well half
    but hello

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minniiee)
    hello
    im turkish
    well half
    but hello
    Hi, i've always seen you around and i have always thought you were scottish and full white.

From your picture you don't seem half turkish :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    :console:
    Australian aborigines eat budgies. It's not part of the Turkish culture to :nah:
    They've both been lying to me
    Where were you, to help me out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hogwartz)
    They've both been lying to me

Where were you, to help me out?
    Busy trying to not be this:

a full time geek.
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    You have budgie?
    I think the only meat i have is chicken.

Ohh, so it does come naturally? Maybe they found that we have a biological trait that helps us to know how to cook.

A ballerina show....
    It's strictly girls only i'm a afraid.
    Last time a boy wanting to join, but they didn't let him :no:
    I felt sorry for the poor guy.
    I had three budgies once.. But they all died.. :bawling:

Wha? You dont eat lamb or beef? :curious:

Yes

so umm how are you thinking of paying me for me teaching you turkish and cooking :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i've always seen you around and i have always thought you were scottish and full white.

hahahha why scottish?
    and i know im pasty compared to my family (except my dad)
    when i go on holiday people approach my boyfriend (english) and talk to him in turkish and approach me and talk to me in english lol
    i guess i inherited dads genes lol

Many Turks are white. You've already said that you've never been to Turkey and you've made it even more obvious with this rather bizzare sentence.

I'm going to suppose that you're from London and that you've never been outside of it. The vast majority of Turks who've migrated to this country come from poverty stricken backgrounds and are, more often than not, completely uneducated. In the same way that the majority of these poverty stricken people are Blacks from Brazil, or Gypsies from Romania, they are Kurds from Turkey. Kurdish people, having been settled on the land for a long time have a more distinct appearance than the nomadic Turks. They're often quite dark in complexion and have dark hair. As I have already described, most Turks who've migrated to this country are of Kurdish background and are thus responsible for the image in your head of Turkish people being rather dark skinned and hairy, when the reality is that we're far more diverse than that.

How can a person 'seem' Turkish? :curious:

Here are some artist impressions of what our ancestors looked like:

6th the 8th centuries

Spoiler:
      Show

11th to 12th centuries

Spoiler:
      Show

14th century and beyond

Spoiler:
      Show

You'll notice that there's a dramatic change in appearance from the Ottoman Empire. This is because of their 'millet' policy whereby if you were Muslim you were an Ottoman regardless of race or ethnicity. In fact, the Ottomans never called themselves 'Turks', they called themselves 'Ottoman'. The settled Turks also interbred with the Anatolian population to create the mixture we have now. When Ataturk came into power, a lot of ethnic exchange also took place. The Ottoman Empire had collapsed so in order to bring the people back to the 'homeland' from lost territories a policy took place whereby (if we take Greece as an example) the Muslim population migrated to Turkey and the Christian population migrated to Greece. As a result of this ethnic migration a lot of ethnic Turks migrated elsewhere and a lot of Greek and other ethnic converts to Islam migrated to Turkey. In the aftermath of it all the people became 'Turkish' as we know it today were the Muslim people of the Ottoman Empire regardless of whether their ancestors were Greek, Armenian, Turkish, Circassian or whatever.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
      Many Turks are white. You've already said that you've never been to Turkey and you've made it even more obvious with this rather bizzare sentence.

I'm going to suppose that you're from London and that you've never been outside of it. The vast majority of Turks who've migrated to this country come from poverty stricken backgrounds and are, more often than not, completely uneducated. In the same way that the majority of these poverty stricken people are Blacks from Brazil, or Gypsies from Romania, they are Kurds from Turkey. Kurdish people, having been settled on the land for a long time have a more distinct appearance than the nomadic Turks. They're often quite dark in complexion and have dark hair. As I have already described, most Turks who've migrated to this country are of Kurdish background and are thus responsible for the image in your head of Turkish people being rather dark skinned and hairy, when the reality is that we're far more diverse than that.

