Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
OhNoes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Too many things didn't make sense it the new episode...it was still good but they annoyed me .
Why was he on Scarro when it was apparently locked in time and inaccessible?
Where did these new Daleks come from? The Doctor seems to be constantly destroying the "last" Daleks?
Why is the genius human-dalek-companion a coffee girl for the crew in the ship, if shes a genius?

The worst thing is, why is the doctor killing things? O.o He let an entire plant of Daleks die, the older Doctors would refuse to kill a
shipful, even if they were about to destroy the earth! (Good old Tom Baker refused to at the end of series 1) I preferred the never using guns approach...but I guess he uses them as suicide bombs instead...

/rant over...sorry 'bout that...I liked the episode...but I miss the "vibe" the old episodes gave out...probably just David Tennents epicness...still, theres always hope the series starts to pick up!
Mr Tough
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lizolove)
What?! Oh my. I read that there were 5 too! I just heard that Karen isn't in it after 6, so I thought she leaves in the sixth. Maybe there are 5, you're probably right. Why are there only 5?! Flaming madness. I wait a year for it, and we only get 5 episodes.

HOW AMAZING WAS THE EPISODE? My favourite by far. Not predictable, clever, loved the characters.
I think the souffle girl was the new companion, wasn't she? I think I like her. Damn it. I wanted to dislike her, only because she's taking over Amy and Rory. Unless Rory stays... Or have you heard otherwise? )':

SO CLEVER.

Spoiler in case nobody has seen Episode 1 yet:
Spoiler:
Show
I was shocked that she stayed human despite being turned into a Dalek! If it is the new companion, which I think it is, it'll be interesting to see how her existence comes about. Maybe the doctor will find a way to bring her back. More than likely though, he'll just 'run into her' at some point. I wonder if she'll remember him...

Is she the new companion do you know?

Yeah wikipedia says 5 episodes (i'm guessing one every saturday from now, so the last will be on the 29th september?)...the next after that is the christmas special, so another 3 month (or so) wait, and then 7/8 more episodes in the New Year!

I really enjoyed that episode, I found series 5 to be quite a let down, series 6 was much better and that was equally good...

I quite enjoy an episode with an unpredictable twist at the end! And emotional drama of Rory/Amy together or not...almost shed a tear when Rory said what we all wondered deep down about his love for Amy not being equally reciprocated...her response and the continuing argument was quite a poignant moment for them as a couple I think.

Well his next companion from Christmas, or the second half of the series at least, is played by the same actor...I think there's two options for her character:

a) the boring option, nothing is made of it, it's assumed they are two different characters
b) someone else suggested that maybe the doctor was also hallucinating in the way Amy was, because he didn't have his wristband on...so maybe she somehow survives the explosion/escapes...maybe she forgets about him and then becomes his companion or they meet again or maybe she becomes his companion but has a hidden dark agenda against him which could work as he doesn't know what she looks like, I guess

Really not sure, we'll have to wait a few months and see!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Arthur Weasley and Argus Filch in the next episode!
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How sad.
Although I suppose it will be unexpected and not like the usual 'and they all lived happily ever after'. I hope Karen does a special return at some point in the future though, I will miss her... and Arthur of course!
I'm not sure - if Moffatt's comments mean what I think they mean, I'd rather she didn't come back.

I wouldn't say the happily ever after is used much in New Who when you look at the way the companions have gone so far.
Henna x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How sad.
Although I suppose it will be unexpected and not like the usual 'and they all lived happily ever after'. I hope Karen does a special return at some point in the future though, I will miss her... and Arthur of course!
I love Karen and Arthur but I think...

Spoiler:
Show
Having them leave in a heartbreaking way, for example, them dying will be a better twist and make for a much better story. We've never seen a companion die and I would love to see what affect that has on the Doctor and us as an audience.
I just realised I may sound sort of morbid

The spoiler is just discussing how Rory and Amy might leave
boba
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by laprenti)
She said something about 'whatever they did to me at demon's run', which implies that they messed about with her when they were delivering the baby

(Original post by foreverstrong_97)
She said whatever they did to her in demons run meaning they might have done something to her physically which meant she can no longer have baby's

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Fair enoughski. I would go and watch it again but alas. iPlayer won't work for me. :emo:
it could still be psychological, like "after whatever they did to me at demons run, I couldn't handle being pregnant again"
foreverstrong_97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by boba)
it could still be psychological, like "after whatever they did to me at demons run, I couldn't handle being pregnant again"
Hmm yeah good point I dunooe honestly maybe its their to not have a direct meaning and may be a plot later???? :hmmm:
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Henna x)
I love Karen and Arthur but I think...

Spoiler:
Show
Having them leave in a heartbreaking way, for example, them dying will be a better twist and make for a much better story. We've never seen a companion die and I would love to see what affect that has on the Doctor and us as an audience.
I just realised I may sound sort of morbid

The spoiler is just discussing how Rory and Amy might leave
I know what you mean. I will miss her though. Although the new one (who I thought would never be able to replace her) seems to have grown on me, and I've seen her in 1 episode and not as the companion! Big boots to fill though.
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alofleicester)
I'm not sure - if Moffatt's comments mean what I think they mean, I'd rather she didn't come back.

