Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t0310)
    What did people put for the test between the haloalkane and the acyl chloride?
    I put silver nitrate in aqueous solution. Forming white ppt for the halo alkane and nothing for the acyl one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    what did people say for the reactant and conditions of the first part of Q8 to form the alcohol and salt and how to obtain the salt?
    i put conc NaOH then put reflux (literally made this up because had no clue)
    then i put chromatography, idk why this question stumped me so much
    I said NaOH and heat under reflux and then had no clue so said to distil the alcohol off which is so wrong

ReputationRep:
    Hmm any tips on how to prepare for mcdonalds interview and any resources? Thanks in advance

p.s. asking for a friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engineerrookie)
    Rate equation no longer has propanone in it because it's concentration is now so large it is considered a constant,

I got the last question wrong do you think i will get any marks I got

CH3 O CH2CH2C(CH3)2OH yes it's a tertiary alcohol
    hey why are u worrying atleast u got the alcohol part right i misread the question and lost all nine marks

ReputationRep:
    acid base reaction with ethanoic acid and nitric acid?

i got tertiary, crossed it out, then did whatever heh, hopefully i get working out marks.
    And **** my life i wrote NH3 ine xcess, completely forgot cyanide was added prior to it... **** **** ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the1pedro)
    For the conversion of the haloalkane to the nitrile I put KCN dissolved in ethanol.
    And for the conversion of the nitrile to the amine I put ammonia in excess.
    Thinks this was the last part of that question 😁
    You got the 1st half right but the 2nd half wrong, you already have the N from the -CN so the second half should be H2 with a Nickel/Pt catalyst, I wrote ammonia too to begin with but changed it as the woman said pencils down haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t0310)
    I put methanol because when you add alcohol to an acyl chloride you get an ester so a fruity smell? Idk if thats a good enough observation though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    I put silver nitrate in aqueous solution. Forming white ppt for the halo alkane and nothing for the acyl one.
    Yep White Ppt of Agcl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeysimps11)
    Same mate, 99% sure its correct
    How can it be a tertiary alcohol like that? I thought because it goes green when oxidised it has to be primary? I'm really confused now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t0310)
    I put H2O.
    haloalkane - no change
    Acyl chloride - misty fumes
    ???? not sure though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    i thought that the acyl forms the white ppt, not the haloalkane

ReputationRep:
    how many marks do you reckon people would get for getting R as a the tertiary alcohol ch3och2ch2c(ch3)2oh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebaysass)
    I said NaOH and heat under reflux and then had no close so said to distil the alcohol off which is so wrong
    Distill is probably correct. Because you hadd a mixture of alcohol and a salt. So distiollation makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yung7up)
    Hmm any tips on how to prepare for mcdonalds interview and any resources? Thanks in advance
    lololoolololol when u find some do u mind sharing them

ReputationRep:
    bezene carcinogenic salt the benzene cant leave or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t0310)
    I thought maybe a simple tollens test would suffice but wasnt sure because of the Cl. So i did H2O to turn the acy chloride into an alcohol then use K2Cr2O7 turns orange to green

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedNebula)
    How can it be a tertiary alcohol like that? I thought because it goes green when oxidised it has to be primary? I'm really confused now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i was wrong loooool

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone out for Ka for a strong acid, i put it fully dissociates so a not needed, didn't know what to put for second mark??

ReputationRep:
    Can someone make an unofficial mark scheme??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeabeki)
    I put: D 1st, E 2nd
    I agree

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 27, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.