How can a person 'seem' Turkish? :curious:

Here are some artist impressions of what our ancestors looked like:

6th the 8th centuries

Spoiler:
      Show

11th to 12th centuries

Spoiler:
      Show

14th century and beyond

Spoiler:
      Show

You'll notice that there's a dramatic change in appearance from the Ottoman Empire. This is because of their 'millet' policy whereby if you were Muslim you were an Ottoman regardless of race or ethnicity. In fact, the Ottomans never called themselves 'Turks', they called themselves 'Ottoman'. The settled Turks also interbred with the Anatolian population to create the mixture we have now. When Ataturk came into power, a lot of ethnic exchange also took place. The Ottoman Empire had collapsed so in order to bring the people back to the 'homeland' from lost territories a policy took place whereby (if we take Greece as an example) the Muslim population migrated to Turkey and the Christian population migrated to Greece. As a result of this ethnic migration a lot of ethnic Turks migrated elsewhere and a lot of Greek and other ethnic converts to Islam migrated to Turkey. In the aftermath of it all the people became 'Turkish' as we know it today were the Muslim people of the Ottoman Empire regardless of whether their ancestors were Greek, Armenian, Turkish, Circassian or whatever.
      tbf to them even my mother says i dont look turkish
      however by non - white i took her to mean olive skinned which id say is fairly accurate (my family comes from the west asian side/black sea)
      and your history bit was interesting because i didnt know that
      i only knew that our ancestors are actually mongolian and descendants of genghis kahn (from what ive been told...)
      and ive always assumed that thats why people ask me if my mother's chinese.... lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ibs137)
      I had three budgies once.. But they all died.. :bawling:

Wha? You dont eat lamb or beef? :curious:

Yes

so umm how are you thinking of paying me for me teaching you turkish and cooking :hmmmm:
      Go away you lied to me
      We don't eat budgies :no:

hahahha why scottish?
      and i know im pasty compared to my family (except my dad)
      when i go on holiday people approach my boyfriend (english) and talk to him in turkish and approach me and talk to me in english lol
      i guess i inherited dads genes lol
      I think scottish because probably the colour of your hair, or ones there was this girl that looked exactly like you on TV.

I am :ahee:
      How did you know?

Turks are hairy? Why do people think that, i'm not hairy :no:

Also, apologies as i found difficulties trying to read your clogged up paragraph.

tbf to them even my mother says i dont look turkish
        however by non - white i took her to mean olive skinned which id say is fairly accurate (my family comes from the west asian side/black sea)
        If we take a look at the map of Turkey,

Spoiler:
        Show

We can see that the Black Sea coastline is the largest, larger than the Mediterannean and Aegean coastlines. People from the Black Sea region have a culture which is unique to the rest of Turkey. This is because their background is generally of Pontic and Laz descent. It's worth bearing note that the Pontic people are a Greek people and there are certainly whites among them.

Typical Laz person:

Spoiler:
        Show

Woman of Pontic descent:

Spoiler:
        Show

They also have an accent which is rather unusual, almost akin to the Scouse accent of England. For example, they will pronounce 'geliyorum' as 'celiyorum' and tend to replace the 'g' with 'c' quite a lot.

i only knew that our ancestors are actually mongolian and descendants of genghis kahn (from what ive been told...)
        Well, our ancestors were related to the Mongolians, but they weren't actually Mongolian. If we look at this from a Linguistic perspective, it might help describe our relationship.

The Turkish language, is of the Turkic language group. In that group you have Turkmen, Azeri, Kazakh and many others, all of whom have Turkish ancestory. Now the Turkic languages are part of the Altaic language group. The Altay mountains, from which the name 'Altaic' comes from, is the ancesteral homeland of the Turks. Mongolian also falls under the Altaic branch.

So if you were to imagine this as a pyramid, you'd have one block on the top called 'Altaic' and two blocks under it called 'Turkic' and 'Mongolic'. Under the 'Turkic' block then you'd have all the different blocks, namely 'Turkish', 'Azeri', etc.

ReputationRep:
        Go away you lied to me
        We don't eat budgies :no:

I think scottish because probably the colour of your hair, or ones there was this girl that looked exactly like you on TV.

I am :ahee:
        How did you know?

Turks are hairy? Why do people think that, i'm not hairy :no:

Also, apologies as i found difficulties trying to read your clogged up paragraph.
        my hair is brown...? like at least half of the population of the uk...??
        and yes turks are in general hairy. or at least appear so (dark hair + paler skin looks hairy)
        we in general have thicker hair on our heads at least and men have a general tendency to have hair pretty much everywhere lol

ReputationRep:
        If we take a look at the map of Turkey,

Spoiler:
        Show

We can see that the Black Sea coastline is the largest, larger than the Mediterannean and Aegean coastlines. People from the Black Sea region have a culture which is unique to the rest of Turkey. This is because their background is generally of Pontic and Laz descent. It's worth bearing note that the Pontic people are a Greek people and there are certainly whites among them.

