The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moleyeyes
Think (hope!) you are supposed to compare NPP levels each time ...i.e. NPP of one level divided by NPP of previous level multiplied by 100 = 8.75% ..... *fingers crossed*

eh that paper was okay until people told em that the structure Q was rER not Golgi so i lost 4 marks due to the fact my 1 mark was wrong. Which is annoying considering i know the role of the rER. i got 8.75% i also got 1.23 for the maximum change. i estimated the GPP to be 3600 for that range question. I probably got 0 out of 4 in the fluid mosaic question and also 0 out of 4 in the one about why peat bogs are preserved. So i'm looking at around 58-64 raw marks and i think it was be 61 for an A 65 for A*
Original post by tashaemjacobs
furious with that exam. It was completely unfair for people who aren't resitting unit 2. They're just trying to catch you out. Like you had to read both graphs backwards... Supposed to be getting an A* in this. The grade boundaries better be low. My Head of Science and bio teacher is complaining. Something's going on at Edexcel's head office...

You didn't have to read the first graph backwards, did you?
The question said to describe changes between depths of 12.5m and 13.5m (and that means you had to read the graph from left to right, along the x-axis)?
Original post by bestustar135
https://www.change.org/p/edexcel-lower-grade-boundaries-for-edexcel-unit-4-a2-biology-paper?recruiter=23814322&utm_campaign=signature_receipt_twitter_dialog&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

If you thought this paper was unfair then please take a moment to sign this, it's so important!! Please share it with your biology classmates so we can increase awareness!!

Can't lower what hasn't been decided.
I can't work it out but if I had two A's in my AS level exams and then a C in this one... what would I need in unit 5 to be able to come out overall with a B? can anyone help? Sorry to sound dim and desperate but I'm genuinely sat here thinking after this exam now I won't get into uni. I need a B in Biol they wont accept a C as its a healthcare course :frown:
So was it 8.75% or 3%?
Original post by moonandstars
I can't work it out but if I had two A's in my AS level exams and then a C in this one... what would I need in unit 5 to be able to come out overall with a B? can anyone help? Sorry to sound dim and desperate but I'm genuinely sat here thinking after this exam now I won't get into uni. I need a B in Biol they wont accept a C as its a healthcare course :frown:

depends what your UMS is, but if you had A's for AS you'll have at the very least 240 UMS.
+ a C in this one (minimum of 72 UMS) = 312

you'll need 420 overall for the whole A level to get a B.

so between your coursework (i don't know what you're estimated to get for that) and your unit five exam you'd need 108 UMS.

I don't know what you're predicted to get but I think this could be managed with a B in both your coursework and the unit five exam. or even a C in the courseork a B in unit 5 i think. or an A in the coursework and a C in the unit 5 exam

/although it's late and i've had like four and a half hours of exams today and my brain is a little dead so it'd be worth double checking everything/
Has everyone seen the petition that has started off on Change.org? 1000+ supporters already, it was basically a copy and paste of 2014 Jan IAL paper... Is that even honestly legal for Edexcel to do that? (Actually being serious)
Reply 807
Original post by LyreBirds
depends what your UMS is, but if you had A's for AS you'll have at the very least 240 UMS.

so between your coursework (i don't know what you're estimated to get for that) and your unit five exam you'd need 108 UMS.

I don't know what you're predicted to get but I think this could be managed with a B in both your coursework and the unit five exam. or even a C in the courseork a B in unit 5 i think. or an A in the coursework and a C in the unit 5 exam

/although it's late and i've had like four and a half hours of exams today and my brain is a little dead so it'd be worth double checking everything/

u mean 420 to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LyreBirds

Thank you so much for doing that for me!! That makes me feel a lot better. Just praying for low grade boundaries for this one it was so hard for me! But I can't see it being above a C. We shall see maybe we will all be surprised!
Original post by cnow55
Yeah it was impossible to tell between SER and RER using only the image. I wrote ER on it's own :/

Image was very poor quality but I thought it was just my eyesight!! I put ER initially and then added rough when I worked out what they needed for the next question (protein synthesis which takes place on rER) - worked on a process of elimination rather than any clear pointers!!
Original post by LewisEdwards1234
I got 13.75% as I thought it said available from 2nd trophic level to the 4th so surely you'd do GPP-R for the second trophic level and the same for the third trophic level then work the percentage from those values

Same. It seems like you and me are the only ones lol.
Original post by Konanabanana
eh that paper was okay until people told em that the structure Q was rER not Golgi so i lost 4 marks due to the fact my 1 mark was wrong. Which is annoying considering i know the role of the rER. i got 8.75% i also got 1.23 for the maximum change. i estimated the GPP to be 3600 for that range question. I probably got 0 out of 4 in the fluid mosaic question and also 0 out of 4 in the one about why peat bogs are preserved. So i'm looking at around 58-64 raw marks and i think it was be 61 for an A 65 for A*

You may pick up some marks for Golgi, as long as you talked about its role in protein synthesis. I hedged my bets and talked about roles of rER AND Golgi, just in case I had put the wrong answer for the labelling question!! As the image was so unclear, marking scheme may allow descriptions of both :smile:
Ive studied so hard since September for these exams and I feel as if I've been slapped in the face, what they have done is costed me my future plans.
same
Original post by tayloryeah
Ive studied so hard since September for these exams and I feel as if I've been slapped in the face, what they have done is costed me my future plans.
Original post by LewisEdwards1234

Plasmacell.gif
Original post by Konanabanana

I think it was 64 for an A* last year. I think it might be lower than that as this years exam was way more harder.
Faaaack that paper
Anyone who thought that paper 'wasn't that bad' probably did jan 2014 IAL or retook unit 2 or both. No one can tell me that paper wasn't hard.
Will they lower the actual pass mark if everyone has found the paper difficult or is the pass always 45 raw marks? I am genuinely worrying I won't have got 50%! :-/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending