Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

JLegion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by target21859)
Wow I didn't realise the first part of the statics question was worth 8 marks 0_0. How do they mark questions with i and ii? Do they combine the marks from both parts ie if I resolved forces (horizontally and vertically) in ii but you get given the mark in i. How many marks out of 8 would I get for the following? I took moments about B and got an expression for R in terms of d,g, theta and F. I then resolved upwards and got an expression for F by cancelling P. I had Psintheta=something and Pcostheta=something so divided to cancel P. I then found a fully correct expression for F in terms of d,g and theta but then I forgot to sub F back into R so I would then have R only in terms of d,g and theta. I checked at home if I were to sub in F and I would have gotten the correct expression. I realise now that taking moments at A would have been easier but will they give marks for my method (taking moments at B)? I had 3 correct equations with which I could cancel things to get P and R in terms of d,g and theta.
If a question is listed as i) and ii) it tends to mean both answers can be calculated in one string of working and in either order, often requiring simultaneous equations where either result can be calculated first and is very likely to be required to find the other.

I can't remember the question that well unfortunately to answer your other questions.
Major-fury
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by oShahpo)
How the hell did you get hold of the paper?
I expect to get 72, hopefully an A* with some margin to accommodate for any mistakes in other modules.
how many marks do you think i'll lose since i screwed up the first question where we had to find the distance i think i integrated with limits 3 and 0 and for another question i think only 2 marks i found the wrong angle but i stated the other angle as well.
oShahpo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Major-fury)
how many marks do you think i'll lose since i screwed up the first question where we had to find the distance i think i integrated with limits 3 and 0 and for another question i think only 2 marks i found the wrong angle but i stated the other angle as well.
Max 3.
Major-fury
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Max 3.
so i think i got maybe like 60-65 marks for d1, about 73 for m1 , 75 for fp3, 72 for m2, 91 ums fp1, 70ish for fp2 i think. would this be an a*
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mark Scheme...
Attached files
ninjass
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Major-fury)
so i think i got maybe like 60-65 marks for d1, about 73 for m1 , 75 for fp3, 72 for m2, 91 ums fp1, 70ish for fp2 i think. would this be an a*
Most certainly
ninjass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can someone provide me some insight to what UMS i may have

c3 - 73/75
c4 - 74/75
m2 - 64/75
fp2 - 67/75
fp3 - 75/75
s3 - 70/75
Maetras
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What happens if the method I used isn't on there?
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ninjass)
Can someone provide me some insight to what UMS i may have

c3 - 73/75
c4 - 74/75
m2 - 64/75
fp2 - 67/75
fp3 - 75/75
s3 - 70/75
Yup. That someone is the Edexcel examiner once Edexcel is done marking all the papers.
ninjass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What happens if the method I used isn't on there?
If its sensible its fine
ninjass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yup. That someone is the Edexcel examiner once Edexcel is done marking all the papers.
I just wanted an approximate guess lol
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ninjass)
I just wanted an approximate guess lol
Well its certainly an A* in maths, and very likely an A* in Further Maths too. That's all I can guess.
ninjass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well its certainly an A* in maths, and very likely an A* in Further Maths too. That's all I can guess.
Oh ok - i can live with that considering i have 98 in s2 already (further maths)
Hope my predictions dont differ too much from the real thing...
Maetras
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For 5a I did M(B) correctly and then resolved horizontally and vertically correctly. I found the correct expression for F but I found R with an F term in it. If I sub F into it it turns out correct but I forgot to do that in the exam. On the mark scheme it has 2 methods but my method isn't on there. I didn't resolve in parallel to the rod like it says in 5a alt where they do moments about B. I did eliminate P from the equations. Surely I can't lose 5 marks because of this. How many marks do you think I would lose? I'm worried cos I didn't do as well as I had hoped on FP2.
CALI1198
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For 5a I did M(B) correctly and then resolved horizontally and vertically correctly. I found the correct expression for F but I found R with an F term in it. If I sub F into it it turns out correct but I forgot to do that in the exam. On the mark scheme it has 2 methods but my method isn't on there. I didn't resolve in parallel to the rod like it says in 5a alt where they do moments about B. I did eliminate P from the equations. Surely I can't lose 5 marks because of this. How many marks do you think I would lose? I'm worried cos I didn't do as well as I had hoped on FP2.
If it was a matter of substituting something then at max you'd lose 2 imo. And even if your method isn't there, so long as its clear what you've done (and correct, no made up maths etc), then you'll be awarded

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Maetras
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CALI1198)
If it was a matter of substituting something then at max you'd lose 2 imo. And even if your method isn't there, so long as its clear what you've done (and correct, no made up maths etc), then you'll be awarded

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Ah that's good to hear.
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:parrot:
oinkk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
49/100 UMS. Turns out I genuinely didn't have a clue what I was doing in this exam 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.57%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.62%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.43%

Watched Threads