Typical Laz person:

Spoiler:
        Show

Woman of Pontic descent:

Spoiler:
        Show

They also have an accent which is rather unusual, almost akin to the Scouse accent of England. For example, they will pronounce 'geliyorum' as 'celiyorum' and tend to replace the 'g' with 'c' quite a lot.

Well, our ancestors were related to the Mongolians, but they weren't actually Mongolian. If we look at this from a Linguistic perspective, it might help describe our relationship.

The Turkish language, is of the Turkic language group. In that group you have Turkmen, Azeri, Kazakh and many others, all of whom have Turkish ancestory. Now the Turkic languages are part of the Altaic language group. The Altay mountains, from which the name 'Altaic' comes from, is the ancesteral homeland of the Turks. Mongolian also falls under the Altaic branch.

So if you were to imagine this as a pyramid, you'd have one block on the top called 'Altaic' and two blocks under it called 'Turkic' and 'Mongolic'. Under the 'Turkic' block then you'd have all the different blocks, namely 'Turkish', 'Azeri', etc.
        fair enough
        i went to an exhibition about mongolia and their descendents and it seemed to imply that the link was more direct
        and i was also told that the other languages closest to turkish were suomi/finnish and japanese (the japanese one i heard once and am still not convinced but the finnish bit ive actually heard a lot)
        how do you know all this?
        i've always wished my mum taught me more
        i do believe my ancestors are laz (from over hearing - and that kid looks just like my cousin haha)
        but i know also that alot of my ancestors are tatar (im sorry idk how you spell it)

p.s. i dont mean to appear stupid/naive - i realise im generally clueless and actually want to learn more

ReputationRep:
        my hair is brown...? like at least half of the population of the uk...??
        and yes turks are in general hairy. or at least appear so (dark hair + paler skin looks hairy)
        we in general have thicker hair on our heads at least and men have a general tendency to have hair pretty much everywhere lol
        LOL, yes i know, but it wasn't just the hair, the hair reinforced it..it looks chestnut.
        They're hairy? lol, thats the first i've heard of it.
        Hairy beasts!
        Yes i have thick hair on my head...but thats about it.

By the way, you are i the same position as me, i do not know much about Turkish people either...and i'm sounding very dumb :yes:
        I even believed when someone told me that they eat budgies

ReputationRep:
        LOL, yes i know, but it wasn't just the hair, the hair reinforced it..it looks chestnut.
        They're hairy? lol, thats the first i've heard of it.
        Hairy beasts!
        Yes i have thick hair on my head...but thats about it.

By the way, you are i the same position as me, i do not know much about Turkish people either...and i'm sounding very dumb :yes:
        I even believed when someone told me that they eat budgies
        i still dont get how i look scottish...
        in fact what does a scottish person look like...?

does anyone even eat budgies lol?

im pretty clued up on most aspects of the culture..
        just not the history

im assuming its your granparents that are turkish...

ReputationRep:
        i still dont get how i look scottish...
        in fact what does a scottish person look like...?

does anyone even eat budgies lol?

im pretty clued up on most aspects of the culture..
        just not the history

im assuming its your granparents that are turkish...
        I don't know either now :dontknow:

.... Well they both said it, so then i assumed...it was true, because in russia they eat dogs!

Yes my grandparents are only turkish, but still i want to know more.
        So when you date, do you usually date turkish men?

ReputationRep:
        I don't know either now :dontknow:

.... Well they both said it, so then i assumed...it was true, because in russia they eat dogs!

Yes my grandparents are only turkish, but still i want to know more.
        So when you date, do you usually date turkish men?
        in a lot of places they eat dogs - but i didnt know they did it in russia...

fair enough...
        no
        i date whichever man im attracted to
        however i do not know any turkish my age so could not even if i wanted to

ReputationRep:
        I like turkish men
        You should hook up with this guy here.
        http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=229069
        thats how he looks like.

(Original post by ibs137)
        I like half turkish girls

ReputationRep:
        This thread has gotten busy, ey! For you guys, I share a couple of video's to brighten up your day.

I present to you, true Turkish raving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_chmqHMlqzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR_VhfxAnXU

Enjoy

ReputationRep:
        You should hook up with this guy here.
        http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=229069
        thats how he looks like.
        umm... nice paraphrasing....

ReputationRep:
        umm... nice paraphrasing....
        It's my job
        So what do you think :perv:

He told me he likes brunettes :yep:
        and ...humans....who are girls...:ninja:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.