Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    I'm not a grad but I'm on 24k starting so to be fair 28k isn't a big jump.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope tis not. BEsides, I also work shift

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    It doesn't help that when I was about 16/17 we were in a rescission so getting minimum wage jobs was quite difficult as they then required someone with years of experience in shelve stacking and as a 16/17 year old I didn't have that.

I did volunteer at some places in the summers I have that in my CV and that didn't help me secure employment.
    I've basically been lied to and been told that doing my degree will make it easier for me to get a job, which I believed when I was a naive 6th former
    I don't think they lied, but unfortunately, a lot of staff in schools don't actually understand the employment situation right now, because they are adults who grew up at a time when less people went to uni and there were more jobs available for graduates, with less competition. Nobody who has tried getting an entry-level job since 2009 could possibly think a degree on its own was going to get you a job. Experience is the only thing that can get you a job, the degree is not for that. The degree is for networking, and allowing you access to higher paid jobs when you do get a foothold.

It wasn't supposed to be this way, but that's the way it is. Degrees are not a total waste of money, but they are not a pathway to a job for most people. In order to get a job, you need experience, which usually means unpaid volunteering. Degrees allow you access to Masters degrees, which are more likely to get you a job, and they give you better promotion prospects in certain industries, but they are not a passport into employment. Anyhow you can't change the past, but you can adapt to the present and prepare for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSci89)
    I must've looked at 2-3 different IT graduate schemes and they stated they will take 2.2 Computer Science degrees. 2.2 is quite acceptable, I know one of my cousins friends who got a 2.2 from Aston, 21, no work experience got a software development job while applying to a lot of jobs. My two other cousins with 2.2 in pharmacy, 2.2 in construction management from polytechnics with no prior work experience are in their respective jobs. Their is also a mature student who is 28, got a 2.2 in petroleum engineering and he got a job quicker than most of his classmates. Also their are other people who got 2.2 in Comp Sci on this forum and they are doing masters at top uni. I know another guy who a 2.2 in History 10 years later he is on a high salary! I guy with a 3rd got a job from Hull.

State the languages you learn, C++ is a big one, try to do some open source projects or offer to help out students with coding or do some volunteer work in IT and you will have something on your CV which may get you into a job.

Keep going and good luck OP!
    Bumped for inspiration.

Also here is a guy who failed his degree and four years later he is on £77k http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3101351

I've looked at many programming jobs and 80% of these jobs do not require a degree, learn a popular language such as C#, Java, C++, create your own projects, contribute on open source projects and apply for those programming jobs.

If you are at uni, contribute on open source projects, develop your own projects and you have a portfolio of work to show to an employer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSci89)
    Bumped for inspiration.

Also here is a guy who failed his degree and four years later he is on £77k http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3101351

I've looked at many programming jobs and 80% of these jobs do not require a degree, learn a popular language such as C#, Java, C++, create your own projects, contribute on open source projects and apply for those programming jobs.

If you are at uni, contribute on open source projects, develop your own projects and you have a portfolio of work to show to an employer.
    Thanks man Great advice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    These days its more about what experience you have other than what subject you have done in your degree, what grade you achieved and where you achieved it from.
    Other than studying a degree, you also need to show to potential employers that you can use your initiative about what you can do or have done outside of that and how you are different from the other graduates.

I also despise the ordinary snobbery of people saying they 'don't' (or is it won't?) need (to get) a job at the moment. But what they don't realise is this it will bite them right back when it comes to looking for work later on in life, because...yes the most common phrase - lack of work experience!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but i definitely believe thats down to the institution you were educated at and how difficult the course is. For example I got a 2:2 in Physics and Astrophysics at Lancaster University and worked my socks off for it. I knew by middle of my 2nd year that I was fighting a losing battle as I couldn't keep up with the high intensity level demanded of a physics student. Hindsight is always clearer but having made the choice based on my high A-level grades back at the age of 17 I believed that Physics was the correct path for me to follow. All of my course mates at Lancaster agreed that we were pushed very hard from the beginning. A lot of us left with 2:2 grades (a much higher percentage than in other courses) and if I'm completely honest, I am incredibly proud of what I managed to achieve personally. Its the way people have begun using a metric of measurement that doesnt apply to all degrees. How can anyone possible argue that all degrees can be measured up on the same scale? How can you compare one 2:1 to another? Its a shame that it has come to a point where the degree subject choice and institution comes 2nd to the degree class regardless of anything that the course actually contained. I know that my degree was incredibly hard as I got my grades at A level with standard effort and only stepped up that intensity while at University. I am incredibly disappointed with how people have reacted to this post. Our university system is less than ideal and can certainly leave people with talent behind simply based on one mark. That mark without context means nothing, absolutely nothing.To all those struggling to find work or an opportunity, I wish you all the best, it will work out in the end!

ReputationRep:
    You clearly feel too proud to work in the call centre, which you should not. You aren't above getting experience, particularly in transferable skills such as communication, and your failure to get a job thus far should reinforce this.

Take the experience and stop being arrogant, something will come along but you need experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBasedChris)
    You clearly feel too proud to work in the call centre, which you should not. You aren't above getting experience, particularly in transferable skills such as communication, and your failure to get a job thus far should reinforce this.

Take the experience and stop being arrogant, something will come along but you need experience.
    :facepalm: I had to read your post at least 3 times because I thought you meant working in a call centre will not get you communication skills - which makes no sense at all! :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.