Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    I just like answering questions
    You and me both - I'll give you that
    Just that some of them Qs give you the urge to just convert yourself into a scripted forum-bot that auto-answers them - without you actually expending brainpower and finger stamina

ReputationRep:
    I just like answering questions

(Original post by arianex)
    You and me both - I'll give you that
    Just that some of them Qs give you the urge to just convert yourself into a scripted forum-bot that auto-answers them - without you actually expending brainpower and finger stamina
    You two just got too much time to burn on your hands.
    Fancy doing 6 A-levels? xD
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dark-Myth)
    Wouldn't mind doing 6 A levels actually. I'm pretty bored.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't reply to this Q because I was wondering if he/she/it (well, the username DOES have 3 little piggies) was for real. o.o I mean, it's in the name, and also on the website...

Surprisingly, there *are* some peeps there who maintain their citizenships from Douchebagistan - whether they have that "luxury" of anonymity (that they had on TSR) or not.

Chuckle. I'm actually with crazylemon on this one, waaaay too many horror stories about the Freshman 15... xD

Freshman 15 =OOOO????!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark-Myth)
    Fancy having a life, China?

(Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    Freshman 15 =OOOO????!!!!!
    Ehehe. It refers to an amount (don't know why it's somehow set at 15 lbs, must be arbitary) of weight gained during one's first year at college/uni...it's quite a common phrase in the US of A and Canada. Where my cousins are (Aussie, but let's include NZ), it's sometimes called "Fresher's spread", "Fresher's 5 (kilos)", "First Year Fatties".

It seems to ring really true though; a lot of my skinny seniors - both male and female - seem to have fallen prey to it come uni time (Facebook's good for "keeping track" of this sorta thing xD) Happens a lil' less often here though, because I suppose our portions/food aren't as bad as the Yanks'...well, depends on your habits.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Everywhere is self-catered. There are some canteens/cafes at the uni itself but I think learning to cook is a good idea. It's an important life skill after all.
    Okay thanks!

ReputationRep:

Ehehe. It refers to an amount (don't know why it's somehow set at 15 lbs, must be arbitary) of weight gained during one's first year at college/uni...it's quite a common phrase in the US of A and Canada. Where my cousins are (Aussie, but let's include NZ), it's sometimes called "Fresher's spread", "Fresher's 5 (kilos)", "First Year Fatties".

It seems to ring really true though; a lot of my skinny seniors - both male and female - seem to have fallen prey to it come uni time (Facebook's good for "keeping track" of this sorta thing xD) Happens a lil' less often here though, because I suppose our portions/food aren't as bad as the Yanks'...well, depends on your habits.
    I lost a bit of weight at uni.
    But then I attempted to become ethanol powered for a short period of time.

ReputationRep:

Gaining a couple of kilos is good ^^ keeps you warm during winter

lol at my Russian mentality

ReputationRep:
    Ah sh*t. Submitted my application a week ago and put in eastside and southside for the high weekly price band. Regretted doing so since. Emailed the accommodation people and they said they can only change your prefernece if there is a medical/welfare issue.

ReputationRep:
    Gaining a couple of kilos is good ^^ keeps you warm during winter

lol at my Russian mentality
    So does a good swig of vodka...

I'd rather the extra kilos on me came from layers of clothes. Admittedly I do fluctuate a bit depending on the seasons, but hey... ^^

ReputationRep:
    So does a good swig of vodka...

I'd rather the extra kilos on me came from layers of clothes. Admittedly I do fluctuate a bit depending on the seasons, but hey... ^^
    I am trying to learn how to cook a delicious soup but it seems like trying to design a nuclear power reactor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam242424)
    Ah sh*t. Submitted my application a week ago and put in eastside and southside for the high weekly price band. Regretted doing so since. Emailed the accommodation people and they said they can only change your prefernece if there is a medical/welfare issue.
    It being unaffordable IS a welfare issue I would have thought?

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to learn how to cook a delicious soup but it seems like trying to design a nuclear power reactor.
    Ah bless What's so challenging about it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Tell them you just don't have that much money and therefore would end up starving. Surely that would count as a welfare issue?

ReputationRep:
    Make one up / Excessive spending = mental breakdown.

ReputationRep:
    Sent a second email asking whether budgeting problems count as welfare issues...

ReputationRep:
    Sent a second email asking whether budgeting problems count as welfare issues...
    I'd actually consider phoning the Student Accommodation Center and sort your fix out that way - you'll be assured that it's a real person and not an autoresponse script you'll end up dealing with, and you'll clear things up there and then. Besides, they won't bite. (They shouldn't. )

ReputationRep:
    I'd actually consider phoning the Student Accommodation Center and sort your fix out that way - you'll be assured that it's a real person and not an autoresponse script you'll end up dealing with, and you'll clear things up there and then. Besides, they won't bite. (They shouldn't. )
    They are lovely. Well to me anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    is their any advantage in applying early for accomodation? is there a deadline?

i feel ive left it a bit late and im worried my "popular" choices will all be taken already

sorry if questions have already been asnwered
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Una Cerveza, Por Favor)
    is their any advantage in applying early for accomodation? is there a deadline?

i feel ive left it a bit late and im worried my "popular" choices will all be taken already

sorry if questions have already been asnwered
    It's not first come first served. Everyone who gets their application in before the deadline (29th July) gets equal consideration.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.