Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXIV watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    If anything the press are overrating him!

Didn't Darren Bent score 20+ a couple of times ffs.

The English love to hype their football players.

Still haven't heard a good argument for him being this incredible transfer some are making him out to be. He might be a shrewd purchase at most.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I remember Marcus Stewart outscoring Thierry Henry one year.

Let's not forget James Beattie, Michael Bridges, Andy Johnson, Kevin Doyle, Grant Holt & Ricky Lambert as well who all had 1 good season before reverting back to their usual selves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Let's not forget James Beattie, Michael Bridges, Andy Johnson, Kevin Doyle, Grant Holt & Ricky Lambert as well who all had 1 good season before reverting back to their usual selves.
    Didn't Benni McCarthy beat Ronaldo to the Golden Boot one year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

None of them scored 24 league goals, and none of them guided their team to the PL trophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    None of them scored 24 league goals, and none of them guided their team to the PL trophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nobody is disputing Vardy's contribution this season, we're saying that he isn't quite the same player if your set-up doesn't match him.

His game thrives on pace. Counter attacks, long balls chipped over the defence, getting him through on goal.
    Vardy is absolutely excellent when you play to his strengths but he won't be able to hold up play or play delicate passes like we've seen from Giroud.

I've never thought the Frenchman was much good but he has shown he can score in your set-up. Like Benteke at Liverpool, Vardy could be an absolute flop if Arsenal don't use him right.

ReputationRep:
    The bantz when vardy rejects us though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Speaking of Vardy i've taken 3 Vardy @'s on Twitter

ReputationRep:
    News in that we're trying to get Mahrez and are activating his release clause. Man the amount of butthurt from rival fans if we get both of them would be hilarious. Enjoy your cognitive dissonance rofl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Nobody is disputing Vardy's contribution this season, we're saying that he isn't quite the same player if your set-up doesn't match him.

His game thrives on pace. Counter attacks, long balls chipped over the defence, getting him through on goal.
    Vardy is absolutely excellent when you play to his strengths but he won't be able to hold up play or play delicate passes like we've seen from Giroud.

I've never thought the Frenchman was much good but he has shown he can score in your set-up. Like Benteke at Liverpool, Vardy could be an absolute flop if Arsenal don't use him right.
    Which is why we're getting Mahrez rofl.

ReputationRep:
    All this nonsense talk about him not fitting into our setup. I highly doubt Wenger is buying Vardy to fit him in the same system we use Giroud with. The system is *******s anyway and it's about time we changed setup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Damn your life is cool

ReputationRep:
    So Leicester is to Arsenal what Southampton is to Liverpool? (inb4 Captain Morgan our next target)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    All this nonsense talk about him not fitting into our setup. I highly doubt Wenger is buying Vardy to fit him in the same system we use Giroud with. The system is *******s anyway and it's about time we changed setup.
    If it were Mourinho/Pep/Klopp, I'd agree with you.

But this is Wenger...

ReputationRep:
    Vardy guided Leicester to the title...
    Lets forget the other guys who played just as good if not better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Vardy guided Leicester to the title...
    Lets forget the other guys who played just as good if not better.
    Vardy wouldn't have been as successful if he didn't have Kante and Mahrez to help him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    If it were Mourinho/Pep/Klopp, I'd agree with you.

But this is Wenger...
    When is the last time Wenger gone out and tried to buy 2 outfield players before the Euro's/World cup have even started? It's his last season, it's already visible that he wants to take a different approach. Jamie Vardy is the exact opposite of what Arsenal usually buy anyway.

Some of you are being unbelievably narrow minded as well. Such a shortage of strikers currently means Vardy for £20m is a steal. If he can even replicate half of his form at Leicester here then he'll be a great addition. We've been wanting an upgrade on Giroud for years and Vardy is a definite upgrade on Giroud. He's not a long term solution but so what? I can't think of many other strikers we can go for. Vardy is a proven winner in the premier league. The only alternatives I can think of are Lukaku or Kane, neither of which are happening. I'd go for Lacazette but there's no indication that he'd hit the ground running here. Stay well clear off Morata as well. Plus we're not exactly in a position of leverage, considering Welbeck is out for the year and we're in desperate need of a striker, £20m is well worth it. I have a feeling we'll buy 1 or 2 more attacking options as well, and in that case we'll be fine going forward.

Vardy is a born winner, our squad lacks a lot of those. Would be great to sign a fighter for once with some actual bottle.

ReputationRep:
    I love how rival fans hate us so much, we are the most hated and I love that. ROFL.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if Arsenal signed Benzema.

The BS the fans would come up with would be even more hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Imagine if Arsenal signed Benzema.

The BS the fans would come up with would be even more hilarious.
    m8, this was an actual thing last summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Seville)
    m8, this was an actual thing last summer

"Rival fans hate us".
    YaGunnersYa

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.