St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selgomez11)
    Hey, from your reading list which books do you think was not too complicated to read? Thanks

EDIT: Oops I didn't fully read your post that you haven't finished a single book
    Haha, its fine, I'm a good way through a few of them. I'd say steer clear of the Oncogenomics book cos its very academic ( i skipped the chapter on microarrays). Also, I wouldn't really recommend reading the Emperor of All Maladies unless you had some prior interest in oncology. But apart from that I think they're all pretty readable. I'd say 'when breath becomes air' and 'do no harm' are probably the easiest to read IMHO. But again they're all quite readable apart from the Oncogenomics one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Literally me hahaha ooh okay yeah, I am dropping psychology as its not heavily academic and learning the case studies is just too much effort! Ooo I have read the medical ethics one too forgot about that! Yeah it was cliche haha. You sound so sciency I wrote a bit in my personal statement and about a course on cancer immunotherapy I did and checkpoint blockage therapies (how cancerous immune response mechanisms can be prevented by preventing certain checkpoints being passed in the cell cycle allowing our immune system to recognise them, really cool) so should probably read some book about that aha.

Oh I was in the same situation (except I assumed nobody would be applying didn't ask) so I dragged my parents and then saw some friends on the day and was like haha see if your parents would go along

When I went I LOVED St. John's by far my favourite, though I noticed they have three interviews and not many places so I thought maybe not it's a shame. I also loved trinity but then I read on their website they are really UMS heavy when selecting people to interview whereas others are not as much do probably not. I really like Kings (really nice architecture, friendly but traditional and Alan Turing went there lol) and Emmanuel (again, all about that aesthetic I'm so vain ) bit yeah go check out the websites
    Immunotherapy does sound interesting and it's really prevalent atm, its acc one topic in ocncology that I didn't get to touch upon in my EPQ, but I think there's a section on it in the Oncogenomics book. Its so hard for me to choose medical schools let alone colleges at Cambridge but hopefully I'll be able to go up this month cos I don't wanna apply without seeing my prospective college first. But I'm going to loads of open days in the next few weeks and I've got this big piano thingy coming up so we'll have to see how it goes. Do you know what your 5th option will be?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lovelyqueen)
    Thank you for your advice and as ours is a linear course the uni don' look at our AS grades so this not true then. If I got a reference then they would defenitely have my focus on the D grade wouldn't they?
    As the course is linear they will not be issued with official AS grades, but a lot of med schools ask for mock grades to be provided in the reference as a guide to academic performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moodicrus)
    Immunotherapy does sound interesting and it's really prevalent atm, its acc one topic in ocncology that I didn't get to touch upon in my EPQ, but I think there's a section on it in the Oncogenomics book. Its so hard for me to choose medical schools let alone colleges at Cambridge but hopefully I'll be able to go up this month cos I don't wanna apply without seeing my prospective college first. But I'm going to loads of open days in the next few weeks and I've got this big piano thingy coming up so we'll have to see how it goes. Do you know what your 5th option will be?
    In regretting not doing an EPQ but then I would have literally done 6 AS levels so maybe not hahaha. Yeah I get that, although I won't get a chance to go to Nottingham open day but still want to apply. Though I hear it's really nice so I'm not too worried about it I'm going to Birmingham and Bristol next week but that's my last two I think I have no idea, I was thinking of just not applying for one and then if I don't get in, taking a gap year just doing loads more work experience and reading and stuff and trying again, and if I don't get in the second time just giving up then but I have no idea what else I would want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muz360)
    Honestly, I don't think your friends chances are good. The higher B and the below average UKCAT will both disadvantage them. I'd be surprised if they were interviewed unfortunately.

Has your friend participated in the reach project or anything similar? Some unis offer an advantage to reach pupils - for example, Aberdeen interview any reach pupil with a UKCAT in the top 80% of their applicants pool.

Your friend may have more luck at an English uni. A BMAT or UKCAT-light uni could be successful, particularly with the AAA at advanced higher. Another option would be taking a gap year, and nailing the UKCAT next time round. Did your friend apply unsuccessfully last year?

