TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veem)
    I've already submitted my FPAS but was wondering if there is absolutely no way to change it before the deadline? Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice
    Nope, no chance to change it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Nope, no chance to change it...
    thanks anyway, better hope sjt goes ok!!*

ReputationRep:
    3 weeks of endo done. Really interesting.

Started renal today, renal physiology i feel like i've been hit by a bus

Whats the best way of tackling OSPES and anatomy in general, just feel like they throw all this information at you in the labs at once. We use prosection here btw. I have bought the essential clinical anatomy textbook and it's not bad but still feel like I am not going to be able to remember all the structures and stuff come OSPE time...

ReputationRep:
    Didn't mean to anon that, that is my post

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Whats the best way of tackling OSPES and anatomy in general, just feel like they throw all this information at you in the labs at once. We use prosection here btw. I have bought the essential clinical anatomy textbook and it's not bad but still feel like I am not going to be able to remember all the structures and stuff come OSPE time...

ReputationRep:
    Great Oriel wont let me finish my AFP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Great Oriel wont let me finish my AFP
    SAME! The website won't even let me view or submit my unfinished and unsubmitted applications..... The website just crashes when I try to log in What should I do?

Anyone else getting this message?

"502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.
    There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by um12)
    SAME! The website won't even let me view or submit my unfinished and unsubmitted applications..... The website just crashes when I try to log in What should I do?

Anyone else getting this message?

"502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.
    There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server."
    have you emailed anyone?

ReputationRep:
    have you emailed anyone?
    Like who? The whole oriel website is down. It gives a 502 server error which means an error at Oriel's end.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by um12)
    Like who? The whole oriel website is down. It gives a 502 server error which means an error at Oriel's end.

Any ideas?
    working. God speed

ReputationRep:
    oh dear.... what did you email exactly?

Oriel and foundation application representatives gave a talk at our university a few weeks ago. In which they said "if the website crashes on the last day, and you can't submit your applications, we don't care. You should have submitted them earlier".

Personally i dont accept this. Why set the deadline Friday if the website is down since Thursday??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by um12)
    oh dear.... what did you email exactly?

Oriel and foundation application representatives gave a talk at our university a few weeks ago. In which they said "if the website crashes on the last day, and you can't submit your applications, we don't care. You should have submitted them earlier".

Personally i dont accept this. Why set the deadline Friday if the website is down since Thursday??

I'm an idiot. massive ocd over my whitespace answers which made me take longer. submitted. actually might throw up now because of the stress

ReputationRep:
    I'm an idiot. massive ocd over my whitespace answers which made me take longer. submitted. actually might throw up now because of the stress
    Well done for submitting it though mate.

I've just submitted mine as well. Also took way too long obsessing over those white space answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yeh staying here, which means effectively I know my location (competition was 0.8 last year wooo!)
    Well it's not the competition ratio that's important so much as the cutoffs. Can be a bit misleading if you look only at the CR. But yeah Northern has pretty low cutoffs too so it's pretty much a shoe-in

Committed to Scotland now. Pretty crazy... and still so worried that I might not get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by um12)
    Well done for submitting it though mate.

I've just submitted mine as well. Also took way too long obsessing over those white space answers.
    Yeah well done lad. Atleast it's over ... for now

ReputationRep:
    Just saw on Twitter that ukfpo application deadline extended...
    Teachnical difficulties or have they not had enough applicants yet?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Ohh, what kind of things are you hoping to do?

Sorry to hear about the getting dumped but whoop well done on London. First marathon?
    Found a management and leadership one down in Brighton. Its the closest to Emergency med and it looks very relaxed as you can create your own project and i like the rotations and love Brighton. So here's hoping I can put my UG degree to some good use.*
    Hows your year going?*

ReputationRep:
    Guys which stethoscope would you advise for clinical years?

And which size for the Oxford Handbook CM/cheese and onion version? There seems to be a very small pocket size and a slightly larger pocket size version

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate4354)

And which size for the Oxford Handbook CM/cheese and onion version? There seems to be a very small pocket size and a slightly larger pocket size version
    The Classic SE is fine (think there's an upgraded version now). No real harm if you want to get the cardiology though (but don't get the master cardio - you need to usually have both bell and diaphragm to go through the motions in OSCEs). Get the OHCM but get the normal size one, the tiny one is a bit ridiculous.

(Original post by kate4354)

(Original post by Beska)
    The Classic SE is fine (think there's an upgraded version now). No real harm if you want to get the cardiology though (but don't get the master cardio - you need to usually have both bell and diaphragm to go through the motions in OSCEs). Get the OHCM but get the normal size one, the tiny one is a bit ridiculous.
    We've been told by older years that consultants on wards rip the **** out of students with fancy stethoscopes like the cardiology ones...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.