Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geraer100)
    Hi, guys, I just want to ask about one thing,
    Regarding to implications mentioned in the syllabus, are they referring that we have to use implications in the working out of all questions, so for example, x^2-4=0 iff (x-2)(x+2)=0 or do they just mean that we have to understand if and only if in case some questions ask us to prove something of if and only if?
    The latter.

It's because my working out for example, taking the above example, I will just write (because sometimes I am not sure if it's if or iff):
    x^2-4=0, (x-2)(x+2)=0
    I would not use the arrow and the double arrow to show the if and only if, I will just use a comma. I wonder if I would lose marks like that.
    You won't lose marks.

And exactly, how much working out is expected for a question? Do I have to explain all the steps of the calculation? Because looking at the mark schemes of 2011, they basically explain every step. So is that expected?
    Use reasonable judgement. You don't need to explain every step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The latter.

You won't lose marks.

Use reasonable judgement. You don't need to explain every step.
    Okay, really thanks! I was really afraid that you will say that we have to use implications in all questions!

Okay, so is it more or less the same as a level maths? that we just have to show that the answer didn't come from guessing?

And the arrow (one way) means imply or is it something just like the comma to indicate you go from one expression to another?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, really thanks! I was really afraid that you will say that we have to use implications in all questions!

Okay, so is it more or less the same as a level maths? that we just have to show that the answer didn't come from guessing?

And the arrow (one way) means imply or is it something just like the comma to indicate you go from one expression to another?
    At the back of most A-Level textbooks there is a page on mathematical notation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseMan)
    At the back of most A-Level textbooks there is a page on mathematical notation.
    Okay thanks!

ReputationRep:
    STEP II 2015:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Got 71 (scraped 1). Did 1, 3, 6, 7, 12, 13. Only fulls were 3 and 12.
    Notes:
    Q1: I made an awful mistake in the trying to prove the inequality, by saying that n > ln(1+n), so 1+1+1+...+1 > ln(1+n), so 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 +... + 1/n > ln(1+n). For my next trick: 3 > 2, so -7 > 2 also. I obviously didn't get marks for that, and it also stopped me working out the correct way to do the second part.
    Q 12: Fairly easy question in general, especially easy for anyone who's done 2001 STEP III Q 13 which is almost exactly the same (if anything, a bit easier).
    Q 13: Made a mistake I don't quite understand in the first part. I said C = ky + P(X<=y)0 + P(X>y)a(X-y), turned that into E(C) = E(constants) + moreconstantsE(X) and ended up with the answer but missing a term. Not sure what went on there.

Overall, not a great paper, but still a 1.

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 547963547965

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  422.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  412.5 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseMan)
    Attachment 547963547965
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  422.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  412.5 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Great thanks for that!!! The plus and minus signs are also there Hahahaa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    STEP II 2015:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Notes:
    Q1: I made an awful mistake in the trying to prove the inequality, by saying that n > ln(1+n), so 1+1+1+...+1 > ln(1+n), so 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 +... + 1/n > ln(1+n). For my next trick: 3 > 2, so -7 > 2 also. I obviously didn't get marks for that, and it also stopped me working out the correct way to do the second part.
    Q 12: Fairly easy question in general, especially easy for anyone who's done 2001 STEP III Q 13 which is almost exactly the same (if anything, a bit easier).
    Q 13: Made a mistake I don't quite understand in the first part. I said C = ky + P(X<=y)0 + P(X>y)a(X-y), turned that into E(C) = E(constants) + moreconstantsE(X) and ended up with the answer but missing a term. Not sure what went on there.

Well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    who does chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Number Nine)
    who does chemistry
    Them

http://famouschemists.org/

ReputationRep:
    they dead boy like you soon

ReputationRep:
    they dead boy like you soon
    Yeah, STEP is in 3 days

ReputationRep:
    who does chemistry
    OCR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpaterson)
    OCR?
    yeah OCR do chemistry

/s

im on aqa

ReputationRep:
    Q5, JUNE 2000, STEP I,

Why the coordinate in j of A is dsin(alpha), should not it be dsin(alpha)cos(theta) and the j of B should it be dsin(beta)cos(theta)?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    STEP II 2015:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Notes:

I've done the paper today.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q1 : Proved the first inequality by induction idk why but overall a very straightforward question (full)
    Q4 : Very easy , I also enjoyed it a lot (full)Q1 : Proved the first inequality by induction idk why but overall a very straightforward question (full)Q4 : Very easy , I also enjoyed it a lot (full)Q5: Very easy except of that part where you have to prove that Sn=tan(-1)(n/n+1) I forgot to mention the obvious (that at least one value satisfies it) so I lost 1 mark (did the contradiction thing)Q6: that one was an unexpected disaster : part iii was difficult so I left it after 5' and I thought the second integral was just an antiderivative (10 marks lost , 3 of them for no reason...) Q12: easy but I got part ii wrong so 15/20Q13: That was my worst choice 11/20 just did part i and wrote E(C^2) and that Var(C)= E(C^2)-... so I stole 1 mark or so Overall meh 95/120 (very low S) .I was too confident about stats that was very wrond for that paper anyway

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick check: when showing arcoshx= ln{1+(x^2-1)^1/2} I am able to look at cosh { ln{1+(x^2-1)^1/2}}= x and deduce the result from this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Just a quick check: when showing arcoshx= ln{1+(x^2-1)^1/2} I am able to look at cosh { ln{1+(x^2-1)^1/2}}= x and deduce the result from this?
    I suppose you could, yeah. Jammy git. xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I suppose you could, yeah. Jammy git. xD
    lol u know me, i aint bout dat fiddle

ReputationRep:
    June 2000, step ii, q3,

When a, b and c are small, why (1+(13a-2b+24c)/49)^1/2 is more or less equal to (1+(13a-2b+24c)/98)), with just the denominator doubled?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.