The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How long does the exam period go on for? People have been doing exams for a while now, haven't they?

I'll be done tomorrow, once I complete my paper. Next study year I'm studying economics. Does anyone have any idea how much maths is involved in that? I'm a bit nervous about it.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
How long does the exam period go on for? People have been doing exams for a while now, haven't they?

I'll be done tomorrow, once I complete my paper. Next study year I'm studying economics. Does anyone have any idea how much maths is involved in that? I'm a bit nervous about it.
Exams begin about 30th April and end 1st of July for A-level.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Exams begin about 30th April and end 1st of July for A-level.
Oh wow, that's a long time. And then results are in August, I think?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh wow, that's a long time. And then results are in August, I think?
13th, oh how I wish I did IB, their results are sooner as are Scottish Highers.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yeah, I hate the wait for results! Mine is about six weeks this year, I think.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Depends on the exact course modules and university. You'll definitely need to be aware of algebra and graphs.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Second poll since the election...

CON - 41%
LAB - 30%
UKIP 13%
LDEM - 7%
GRN - 4%
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Depends on the exact course modules and university. You'll definitely need to be aware of algebra and graphs.
Thanks, Rakas! I had an A for my A-level maths, but I've been focusing on politics and philosophy since, so I'm worried that I am a bit rusty. Might do a refresher course this summer to be on the safe side.
Tahret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Second poll since the election...

CON - 41%
LAB - 30%
UKIP 13%
LDEM - 7%
GRN - 4%
What a joke these polls are! They're still undoubtedly wrong given the actual GE results with the Tories only getting 38%.
Tahret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
All I can remember is that is that in the exams there were three questions, one was just a definition, one something really easy then a big long one that was basically a small essay. I remember doing UK political system one year and US the other. Both were really easy.

Edit: no actually there must have been some modules I remember doing pressure groups.
Yeah, pressure groups and elections was what I did today for part of the AS. I think the UK political system and the US are A2 units.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
I wasn't. How is my family coming from Ireland a diss on the Irish (unless, that was an inplicit diss on me)?
T'was clearly a diss on you bludd!! You get me fam-a-lam! Buh!!!
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
The SQA Results are on the 5th August, and IB at the beginning of July - 5th or 6th I believe.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
The SQA Results are on the 5th August, and IB at the beginning of July - 5th or 6th I believe.
July 6th.
TBH though I'd have done IB if I had the option anyway. It looks much better then A-levels and it's more interesting.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
July 6th.
TBH though I'd have done IB if I had the option anyway. It looks much better then A-levels and it's more interesting.
REALLY!? It depends what subjects you're doing - like, for me, the IB doesn't give the specific subjects I would want to do, as I'd have to do English and a language. I knew what job sector, and uni course I wanted to do, and so being able to do 4 a levels totally specific to that was fine for me... And with EPQs coming more common, the extended essay from IB isn't so much as a selling point.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
REALLY!? It depends what subjects you're doing - like, for me, the IB doesn't give the specific subjects I would want to do, as I'd have to do English and a language. I knew what job sector, and uni course I wanted to do, and so being able to do 4 a levels totally specific to that was fine for me... And with EPQs coming more common, the extended essay from IB isn't so much as a selling point.
Yeah, Mainly because I'd be able to study more subjects that I enjoy then I currently do and I think it'd be more interesting to study the IB then a few A-levels. You could do an EPQ with the IB to look really good I guess. But yeah it's not that great right now I guess.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yeah, Mainly because I'd be able to study more subjects that I enjoy then I currently do and I think it'd be more interesting to study the IB then a few A-levels. You could do an EPQ with the IB to look really good I guess. But yeah it's not that great right now I guess.
Fair enough - don't get me wrong, I think the IB has a place for anyone who has no idea what they want to study at uni etc as it gives more options... just not for everyone.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My only objection to A levels is that people do too few to get the best result they can when education should be a challenge. I also think that resits should be capped at a C, the number of people who take resits when they already have A/B grades on here is stupid and abusive of the system.

If it was upto me i'd make you all take a language, a maths/science and then your three choices.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My only objection to A levels is that people do too few to get the best result they can when education should be a challenge. I also think that resits should be capped at a C, the number of people who take resits when they already have A/B grades on here is stupid and abusive of the system.

If it was upto me i'd make you all take a language, a maths/science and then your three choices.
not really feasible though is it. Most people can't do 5 subjects in a qualification designed to be done in threes.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Urgh, whilst I agree that taking a language probably is a good idea for the majority of jobs in the future, I must say that I'd be ****ing pissed off if I'd had to do a language .

I think 4 A levels is a good number though, but I think when people drop to 3, it's taking the easy way out
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

yes, that's why I like IB, but I wonder if A-levels are too in-death to realistically take more then 4.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads