behind United, i commend your optimism and I'm not trying to put you down, but my lord its exactly like how we were last season.

If Liverpool rely on one player to finish in top 4 then there's surely something wrong here. Just like how you said United should have bought defenders, then why did Brendan not go out and buy quality attackers. He had the money and decided to spend it on potential rather than ready made players who were required. If you fail to finish top 4 season, especially with the outlay you guys have spent (we talk about United splashing 150m but people forget Liverpool splashed out a 100m and look where they are), you'll miss the chance to assert yourself in the league again after 5 woeful years of mid table finishes (bar last season). Also I'm not sure how it's our problem with regards to injuries to our defence , we had Smalling, Jones, Evans, Blackett as our senior CBs, surely that's enough depth at the back. The only point that I'd agree on is the fact we should have maybe bought in another fullback.

There's been signs that United are improving (10 unbeaten point to this) and Arsenal have shown signs that they can put a run together (although they still have not won 3 games ina row this season and seem to have bipolar). Southampton who many have said we fall away, well they havent. They seem dead serious at the top 4 challenge and also add in the fact that they comprehensibly beat Arsenal without arguably their 2 best players on form in Schnederlin and Clyne. Liverpool have shown signs that they are improving and the performance against Swansea was great but you have been struggling so bad at Anfield. Just off the top of my head, you luckily beat Stoke 1-0, shambolic performance against Sunderland, Leicester, Villa and Hull. This is against relegation battling sides at home. Arsenal always finished in the top 4 because simply put they were flat track bullies and i dont think we can say that about this Liverpool side.

Fair enough, that's pleasing to see and you should never give up hope on your club.
    It looked like Man Utd were improving with that 6 win streak but since then you've only picked up 6 points from 12.

Do you think Man Utd will spend in January? I can see the Glazer's saying you had enough to spend in the summer so you don't need more money now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    If we're smart, we'll be bringing him back on loan in the MLS off season and get him into our coaching staff asap once he retires.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    LA Galaxy I expect.

Can't imagine him loving it out there to be honest. He's a homebird, the climate won't suit him, he isn't the most celebrity of footballers. Alex will undoubtedly like it, but I can see him suiting somewhere like New York more.

He and Robbie Keane will link up well together, but if I was him I'd look to be recruited by Houllier at NY Red Bull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)

Do you think Man Utd will spend in January? I can see the Glazer's saying you had enough to spend in the summer so you don't need more money now.
    Money's there, we won't buy anyone realistically as there's no-one out there.

ReputationRep:
    If Rodgers continues to play a Gerrard Lucas midfield than we have no chance of top 4. We looked great against Swansea as Gerrard was dropped and our midfield was fluid with Hendo as CM. But with a Gerrard and Lucas midfield we were dominated by Burnley and got lucky to get the 3 points and were lucky to even get a point against Leicester. Think our top 4 hopes depends on Rodgers team selection and how fit Sturridge is. EL remains our best chance.

Sturridge isn't going to solve our problems if we are getting dominated in midfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    If Rodgers continues to play a Gerrard Lucas midfield than we have no chance of top 4. We looked great against Swansea as Gerrard was dropped and our midfield was fluid with Hendo as CM. But with a Gerrard and Lucas midfield we were dominated by Burnley and got lucky to get the 3 points and were lucky to even get a point against Leicester. Think our top 4 hopes depends on Rodgers team selection and how fit Sturridge is. EL remains our best chance.

Sturridge isn't going to solve our problems if we are getting dominated in midfield.
    Yes he would, see last season when Sturridge played without Suarez he was just saving you lot game after game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yes he would, see last season when Sturridge played without Suarez he was just saving you lot game after game.
    Probably, but he's been out for a long time so his fitness is not going to be great and won't be as sharp as before.

ReputationRep:
    Probably, but he's been out for a long time so his fitness is not going to be great and won't be as sharp as before.
    Doubt that's a problem guy had meningitis and was out for 2 months before joining liverpool and he was saving you lot game after game.

Provided he's got no problems with his pace the guy will be going ham.

ReputationRep:
    Sturridge can't do it without a great team around him / Suarez alongside him

will get roughly 5 goals this season

Jam is a biased fanboy

ReputationRep:
    We have a really tough run of games over the next couple of months coming up after our next 3 games. If we want to salvage anything from this season, then it is vitally important than we win our next 3 games AND put in some good performances so that we can build some momentum and go into the tough run with some form of confidence.

Mon 5th Jan - FAC - Wimbledon (A)
    Sat 10th Jan - PL - Sunderland (A)
    Sat 17th Jan - PL - Aston Villa (A)
    Tue 20th Jan - LC - Chelsea (H)
    24th/25th Jan - FA Cup 4th Round
    Tue 27th Jan - LC - Chelsea (A)
    Sat 31st Jan - PL - West Ham (H)
    Sat 7th Feb - PL - Everton (A)
    Tue 10th Feb - PL - Tottenham (H)
    14th/15 Feb - FA Cup 5th Round
    Thu 19th Feb - EL - Beskitas (H)
    Sun 22nd Feb - PL - Southampton (A)
    Thu 26th Feb - EL - Beskitas (A)
    Sun 1st Mar - PL - Man City (H) OR League Cup Final

Basically if things don't go to plan, our season will be over by the end of February.

ReputationRep:

That's the main thing.
    We were excellent against swansea in a different set up and no Gerrard.

It's clear that Gerrard doesn't work for us, especially defensively.
    Maybe things would be different if he was played further forward when Sturridge returns, although sadly I think it's time that we get comfortable in a set-up that doesn't include him.

We don't know how things will go when Sturridge returns, but provided Rodgers makes the right selections, we certainly have the capability to win our next 3 games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fideo)
    Sturridge can't do it without a great team around him / Suarez alongside him

will get roughly 5 goals this season

Jam is a biased fanboy
    Based on what? He has proven to score goals without Suarez and Sterling.

ReputationRep:
    Based on what? He has proven to score goals without Suarez and Sterling.
    But still the rest of the team were in brilliant form which can't be said any more, in particular Gerrard and Henderson

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.