Sorry to not give you a positive answer. Hopefully I've been at least a little bit helpful. Good luck to both you and your friend!
    Hey,

Would I have a chance for Scottish universities or any tbh?

National 5: AAAAAAAA
    Highers: AAAAA
    Predicted grades might be: AAB
    UKCAT: (not sat but estimates are: SJT Band 2

Average 650)

Work experience = LOADS. Extra's = quite a lot. Volunteering = a fair bit

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    Latin
    Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .....Jeff458)
    Hey,

Would I have a chance for Scottish universities or any tbh?

National 5: AAAAAAAA
    Highers: AAAAA
    Predicted grades might be: AAB
    UKCAT: (not sat but estimates are: SJT Band 2

Average 650)

Work experience = LOADS. Extra's = quite a lot. Volunteering = a fair bit
    Hiya!

You have perfect grades, but it's impossible to say until you sit your UKCAT. With those grades, you can be pretty confident of getting interviews from everywhere with a UKCAT of around 670. You may be fine with under that. I'm just speculating, can't be sure until deciles are released.

Sounds like your extracurriculars are grand, so it's all down to UKCAT. It is quite hard to predict unfortunately, as the mocks are never truly representative, but hopefully you'll smash it!

When's your UKCAT and where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zari7861)
    Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Maths
    Latin
    Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    5 is too much, but I'd recommend sticking to 5 for now, when you start college and you see what each of the subjects are like, drop either latin, spanish or maths. Also, you don't need Maths for medicine with the exception of Cambridge but I assume since you're interested in finance, you'll want to keep maths. And only your college can answer your question about frees.

Just pick the language you like the most, although IMO, Latin is the least useful since its a dead language. It's really upto you about FM, in the past, FM wasn't allowed as a 4th AS subject but with the new reforms, all you need is Biology and Chemistry to A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    5 is too much, but I'd recommend sticking to 5 for now, when you start college and you see what each of the subjects are like, drop either latin, spanish or maths. Also, you don't need Maths for medicine with the exception of Cambridge but I assume since you're interested in finance, you'll want to keep maths. And only your college can answer your question about frees.

Just pick the language you like the most, although IMO, Latin is the least useful since its a dead language. It's really upto you about FM, in the past, FM wasn't allowed as a 4th AS subject but with the new reforms, all you need is Biology and Chemistry to A2.
    Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A lot of you worrying about UKCATs have managed to get amazing scores! Last year to be in the top decile you had to receive an average of at least 713, I think (there about). Rosser1994, your score of 743 is extremely good comparatively! Even if the average score is increased this year, it's still amazing!
    Speaking from experience, the UKCAT score on the student room is not an accurate representation of most applicants. Last year I sat and received an average of 690, which I initially thought to be quite weak. However, as a successful applicant I would say not to get caught up in what everyone else posts. I'm currently going to start my first year at Glasgow (a UKCAT "heavy" school)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying to Manchester? How're you guys finding the Non-Academic Information Form?

ReputationRep:
    In regretting not doing an EPQ but then I would have literally done 6 AS levels so maybe not hahaha. Yeah I get that, although I won't get a chance to go to Nottingham open day but still want to apply. Though I hear it's really nice so I'm not too worried about it I'm going to Birmingham and Bristol next week but that's my last two I think I have no idea, I was thinking of just not applying for one and then if I don't get in, taking a gap year just doing loads more work experience and reading and stuff and trying again, and if I don't get in the second time just giving up then but I have no idea what else I would want to do
    Yeah 6 sounds like it would be pretty painful. Yeah, probably the same with me, I'll put down a 5th option but I don't think I'd take it, probably get more experience Medicin Sans Frontiere or something similar. How's oyur PS coming along?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Latin is the least useful since its a dead language. .
    For medicine Latin isn't that useless - most medical terminology derives from Latin and Greek as until the 18th Century the language of science was Latin.

