Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mun91)
    Hey guys. Do you guys know of any cheap temporary accommodation near University of Leicester? My term accommodation in Opal only starts from 29th September onwards. I am expected to be there early September. However, I will arrive earlier than that say, 28th August? Most of the private halls only offered me a stay for about 2 weeks. . I need a temporary accommodation for about 31 days.
    Hi I have to be back in late Aug early Sept too (failed my exam)
    I know Nixon does provide accommodation service during summer so I sent them an email, this is their reply:
    We do offer vacation accommodation in Nixon Court and Freemen’s Common. This is for a minimum booking of 1 week and is available anytime between the end of July and 13th September. The applications for vacation accommodation will be available to book from next week. Please keep checking the website for more information. Please note that we cannot guarantee vacation accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyParrot)
    Hi I have to be back in late Aug early Sept too (failed my exam)
    I know Nixon does provide accommodation service during summer so I sent them an email, this is their reply:
    We do offer vacation accommodation in Nixon Court and Freemen’s Common. This is for a minimum booking of 1 week and is available anytime between the end of July and 13th September. The applications for vacation accommodation will be available to book from next week. Please keep checking the website for more information. Please note that we cannot guarantee vacation accommodation.
    I am sorry to hear that HappyParrot. You will do just fine the next round! Yeah. No halls can provide a temporary stay up to a month. The thought of having to shift a couple of times until the term accommodation is available scares me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone know the room layouts for self catered standard single?

I recall from the open day some halls were arranged where a whole corridor of 20-30 rooms would share a communal kitchen/bathroom, and others were arranged where a cluster of 6 or so rooms had their own kitchen/bathroom. Any ideas which halls have the latter arrangement.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkey101)
    Hi,

I recall from the open day some halls were arranged where a whole corridor of 20-30 rooms would share a communal kitchen/bathroom, and others were arranged where a cluster of 6 or so rooms had their own kitchen/bathroom. Any ideas which halls have the latter arrangement.

Cheers!

Hiya!
    It sounds like you're talking about the converted houses so that'll be self-catered single in John Foster and GMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoe_grace)
    Hi, Can anyone tell me which accommodation they think would be best for me please?
    I'm trying to choose between Beaumont and GMS.... I want an en suite .....I would prefer to be self catered but is self catered significantly less sociable? I really want to be somewhere with a nice atmosphere where people go out frequently and is really sociable?... Thanks
    Beaumont has very few self-catered rooms, so I'd go self-catered GMS. The best of the lot is Bowder Court, 6 to a flat, 18 to a block, massive kitchens so very sociable! I's say self-catered is actually more sociable, because you have large kitchens to socialize in rather than the teeny one's in catered! Self-catered ensuite John Foster is nice too
    Hope this helps! Feel free to message me for more info

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Cheers!
    Pretty sure that no hall has 20-30 rooms sharing the one bathroom/kitchen....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimbaLion)
    Hiya!
    It sounds like you're talking about the converted houses so that'll be self-catered single in John Foster and GMS
    That's great, Ive gone for GMS for first choice, haven't heard a great deal of good things about john foster so randomly picked the rest; guess ill see where I get put!
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Yeah that does seem a bit crazy, I most likely misheard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    There is a large number in beaumont that does but not 20/30

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's great, Ive gone for GMS for first choice, haven't heard a great deal of good things about john foster so randomly picked the rest; guess ill see where I get put!

