Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deborarosa)
    Ill name a few Huguain, Gustavo, Suarez .....
    Higuain was snapped up by Napoli on an overpriced transfer - which is why it made sense not to pursue him.

Gustavo wanted to remain in the Bundesliga - what more could Wenger have done?

And as far as Suarez is concerned, Liverpool won't sell to a club they consider to be a rival, notwithstanding their overvaluation of the player - which, as you know, is something Wenger does not do.

So, again, which 'top class' players has Wenger refused to buy? Bear in mind that any top class player on the market, of which there are now none, will be bought by bigger clubs. Barcelona need some CBs, Real Madrid are still on the hunt for an addition to their attack, Man Utd need at least one CM, and the list goes on.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ology-training

Proof that Suarez is bigger than Liverpool
    Lol, you poor, poor kid. I told you all transfer window and even now that he's out of your reach, you're still sad about it. Understandable, but really by now you should be over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    Nothing wrong with getting a few more female gooners on here. Who remembers the Highbury screamer?!
    wasnt necessarily a lady ya kna'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Higuain was snapped up by Napoli on an overpriced transfer - which is why it made sense not to pursue him.

Gustavo wanted to remain in the Bundesliga - what more could Wenger have done?

And as far as Suarez is concerned, Liverpool won't sell to a club they consider to be a rival, notwithstanding their overvaluation of the player - which, as you know, is something Wenger does not do.

So, again, which 'top class' players has Wenger refused to buy? Bear in mind that any top class player on the market, of which there are now none, will be bought by bigger clubs. Barcelona need some CBs, Real Madrid are still on the hunt for an addition to their attack, Man Utd need at least one CM, and the list goes on.....
    That's not the point being made here. In this entire transfer window, you believe there was not a single player available who could improve our squad? AT ALL? You don't believe any players were available to increase squad depth? None? There's no point going into specific players as Wenger might have had different targets than the ones being reported by the media, but it's very clear that we've tried to be in the market and failed. I am still trying to be patient but the facts so far is that we've only signed Yaya Sanogo. If that is our only business this summer, it sends out a message that we're content just to be "near the top" rather than actually winning silverware. I'm aware of the need for patience - we have some excellent players and some players who will be brilliant in a few years, but fans have been patient for 8 years now. The truth is, Wenger needs someone alongside him to help him out with transfers.

Oh, and £35m for Higuain may be overpriced but at the end of the day if you want to buy a class striker with an incredible goalscoring record who would improve your team, sometimes that's what you've got to do. We failed to do that, chased Suarez instead, and have failed to get him.

This isn't a case of being anti-Wenger or anti-Arsenal - two things I am definitely not - it's a case of being a concerned fan who doesn't want us to drop down in the pecking order when our financial capabilities are just left as untapped potential because of Wenger's failures this summer. You can argue that United and Chelsea haven't spent much but at the end of the day, they don't need to beause they are both in far stronger positions than we are. Out of all the top 4 teams, Arsenal's place looked the least secure last season and it's the same story this season. If Wenger thinks this same team can get 1st this season (87-90 points), then why did it only scrape 4th (73 points) last season? I get that players will have improved, but that's not going to result in us getting 15+ more points than last season.

I get you want to stick up for Arsenal, personally I just can't understand how anyone can be satisfied with a Ligue 2 signing and large sums of money sat in the bank which just screams "we're happy to be 4th". I thought this summer would finally be different, and there's only 16 days left to prove so.

ReputationRep:
    Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
    Interesting from @garyjacob in today's @TimesSport. Wenger concedes #AFC unlikely to land a big name this summer

ReputationRep:
    At the Emirates. 3-1 Arsenal today, you heard it here first. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1376736693.042911.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  179.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
    Interesting from @garyjacob in today's @TimesSport. Wenger concedes #AFC unlikely to land a big name this summer
    If that's true, that's such a joke. After 8 years of nothing, at last we supposedly have enough to compete with the big teams on the transfer market, and we've settled for mediocrity once again.

Again, this might not be true, there's still a little over two weeks left till the window closes after all. But we've reached the beginning of the season where we've shipped off more than a dozen players, barely have a squad left, and have only added an unproven striker from the French second league.

Jesus ****ing christ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)

Oh, and £35m for Higuain may be overpriced but at the end of the day if you want to buy a class striker with an incredible goalscoring record who would improve your team, sometimes that's what you've got to do. We failed to do that, chased Suarez instead, and have failed to get him.
    This was basically a monumental **** up. Wenger presumably pulled out of Higuain because he believed Suarez would be available for marginally more. I don't really know who to blame for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    This was basically a monumental **** up. Wenger presumably pulled out of Higuain because he believed Suarez would be available for marginally more. I don't really know who to blame for that.
    who ever is responsible for getting arsenal their transfer information?