Either way, one language would be useful for several reasons: life; the fact that universities like to see that you are able to communicate (rather than just learn as with sciences and maths); if you want to study and/or practise abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah 6 sounds like it would be pretty painful. Yeah, probably the same with me, I'll put down a 5th option but I don't think I'd take it, probably get more experience Medicin Sans Frontiere or something similar. How's oyur PS coming along?
    Oh what's that? I havnt heard of it! I was just thinking of doing work experience with my uncle in Brazil (he owns a plastic surgery clinic thing) for half of it and spending other half doing something in the UK idk what. It's going alright, on third draft, 2 lines over but under the character limit hmmm. Wbu

ReputationRep:
    Oh what's that? I havnt heard of it! I was just thinking of doing work experience with my uncle in Brazil (he owns a plastic surgery clinic thing) for half of it and spending other half doing something in the UK idk what. It's going alright, on third draft, 2 lines over but under the character limit hmmm. Wbu
    Its an NGO that basically helps in countries with endemic disease, conflict zones etc. And I've just finished cutting down my personal statment cos mine was waay to long, I didnt even know there was a line limit! XD luckily mines 47 lines and 3999 characters But I've probably still got a bit of editing to before its finished. When are you gonna start BMAT revision?

ReputationRep:
    Its an NGO that basically helps in countries with endemic disease, conflict zones etc. And I've just finished cutting down my personal statment cos mine was waay to long, I didnt even know there was a line limit! XD luckily mines 47 lines and 3999 characters But I've probably still got a bit of editing to before its finished. When are you gonna start BMAT revision?
    Oh cool! Will look further into it luckyyyyy. I think next weekend () as really want to do well to make up for my mediocre UMS, but it just feels like I am endlessly revising at the moment. Urg, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool! Will look further into it luckyyyyy. I think next weekend () as really want to do well to make up for my mediocre UMS, but it just feels like I am endlessly revising at the moment. Urg, wbu?
    :gasp: Your UMS is definitely not mediocre! but I get that you wanna strengthen your application. I spoke to an admissions tutor at Cambridge and she said that, for medicine, they're gonna use the BMAT with a threshold so anything below a certain score is automatically eliminated. And I completely know how you feel!! I feel the exact same way :sigh: maybe I'll feel more in the mood when I go back to school but atm I'm really not feeling BMAT revision :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    :gasp: Your UMS is definitely not mediocre! but I get that you wanna strengthen your application. I spoke to an admissions tutor at Cambridge and she said that, for medicine, they're gonna use the BMAT with a threshold so anything below a certain score is automatically eliminated. And I completely know how you feel!! I feel the exact same way :sigh: maybe I'll feel more in the mood when I go back to school but atm I'm really not feeling BMAT revision :yawn:
    Haha thanks, and yeah. Oh great, more pressure then . It's so annoying as its been like AS, UKCAT,BMAT, then Interview (hopefully tho I can't really revise) then mocks then A2 like it never ends I'm never feeling revision but just got to get on with it I guess

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm going through my UCAS application this month and I really want to make sure that I stand a chance for an interview .I didn't do as well as expected in my UKCAT exam and I don't have the greatest grades. I got a total of 1850/2700 which gives an average of 617 on my UKCAT and for IGCSE i have 1 A* 4 A and 3 B. I also have so far a Greek A level grade A and an AS maths A*. My predictions lie somewhere between Maths A* Biology A* Chemistry A and Physics B.I have a lot of volunteering work with people and children with disabilities, generally nurseries, deaf people and I have also shadowed doctors and helped in the ER for a month. I also had an internship at a hospital abroad in which I observed surgeries for a month. :/ I've also lived with my grandparents for about 9 years which I took care of them since they had many health problems. In addition, no one from my family has studied at a university or higher degree of education.

I really want to study medicine because it's fascinating to me and I love caring for people but I don't think my grades can take me there.
    Do I even stand a chance

ReputationRep:
    I apologise if this has already been answered before but do universities tend to look at the breakdown of the scores (i.e each section VR, QR, AR and SJT) or do they look at the overall average to make a decision? Many thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.