Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Our squad was obviously alright since Klopp had no changes in January (other than Caulker who didn't play) but still got to the EL final.

The results you listed were after Rodgers got sacked?

I'm talking about drawing to Arsenal, losing to West Ham, losing to Man Utd and being on 7 points after 5 games.

By comparison, Man City were on 15 points and Leicester were on 11 points.
    How can you say this when we finished 8th in the PL? EL games suited us (and Klopp) better than PL games as the latter are more physical and direct and less open which is where we struggled with, Klopp did well to get us far in the EL with an unbalanced and average midfield, **** goalkeeper and a lack of pace and width upfront. The results I listed had a bigger say in our season than the results before Rodgers got sacked. We are better in the big games with Klopp now but I'm more worried about the other 15 teams where there are more points in where we usually lose/draw in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    How can you say this when we finished 8th in the PL? EL games suited us (and Klopp) better than PL games as the latter are more physical and direct and less open which is where we struggled with, Klopp did well to get us far in the EL with an unbalanced and average midfield, **** goalkeeper and a lack of pace and width upfront. The results I listed had a bigger say in our season than the results before Rodgers got sacked. We are better in the big games with Klopp now.
    8th with 60 points and only 3 points off 6th and 6 points off 4th place. We played our reserve team/2nd string for a few games between Europa League ties - we could've picked up a few more points there.

For example against Swansea, Newcatle and WBA at the end of the season.

Klopp got the same squad to play better than Rodgers did.

I feel like we've gone off a tangent - my point was about preferring to have easy fixtures at the start of the season compared to the tough run that we have.

ReputationRep:
    8th with 60 points and only 3 points off 6th and 6 points off 4th place. We played our reserve team/2nd string for a few games between Europa League ties - we could've picked up a few more points there.

For example against Swansea, Newcatle and WBA at the end of the season.

Klopp got the same squad to play better than Rodgers did.

I feel like we've gone off a tangent - my point was about preferring to have easy fixtures at the start of the season compared to the tough run that we have.
    Same can be said for other teams who all underperformed themselves but we can't bank on that this season.

ReputationRep:
    Same can be said for other teams who all underperformed themselves but we can't bank on that this season.
    But I wasn't talking about underperforming - I was pointing out that we didn't use our best team (which we would've but for our involvement in the latter stages of the Europa League).

ReputationRep:
    But I wasn't talking about underperforming - I was pointing out that we didn't use our best team (which we would've but for our involvement in the latter stages of the Europa League).
    Yh but you could also point to other games in the season where we did play using a strong side but still lost points from winning positions. Our squad does need improvement in some areas but with GK and CB sorted, we just need to improve on a CM and a winger. We have no European games so squad depth shouldn't be an issue as it was last season but first XI does need a bit of work on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Tbh Benteke is a top player in the right team.
    He was exceptional at Villa and I'm sure he'd return back to his glory days at West Ham.

I'd prefer him to leave; he's never gonna work in our system and if he could do better elsewhere, he should jump at the opportunity to go.
    It's obviously better for Liverpool, but I don't see West Ham getting him. I don't really see how they benefit from the deal

ReputationRep:
    Well... Thats a tough start to next season. Still, suppose playing them early is better than later when they've got a few games under their belt and momentum.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably win tbh.

Arsenal are lazy and arrogant. They'll turn up on opening day just expecting to win at home. If you press them, they won't be prepared to put in the work rate to match, and Klopp can have them roll over real nice. 3 - 1 to Liverpool. Then cue Wenger Out banners for a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    You'll probably win tbh.

Arsenal are lazy and arrogant. They'll turn up on opening day just expecting to win at home. If you press them, they won't be prepared to put in the work rate to match, and Klopp can have them roll over real nice. 3 - 1 to Liverpool. Then cue Wenger Out banners for a few weeks.
    Need England to get knocked out at the group stages so we can get a few more players back for pre-season. I wouldn't be surprised if a few players aren't back for Arsenal by the first game.

Euro 2016 final is on 10 July. Arsenal play Liverpool on 13 August. If you give players like Ozil 2-3 weeks rest then it's not much time to have him ready for the start of the season.

We'll beat Arsenal and then lose to Burnley :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Need England to get knocked out at the group stages so we can get a few more players back for pre-season. I wouldn't be surprised if a few players aren't back for Arsenal by the first game.

Euro 2016 final is on 10 July. Arsenal play Liverpool on 13 August. If you give players like Ozil 2-3 weeks rest then it's not much time to have him ready for the start of the season.

We'll beat Arsenal and then lose to Burnley :facepalm:
    If he gets to the final then he'll probably miss the start of the season, like he did after the world cup.

Can see Klopp getting the players to do a mad ting tbh. Origi and Sturridge peeling off the back of Mertesacker is gunna be a mare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    It's obviously better for Liverpool, but I don't see West Ham getting him. I don't really see how they benefit from the deal
    Well Benteke is 25 (two years younger than Caroll) and has some scope for improvement. Last season he has scored the same number of goals in the PL as Caroll (although he has played 1520 minutes as opposed to Caroll playing 1436 minutes) but Caroll benefited from playing in a team that suits him better whereas Benteke was doomed from the moment Klopp got the job but still contributed to some goals. Benteke would beast it at West Ham imo.

ReputationRep:
    Well Benteke is 25 (two years younger than Caroll) and has some scope for improvement. Last season he has scored the same number of goals in the PL as Caroll (although he has played 1520 minutes as opposed to Caroll playing 1436 minutes) but Caroll benefited from playing in a team that suits him better whereas Benteke was doomed from the moment Klopp got the job but still contributed to some goals. Benteke would beast it at West Ham imo.
    Age is a non-factor if it's just two years. Liverpool have a slightly better squad and Benteke had more starts but they both ended up with the same amount of goals. All in all, I don't see the point in paying £20m at least to replace someone worth roughly the same.

There is also the fact that Carroll already complements Payet's style very well, so the won't need to be a transition period like there will be for Benteke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Age is a non-factor if it's just two years. Liverpool have a slightly better squad and Benteke had more starts but they both ended up with the same amount of goals. All in all, I don't see the point in paying £20m at least to replace someone worth roughly the same.

There is also the fact that Carroll already complements Payet's style very well, so the won't need to be a transition period like there will be for Benteke.
    Payet won't be playing for west ham next season

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)
    Unless West Ham get £50m or more, he's staying. Unless of course he forces a move, but there's nothing to suggest that. He signed a new contract four months ago, in fact.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7083836.html

Chinese club interested in buying Liverpool for £700m. Wasn't the 1st time talk of takeover since FSG joined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7083836.html

Chinese club interested in buying Liverpool for £700m. Wasn't the 1st time talk of takeover since FSG joined.
    There will always be people interested in buying Liverpool. I'm happy enough with FSG for now, who IMO are doing a decent job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not many clubs who will be willing to pay the small fortune it will cost to buy Payet considering his age.

Although wouldn't put it past PSG?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We have agreed a fee from Fenerbahnce for Skrtel. £5m-£5.5m

ReputationRep:
    Not many clubs who will be willing to pay the small fortune it will cost to buy Payet considering his age.

Although wouldn't put it past PSG?
    They will now tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    We have agreed a fee from Fenerbahnce for Skrtel. £5m-£5.5m
    This makes me happy.

I am extremely satisfied with Sakho, Lovren, Matip and Gomez going in to a season without Europe.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.