If it was the case that wenger was told that he could get suarez, for 40m - or higuian for 35m,

I think nearly all of us would have done as he did..

I have a lot of blame for wenger over this summer - but in this specific part, it does just seem like a monumental ****-up of information..

ReputationRep:
    Apparently line up is:

Szczesny, Sagna, Kos, Mertesacker, Gibbs; Ramsey Chamberlain; Rosicky, Wilshere, Theo, Giroud.
    Suggestions that Rosicky is gonna be LW, but I can't see past Ox and Theo on the wings, which makes much more sense imo.

ReputationRep:
    I see the turmoil already if arsenal don't beat aston villa :sogood: I saw this happening after the higuain deal failed

Whoever was in charge of transfers this year is a ********. If the warchest really was £70m, then overpaying on someone like Higuain shouldn't have been a problem. Looking for value in this market is a very difficult thing to do. The market is inflated and we just have to accept that. Shame Wenger doesnt accept it.

ReputationRep:
    Should be a belter of a game, the only 3pm kick off which is appealing to me apart from possibly the Cardiff one. Arsenal 3-1 my prediction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Apparently line up is:

Suggestions that Rosicky is gonna be LW, but I can't see past Ox and Theo on the wings, which makes much more sense imo.
    From that my guess on the formation would be:

Ramsey and Wilshere CM's
    Rosicky CAM
    Ox and Theo on wings
    Giroud ST

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a big name left to join us. Definitely not big name striker, maybe a big name CB or CM but we don't really need a big name in those position. Basically that tweet is true but we all knew that already.

What's so strange all this, is that it is the first window we've actually got the big dosh since Project Emirates (but probably in our history) and yet failed to sign anyone of note. In past season even with little money, we've always managed to sign players albeit at smaller fee. Really strange when you think of it that way. The only conclusion I could make with all this is that maybe there's some truth to Wenger leaving next summer when his contract is up and leaving the money for the next guy :dontknow: but then the pursue of Higuain, Bender and Suarez discredits this assertion. So...........

But something that doesn't get mentioned is that it is the first time in a 3 seasons where we haven't lost anyone relevant. So this should really be comforting but, it is just 0.0000000000000000000001% comfort. But I'm happy we've got rid of many of the deadwoods, I know people are worried about the threadbare squad we have, i share that worry but it's not like any of the players we've let go fill us with confidence.

(Original post by jam277)
    I see the turmoil already if arsenal don't beat aston villa :sogood: I saw this happening after the higuain deal failed
    :rollseye: Of course you did

ReputationRep:
    Old age getting to Wenger? Or just not good enough for the modern game?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Old age getting to Wenger? Or just not good enough for the modern game?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    he can certianly still manage a team... - getting top4 with last seasons squad, was nothing short of a miracle..

But

I think he is out of his depth in the modern transfer window. - it feels like an old man who hasnt adapted to modern ways.

Arsenal would be vastly improved if the transfers were taken out of his hands (though ofcourse he could still advise/help)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    he can certianly still manage a team... - getting top4 with last seasons squad, was nothing short of a miracle..

But

I think he is out of his depth in the modern transfer window. - it feels like an old man who hasnt adapted to modern ways.

Arsenal would be vastly improved if the transfers were taken out of his hands (though ofcourse he could still advise/help)
    Yeah I agree. It's all good and well being astute and looking to pay what he believes are the players' worth but he needs to realise that in modern football you'll only be so successful in buying players. Funny thing is he always goes on about new teams entering the market from France and bulking up the price. So from that he should realise you have to pay over the market value.

Wenger thinks he has an ally in Manchester United this summer because they're also struggling :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Yeah I agree. It's all good and well being astute and looking to pay what he believes are the players' worth but he needs to realise that in modern football you'll only be so successful in buying players. Funny thing is he always goes on about new teams entering the market from France and bulking up the price. So from that he should realise you have to pay over the market value.

Wenger thinks he has an ally in Manchester United this summer because they're also struggling :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I always find 'over the market value' - a wierd phrase..

In this situation, the market is cleraly valuing top players, higher then in previous season..

If the market/majority of top clubs are paying these prices.. - then the inflated prices ARE the market value..

It kinda feels what wenger wants to pay.. is 2-3 years behind the current-market-value price for a player..

ReputationRep:
    70 milly back in the piggybank I guess then lads.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.