The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    What grade is a 2+ and a 6? I have no idea as I did the old spec last year...
    You don't get A*/A/B/C etc. Grades anymore. Its now 1-9. 1 is the lowest. 8 is equivalent to a high A* and 9 is like very high to beyond an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriciaanne)
    You don't get A*/A/B/C etc. Grades anymore. Its now 1-9. 1 is the lowest. 8 is equivalent to a high A* and 9 is like very high to beyond an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok thanks- yeah I knew you didn't get A*/A grades anymore; I just wasn't sure what grade the numbers correspond to. To me it seems very strange!
    So does that mean a 6 is a grade B?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry- I did no work for gcses however I have started my as levels and I am making sure that I am working very hard and not slacking off! And it makes it much more enjoyable! And maths a level is MUCH more interesting than gcse (I didn't even like gcse maths...)

Best of luck for your gcse exams this year and then your a levels!x
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Which subjects will you take?
    I am planning on taking Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and probably some Philosophy/Humanities subject for my fourth subject.

ReputationRep:
    What grade is a 2+ and a 6? I have no idea as I did the old spec last year...
    2 is roughly equivalent to an E (with 1 being roughly equivalent to an F/G), and 6 is roughly equivalent to a B.

ReputationRep:
    Grades 7, 8, 9 are in the A-A* range. 6 is a High B, 5 is a Low B / High C. 4 is a Low C. 3 is a D, 2 is an E and a 1 is an F or G. A 5 is now what is considered a "good" pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Grades 7, 8, 9 are in the A-A* range. 6 is a High B, 5 is a Low B / High C. 4 is a Low C. 3 is a D, 2 is an E and a 1 is an F or G. A 5 is now what is considered a "good" pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    2 is roughly equivalent to an E (with 1 being roughly equivalent to an F/G), and 6 is roughly equivalent to a B.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Maths and Chemistry
    Cool! Maybe when it comes to A-levels, we could help each other or something?

(Original post by _gcx)
    I've never heard of needing a personal statement for applying to a sixth form.
    I didn't think we needed to either but I do, anlong with everyone else who wants to go to the same 6th form as me

(Original post by Simonexoxo)
    I literally have no skills when it comes to Microsoft so I wasn't too sure how hard it would be

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You''l learn it all when you do it- it's relatively easy, and you can use the help button in the exam to help you

ReputationRep:
    I feel like everyone on TSR likes maths and sciences, at A level I want to do history, french, maths and either politics or economics. My dream degree would be PPE but I also want to be a lawyer so....

Also, does anyone know any really good sixth forms in South east London, like Harris Westminister and LAE etc..

ReputationRep:
    I will have to pick my A-Level choices by Christmas (altho we can change them later!)... Does anyone else have no clue what they're going to pick?? Or is it just me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    I will have to pick my A-Level choices by Christmas (altho we can change them later!)... Does anyone else have no clue what they're going to pick?? Or is it just me lol
    I would start with questions along the lines of this:
    • What are you planning on doing in the future career-wise?
    • What are your interests?
    • What do you feel that you could do well in?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=pinkypaz123;67845468]Cool! Maybe when it comes to A-levels, we could help each other or something? :

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I would start with questions along the lines of this:
    • What are you planning on doing in the future career-wise?
    • What are your interests?
    • What do you feel that you could do well in?
    That is what we're doing in school atm. The problem is I do not know what I want to do in the future. Defo go to uni, but I do not know what to study! Probably sometime to do with science or maths, but I don't really know.

I am interested in politics, football (pretty much all sport) and History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    That is what we're doing in school atm. The problem is I do not know what I want to do in the future. Defo go to uni, but I do not know what to study! Probably sometime to do with science or maths, but I don't really know.

I am interested in politics, football (pretty much all sport) and History.
    What I did with my GCSE choices and what I plan to do with A Level is write down all the choices that you can possible take at your sixth form and cross them off, one by one when you know you won't want to take it. Keep that list always with you. The first few would be easy, but then it gets harder. Keep thinking in your mind what the next one should be that you cross off. Sometimes it may take days before you decide which one to cross off. After a while, you'd be left with 3/4/5. I find that method easier than suddenly having to pick 4 A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesco_16)
    I am doing them both this year! I've just started the course in year 11. How was the unit 1 paper??
    I found the unit 1 papers quite easy in all the practice and mocks etc. But I felt the paper we sat for the exam was absolutely dreadful! I still got an a though somehow! We had the whole of year 10 to do unit 1 and we started unit 2 and then we have the whole of this year to do unit 2 so it's quite chilled

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, hope it's not too late to introduce myself!

My GCSEs are:

Spoiler:
    Show

English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA)
    Maths (Edexcel)
    History (Edexcel)
    Biology (AQA)
    Chemistry (AQA)
    Physics (AQA)
    French (Edexcel)
    Philosophy and Ethics (AQA)
    PE (Edexcel)
    Citizenship (AQA)

I'm slightly suspicious of myself in that I'm not yet terrified for the exams. The calm before the storm perhaps?

For A level, I'm thinking of taking French, History, Maths and English Lit. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do at degree level- until a few months ago I didn't even know whether I wanted to do the sciences or humanities! I've narrowed down slightly, and I think I might do something to do with either history or languages or both.

Looking forward to getting involved in the thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys revise poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do you guys revise poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At the moment, I'm just making notes and doing practice of exam questions, which seems to be working quite well.

ReputationRep:
    I find the best way for me to revise poetry is to go through the poems, read your annotations and try to make them as detailed as possible, making sure you understand the methods used, the context of the poem, the effects on the audience etc. If you go through the poem almost line by line doing this, thinking of all possible interpretations of them and how they link to the bigger picture of the poem (to themes like love, conflict power etc.), then you should hopefully have a good understanding of the poem and be able to write about it from any angle the examiner may throw at you. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody here study WJEC Maths? My year group is the first ever to have the new spec; we have a Double Award which means we get GCSEs in Numeracy and Maths. I've also got a brand new spec for WJEC English Language & Literature. I'm just wondering if anybody here is in the same position as I am. I've yet to find someone who's doing the Double Award thing in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2017
Poll
What is stopping you from being in a happy relationship?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.