The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol - I see. That makes more sense.
Reply 801
I was going to suggest he was referring to Chopra yesterday but i wasn't oo sure whether or not he got booed initially.

Anyway, Barnes has also come out and said that the jeering directed at Lampard should stop. I can't believe how pathetic these people are (the fans that booed him that is, not Barnes- he's a legend :wink:)
Clubber Lang
It happens a lot in club football as well mind.

There was a hilarious case of it the start of this season where soem guy kept getting booed but got a massive ovation after he scored and then got cheered - all in the same match - anyone remember? It was like in the first week.

Can't remember the case from the Prem, but it's not exclusive to this country. Gilardino has been hounded by Milan fans, press etc for months. He scores a good brace at the weekend and all seems well...for now
Reply 803
Leavis2
I was going to suggest he was referring to Chopra yesterday but i wasn't oo sure whether or not he got booed initially.

Anyway, Barnes has also come out and said that the jeering directed at Lampard should stop. I can't believe how pathetic these people are (the fans that booed him that is, not Barnes- he's a legend :wink:)
I'm not the kind of person who'd boo, but I can understand why they did. How else are they meant to express their displeasure at the decision? It's not like they have a season ticket that they can tear up in front of McClaren
Reply 804
jamlan
I'm not the kind of person who'd boo, but I can understand why they did. How else are they meant to express their displeasure at the decision? It's not like they have a season ticket that they can tear up in front of McClaren

Firstly, there shouldn't really be displeasure at that decision. Lampard didn't even start the game and came on long after it was secure. Secondly, Lampard has been little worse than Gerrard, Rooney, Robinson or the rest of England's under performers this campaign, so booing him only simply isn't justified. To some extent, he's been used as a scapegoat for England's problems.

I don't think he should be playing either, but to boo him when he comes on is just out of order. It's not the way you show displeasure at a decision. You get behind the team rather than against them. How on earth will booing help? Furthermore, it's these same fickle 'fans' that will be chanting his name if he scores against Russia. All ridiculous really.
Leavis2
it's these same fickle 'fans' that will be chanting his name if he scores against Russia. All ridiculous really.

:ditto:
Reply 806
Leavis2
Firstly, there shouldn't really be displeasure at that decision. Lampard didn't even start the game and came on long after it was secure. Secondly, Lampard has been little worse than Gerrard, Rooney, Robinson or the rest of England's under performers this campaign, so booing him only simply isn't justified. To some extent, he's been used as a scapegoat for England's problems.

I don't think he should be playing either, but to boo him when he comes on is just out of order. It's not the way you show displeasure at a decision. You get behind the team rather than against them. How on earth will booing help? Furthermore, it's these same fickle 'fans' that will be chanting his name if he scores against Russia. All ridiculous really.
Like I said, I wouldn't boo. It can only affect a player's confidence. If you think he's playing badly that's just not going to help, but I'll tell you why I was disappointed with the decision. I don't think he has been only "little worse" than Gerrard or Rooney (I was equally disappointed at Robinson's inclusion). But even if he had been just as good/bad as those two, he doesn't seem to realise it. The decision to put him on 20 mins before the end, for me, can only be an attempt to appease Frank's ego. We've seen how a 4-5-1 with Rooney as the 1 works (it doesn't) so what's the point in that change? Especially when you're 3-0 up at home to Estonia. Stick to 4-4-2 and swap Lampard for Gerrard to see how well a Lampard Barry midfield works in the event that Gerrard is injured or whatever. It's just a total waste of a substitution
Reply 807
jamlan
Like I said, I wouldn't boo. It can only affect a player's confidence. If you think he's playing badly that's just not going to help, but I'll tell you why I was disappointed with the decision. I don't think he has been only "little worse" than Gerrard or Rooney (I was equally disappointed at Robinson's inclusion). But even if he had been just as good/bad as those two, he doesn't seem to realise it. The decision to put him on 20 mins before the end, for me, can only be an attempt to appease Frank's ego. We've seen how a 4-5-1 with Rooney as the 1 works (it doesn't) so what's the point in that change? Especially when you're 3-0 up at home to Estonia. Stick to 4-4-2 and swap Lampard for Gerrard to see how well a Lampard Barry midfield works in the event that Gerrard is injured or whatever. It's just a total waste of a substitution

Michael Owen has to come off as a precaution, and when you're 3-0 up at home to a minnow, ball retention is easily the way to go. Bring on Lampard, play the ball around midfield for the remaining 15-20 minutes, three points in the bag, no further injuries, professional victory complete and let's look forward to the Russia game.

I don't really think bringing Lampard on when the games dead and buried at 3-0 will do anything for his ego, so i think that's a rather fatal assumption you make there tbh.

As for Gerrard, he hasn't been the same for club or country since his toe injury, and has never really been as good for England as he has Liverpool. Only in a few games has he stuck out more, which is sad but true.

I appreciate you wouldn't boo ;yes; It's the aforementioned 'fans' that really annoy me :frown:
The pitch has taken its first victim :mad:

John Terry locked his knee at the end of Englands training session this afternoon; almost certainly out :rolleyes:
Reply 809
lfc4life
Whats up with John Terry and injuries at the moment....one after another. I reckon he's been rushing back everytime then doing himself damage.

They did that with Gerrard, and now look at him :mad:
Reply 810
lfc4life
To be fair to england we also rushed him...giving him an injection to be fit for chelsea isn't exactly ideal.

Rafa played him in the hope that it would then force McClaren to rest him for the first of the Internation double header. Clearly, the plan backfired. However, he is Liverpool FC's player and so you could say we had a right to rush him for the important game against Chelsea and then expect him to be rested for a few days, even if England were calling. Club V Country all over again, though.
Does anyone know where I can find decent radio coverage of the game? Or are they all like on BBC 5Live?

I can't go and watch it due to the fact I've left all me work until the last minute. Again. :s-smilie:
Reply 812
Anyone watching the England game? Looks like one awkward pitch to play on ;yes; What a goal by Wayne Rooney though, thunder strike!

You can tell just how cold it must be by looking at how wrapped Jamie Redknapp is, and he's in the commentary box!
Im absolutely gutted and in disbelief. What a ****ing **** performance all round. Defended like school kids, midfield and attack pretty anonymous the whole match. Created little but they were great chances.

Foul ****ing 5 metres outside the ****ing box. ****ing disgrace.

As for Robinson, well what a ****
Russia 2 - 1 England.

Good one McClaren. Way out of your depth aren't you. Good one England's players. Way out of your depth aren't you. Good one Brian Barwick. Way out of your depth aren't you.

And so on.

England not qualifying = LOL
oh **** me

What a **** performance.

What chances of Israel avoiding a defeat?
Slim.

Half of our team was just anonymous; Owen, Cole, Wright-Phillips, Gerrard - what a sitter he missed :s:
Lol

It was 0-1 when I went for lunch. Caught about 10 minutes of the game and thought Russia would win. All I saw was Portugal all over again, with the likes of Gerrard and co sitting so deep on top of the defence and not being able to put two passes together.
When will they ever learn? We werent playing Brazil, only Russia.

Crap tactics, negative football. Russia deserved it.
ABRP would be very happy,lol

Latest