Yeah that does seem a bit crazy, I most likely misheard.
    In Beaumont there is three blocks of 20-30 people on a ground and first floor. They are all catered students and each have one kitchen on each floor. They then have two bathrooms on each side of the block with two/three showers and toilets in each. Hope this clarifies things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunter_scfc)
    In Beaumont there is three blocks of 20-30 people on a ground and first floor. They are all catered students and each have one kitchen on each floor. They then have two bathrooms on each side of the block with two/three showers and toilets in each. Hope this clarifies things.
    Thats the only thing that put me off about the big corridors of so many.... the one kitchen. Would people have to just keep snacks of their own in rooms? And made me wonder how would fridge space work with so many!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart1995)
    Thats the only thing that put me off about the big corridors of so many.... the one kitchen. Would people have to just keep snacks of their own in rooms? And made me wonder how would fridge space work with so many!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most people keep stuff like snacks/tins in their room, which isn't a problem as there is enough space. You have two fridges and there is always enough room for stuff to go in. The kitchen, in catered, tend to be only for light snacks as well though so i've never found it a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone reside off campus or used the SULETS to find a a place of residence for the academic year. I'm an international student looking for a place to stay and I'm checking out all my options, which is quite difficult to do when I can't actually tour these places.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zander16)
    Hey, i'm a current first year staying in John Fosters so if you need any info i'm happy to help
    I have my accomodation firmed and I am in John Foster Hall, Spinneys House Floor 1 Room 15 premium single room.
    Does this mean that I am actually in one of the houses ??

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if its possible to make amendments to the accom form, as I'm under a conditional offer, so haven't been allocated a room yet?
    It sounds ridiculously fussy, but I find it really difficult to sleep if the bed is against the wrong wall (it sounds ridiculous as I type it, but its true!) and I didn't even think of adding anything like this in the notes section ... is there any chance I could add this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Does anyone know if its possible to make amendments to the accom form, as I'm under a conditional offer, so haven't been allocated a room yet?
    It sounds ridiculously fussy, but I find it really difficult to sleep if the bed is against the wrong wall (it sounds ridiculous as I type it, but its true!) and I didn't even think of adding anything like this in the notes section ... is there any chance I could add this?
    If you apply for a premium ensuite at Opal then you don't have to worry because the bed locates in the center of the room

ReputationRep:
    Hey, The earlier replies in this thread indicate that JoFo 'used' to cost the most?
    I am in the process of applying for accomodation, and I am not sure where to apply, if they all cost the same now - is JoFo the better choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Efikal :D)
    Hey, The earlier replies in this thread indicate that JoFo 'used' to cost the most?
    I am in the process of applying for accomodation, and I am not sure where to apply, if they all cost the same now - is JoFo the better choice?
    Hey. I've had a quick look to see if what you were saying about 'Jofo used to cost more' to see if the statement was true. It all depends on the type of room you are allocated. Technically you could get a room in Beaumont (viewed as cheaper) which costs more than a room in John Foster. It is down to the room type. However, the majority of Jofo are of the more expensive type hence why they are viewed as 'more expensive'. Say for example you wanted to live in a standard catered room (one of the cheapest) it is possible but 458 rooms out of 480 are ensuite so your chances are slim. I hope this all makes sense (revision is making me tired).

Ultimately you need to think about a few things when deciding where and what to apply for: cost, self-catered vs catered, atmosphere, type of building. Beaumont is known more for the atmosphere and being relatively cheaper than the other accommodation. However, where the atmosphere is will depend year on year as it ultimately boils down to who you are living with. My concern with choosing Jofo when i was in this process (last year) was if i ended up in a flat with four/five other people and we didn't have anything in common. Now i ended up in a block with 30 people on one floor (Beaumont). If you are willing to pay more to live in the nicer buildings go for Jofo but definitely consider Beaumont and GMS. I can't really answer a lot on Jofo but i have seen posts on here from current Jofo students so asking them maybe a good start.

I apologise for the essay and i do hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunter_scfc)
    ".."
    Hey,
    OK it makes perfect sense, I just assumed the pricing changed since 2011 (thread start) or so - I'm really out of the loop with Leicesters housing (Pretty sure I'm heading Leicester now) so I just wanna get to the more sociable/active accom.

Thanks for help and good luck in your studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanwake7)
    I have my accomodation firmed and I am in John Foster Hall, Spinneys House Floor 1 Room 15 premium single room.
    Does this mean that I am actually in one of the houses ??
    Spinneys House is a small cottage like block on Manor Road. Its not an actual apartment block like the others but works in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Just sleep the other way up if it's the wrong side, that's what I do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.