I wouldn't say the happily ever after is used much in New Who when you look at the way the companions have gone so far.
True. It would be very predictable. I wonder what will happen with River Song if Amy and Rory die or something. :eek:
Henna x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by boba)
If it was psychological, do you not think she would go see a therapist or someone who could help her get through the problem rather than just give Rory up?
She seems to really love him, i'm sure they would have tried any way possible to overcome the psychological issue... if that makes sense

But then again, who's to say they didn't try all that. I think it was just all rushed and they left a lot of information out :rolleyes:
Henna x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know what you mean. I will miss her though. Although the new one (who I thought would never be able to replace her) seems to have grown on me, and I've seen her in 1 episode and not as the companion! Big boots to fill though.
Me too, especially Rory. I thought he was great! And very funny. But your right, Jenna did well in the first episode and I think she'll do well as a companion. You have all that to look forward too and Amy has stayed longer than any other companion (I think :confused:)
boba
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it was psychological, do you not think she would go see a therapist or someone who could help her get through the problem rather than just give Rory up?
She seems to really love him, i'm sure they would have tried any way possible to overcome the psychological issue... if that makes sense

But then again, who's to say they didn't try all that. I think it was just all rushed and they left a lot of information out :rolleyes:
I dunno it being kidnapped for the duration of your pregnancy then having your baby taken from you and forced to kill your best friend is a pretty big thing to try and get over. especially since any therapist she talked to would probably just think she was crazy. but yeah they could of tried all that and it didn't work since they didn't really tell us anything it was blurted out in like 2 minutes.

I do agree that its more likely that its physical just throwing it out there that psychological is still a possibility.
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Me too, especially Rory. I thought he was great! And very funny. But your right, Jenna did well in the first episode and I think she'll do well as a companion. You have all that to look forward too and Amy has stayed longer than any other companion (I think :confused:)
Rory.
Jenna did very well.
:O Has she?! I will have to get the episodes on DVD, I will miss her and Rory too much!
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Yes Doc, I was kidnapped to an alien spaceship by a creepy woman and a species of beings that are right here, right now but as soon as you look away from them, you forget them. Then in this grand battle with monsters and friends, it turned out after my husband had rescued my baby, it was actually like an earlier version of me....a flesh avatar, it burst into goo and then I never saw it again as a baby. It does turn out she in fact was my best friend Mels in school and grows up to be a woman named River Song who is going to marry the Doctor, a time-travelling alien.

Not too sure how a psychiatrist might react to that to be fair.
Henna x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by boba)
I dunno it being kidnapped for the duration of your pregnancy then having your baby taken from you and forced to kill your best friend is a pretty big thing to try and get over. especially since any therapist she talked to would probably just think she was crazy. but yeah they could of tried all that and it didn't work since they didn't really tell us anything it was blurted out in like 2 minutes.

I do agree that its more likely that its physical just throwing it out there that psychological is still a possibility.
Lol when you put it like that I see your point. I didn't think that through very well

Yeah I see what you mean, but just thought i'd put my thoughts out there
Henna x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Rory.
Jenna did very well.
:O Has she?! I will have to get the episodes on DVD, I will miss her and Rory too much!
I think so Rose was in it for 2 series, Martha and Donna were only there for one, and Amy will have been in it for 2 and a half

Yeah, me too, but oh well. At least Matt's not leaving yet
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes Doc, I was kidnapped to an alien spaceship by a creepy woman and a species of beings that are right here, right now but as soon as you look away from them, you forget them. Then in this grand battle with monsters and friends, it turned out after my husband had rescued my baby, it was actually like an earlier version of me....a flesh avatar, it burst into goo and then I never saw it again as a baby. It does turn out she in fact was my best friend Mels in school and grows up to be a woman named River Song who is going to marry the Doctor, a time-travelling alien.

I'd imagine the likes of Torchwood and UNIT would have a few psychiatrists knocking around though - they'd find that a bit less weird.
Henna x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Ahem, I might not have thought my idea through properly it happens..
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think so Rose was in it for 2 series, Martha and Donna were only there for one, and Amy will have been in it for 2 and a half

Yeah, me too, but oh well. At least Matt's not leaving yet
Don't say YET. ):
I'll cry when he leaves.
I thought nobody could replace David Tennant, and to an extent, nobody can, but Matt has created a new Doctor who I love probably equally. It will be seriously difficult for anybody else to replace them both. Chris Eccleston wasn't my cup of tea. Maybe it was due to his short appearance as the Doctor.
Mystic123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How sad.
Karen has said

Spoiler:
Show
that she doesn't want to return and doesn't intend to be in the 50th anniversary episodes as she thinks that once Amy's story has been told that should be it - she said on the One Show on Friday that she doesn't want to overstay her welcome. It was a joint decision between her, Arthur Darvill and Steven Moffat that they should leave now.

Nothing too spoilery, just a quote from Karen but I tagged it just in case.
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mystic123)
Karen has said

Spoiler:
Show
that she doesn't want to return and doesn't intend to be in the 50th anniversary episodes as she thinks that once Amy's story has been told that should be it - she said on the One Show on Friday that she doesn't want to overstay her welcome. It was a joint decision between her, Arthur Darvill and Steven Moffat that they should leave now.

Nothing too spoilery, just a quote from Karen but I tagged it just in case.
Fair enough!
Thanks for this! Good find!

I will miss them though. I grew to love them! Especially Arthur. He's so cute.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (369)
37.24%
No - but I will (75)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (477)
48.13%

Watched Threads