Sidney Sussex College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Waves_1995)
Cheers, also whats the probability of getting a more 'classic cambridge' room at sidney? how many rooms is there in cloister altogether and is there anywhere else that has older rooms?
In 3rd year there's a pretty good chance you'll get one if you want one. There's a wide variety of rooms so it's quite hard to talk generally, but you should get a good choice.
TardisGirl04
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey everyone! Congratulations for getting offers! I'm coming to Sidney to do Spanish and French (providing I get that wretched A* :eek:) I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything from the college since getting the offer letters? I think some colleges do a kind of post-offer open day and was wondering if Sidney has one too? Also, for any current students, if you are a cheap skate like me and choose the very cheapest band of accommodation, do you have to live off the college site in the 1st year, or is it all really close together? Thank you!!
qgujxj39
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TardisGirl04)
Also, for any current students, if you are a cheap skate like me and choose the very cheapest band of accommodation, do you have to live off the college site in the 1st year, or is it all really close together? Thank you!!
(Assuming nothing's changed recently) First-year accommodation is randomly allocated, and it's all either on the main college site, or on a site two minutes' walk from the college's back gate.
peterbirch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TardisGirl04)
Hey everyone! Congratulations for getting offers! I'm coming to Sidney to do Spanish and French (providing I get that wretched A* :eek:) I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything from the college since getting the offer letters? I think some colleges do a kind of post-offer open day and was wondering if Sidney has one too? Also, for any current students, if you are a cheap skate like me and choose the very cheapest band of accommodation, do you have to live off the college site in the 1st year, or is it all really close together? Thank you!!
It was still random allocation for me - no choice on how much it costs however the price doesn't vary much. Pretty much all first years get C/D band accommodation, around £95 or less a week. I didn't get invited to a post-offer open day and I haven't heard of anyone else being invited, so I don't think one exists.

In terms of contact, if you have already have received your offer the next point of contact will be on/after results day in August - at which point you are likely to receive a bundle of prep work and other college related documents. In some rare cases you may receive work before your offer, my friend who is studying French & Arabic received work in July, but that was because he had never studied Arabic before.

Goodluck!
bobby1994
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Applied to study law at Cambridge and if i get the grades (touchwood) i will be studying there starting 2013 at Sidney Sussex College.

I am just wondering how the allocation of accommodation works? and when you find out where you will be staying?
Dia23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hellohello. I'm unconditional for AMES but haven't firmed the offer via UCAS yet, I'm assuming its after this when I get to sort out accommodation etc? I've received some work already but nothing else
username1148971
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi all,

I'm going to Sidney Sussex for the open day on Thursday. I'm heading up tomorrow to stay the night before. Is anyone else going to be around/ or has been before and knows what to expect?

Cheers
Mezzameg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bobby1994)
Applied to study law at Cambridge and if i get the grades (touchwood) i will be studying there starting 2013 at Sidney Sussex College.

I am just wondering how the allocation of accommodation works? and when you find out where you will be staying?

You'll be sent a big envelope of details the day results come out in August which will include your room number, there are 3 first year accommodation blocks (so you will be placed with first years). The blocks are all broadly similar facility and price wise but you do not get to pick your room in first year, it's randomly allocated. In second and third year you can pick and start looking for standard rooms or better off-site kitchens (2 mins walk away), really old rooms, en suite, rooms with a living room etc
username1108665
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
am i the only american with an offer at sidney?
ruby_maria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lesmis)
am i the only american with an offer at sidney?
Looks like it. What are you studying?
username1108665
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ruby_maria)
Looks like it. What are you studying?
I have a conditional offer for HSPS. I'll know if I got the scores I need in about a month.
ruby_maria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have a conditional offer for HSPS. I'll know if I got the scores I need in about a month.
Me too! I'm Ruby Yeah the grades are pretty terrifying.
Did you do A levels in America then?
username1108665
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ruby_maria)
Me too! I'm Ruby Yeah the grades are pretty terrifying.
Did you do A levels in America then?
Definitely not. APs, my school does not even offer IB classes or exams.
Wessex Boy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hihi everyone,

Just joined TSR, got my offer to read History at Sidney starting this October. Who else is starting in 2013?
Ella Grodz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Lesmis, I'm going to apply for HSPS this year, hopefully to specialize in Biological anthropology, but I'm really worried about them asking me about Politics/International relations at interview. How much do they ask about what you want to study and how much about the other topics? Also congrats for getting an offer!!
username1108665
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ella Grodz)
Hi Lesmis, I'm going to apply for HSPS this year, hopefully to specialize in Biological anthropology, but I'm really worried about them asking me about Politics/International relations at interview. How much do they ask about what you want to study and how much about the other topics? Also congrats for getting an offer!!
Thanks! For me, I noticed that they based their questions off of the work I sent in; for instance, my papers were about the development of money in world history and why Catherine the Great was a Machiavellian leader. They used those as a starting point and branched off from there. Each person at your interview has a different specialty (politics, archaeology, and anthropology/sociology for me), so each person asks you questions related to the field. As some other people have said, it's more about thinking on your feet and seeing how you respond in that type of learning environment.
sotan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is there fresher's week at sidney sussex?
qgujxj39
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sotan)
Is there fresher's week at sidney sussex?
"Freshers' week" in Cambridge is more like "fresher's five days" - most people arrive on Saturday and start lectures on Thursday.

If previous years are anything to go by, a committee of particularly on-the-ball second-years will have organised plenty of stuff both in and out of college.
The Shanus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Time for the new bout of Sidney Sussex applicants to start streaming in? Perhaps trickling would be more appropriate, according to the stalking page, there are only 3 of us who have applied to SS, and 2 more considering it x) And we're all applying for Maths or Math w/ Physics. A week till SAQ deadline and we find out about interviews and whatnot!

How's everyone feeling about it? My UMS scores aren't great, so I've got to keep my fingers crossed and hope the interview goes well, and then really work for STEP!
kenjina
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys, I've applied for the Mathematics (G100) course and Sidney Sussex college have received my application, after applying for an open application in terms of the college.

I got AABC at AS, 4A*s, 4As and 2Bs at GCSE and I'm predicted A*A*A at the end of my A2. I think generally I've got lower grades than the average Cambridge student, but do you guys have any insight as to how I would compare with the rest?

Also, roughly when do cambridge colleges get back to you about your application? I'm just getting really nervous everytime I open up my e-mail.

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads