The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
* Dain Bramaged
hey, jus done my ukcat and got an average of 667.5, i am told this is average. is there any point applying to edinburgh which weight it highly apparently??

edit: i was told there are 4 groups with regards to applying to edinbugh for the ukcat. some get 0 points and some get 3. anyone know how many points i'd get for this??

no you get either 2, 4, 6 or 8 points depending on the quartiles.
Reply 801
Just got back, here are my results:

Verbal: 670
Quantitative: 720
Abstract: 680
Decision: 590 (I don't know what happened there, I thought this part had gone okay)

Average of 665, pretty pleased but annoyed at decision, my average could have been nearer to 700 if I'd have done better in that section.
Does anybody know if this would hinder my chances at any medical school?
Kelly^2
Just got back, here are my results:

Verbal: 670
Quantitative: 720
Abstract: 680
Decision: 590 (I don't know what happened there, I thought this part had gone okay)

Average of 665, pretty pleased but annoyed at decision, my average could have been nearer to 700 if I'd have done better in that section.
Does anybody know if this would hinder my chances at any medical school?

That's a brilliant score, especially your quantiative, you should be fine:smile:
Reply 803
b9muslove
That's a brilliant score, especially your quantiative, you should be fine:smile:

Thank you :smile:
Just sat the thing. Apparently I'm the third candidate that sat it at this center. Took them a while to understand that I registered online.

Had a nice empty room, so I could think out loud. Unfortunately it was badly sound insulated so I had to listen to some lame rave from the next room.

Anyway: Verbal 720, Quantative 760, Abstract 610 :frown: , DA 760.
Reply 805
AnonymousPenguin
Just sat the thing. Apparently I'm the third candidate that sat it at this center. Took them a while to understand that I registered online.

Had a nice empty room, so I could think out loud. Unfortunately it was badly sound insulated so I had to listen to some lame rave from the next room.

Woah, well done!
AnonymousPenguin

Wow wow! Awesome scores anonymouspenguin!! Mine is coming up very soon, was wondering whether you did much by way of preparation??

xxx
Just had mine today, did awful :mad: hate exams and hate UKCAT...

VR 560
QR 660
AR 590
DA 620
Average 608

The paper says the average is around 600 though clearly from seeing the results of most of the people here 608 pretty much pales in comparison.
Otherwise got AAAB in Biology Chemistry Physics and German at AS and I'm considering applying to Imperial, UCL, Leeds and Newcastle.
I know Leeds and Newcastle want the UKCAT, does anyone know what weight they place on it for choosing interviews/final selections?
FizzyOrange
Wow wow! Awesome scores anonymouspenguin!! Mine is coming up very soon, was wondering whether you did much by way of preparation??

xxx

I did the Matt Green UKCAT book and found it to be useful especially for the DA section. Beware though, the book is full of small errors and I wouldn't recommend using it beyond a simple overview. Furthermore, the abstract reasoning section is useless.

I also did the practice test from the UKCAT site. I went through it and recorded my attempt with Camtasia studio. That way I could later check answers in depth and didn't lose any time writing down my answers.

To the poster above: Newcastle uses the UKCAT exclusively to select for interviews. (see their admissions policy on the medical school's website)
Reply 809
WillBurch90

VR 560
QR 660
AR 590
DA 620
Average 608

The paper says the average is around 600 though clearly from seeing the results of most of the people here 608 pretty much pales in comparison.
Otherwise got AAAB in Biology Chemistry Physics and German at AS and I'm considering applying to Imperial, UCL, Leeds and Newcastle.
I know Leeds and Newcastle want the UKCAT, does anyone know what weight they place on it for choosing interviews/final selections?

I wouldn't go comapring yourself to TSR. It's not really a fair representation of the average score. You got over 600, so I'd be well happy with that.

From what I understand, Newcastle and Lees don't place that much weight onto UKCAT, so you'll be fine. Just make sure you get AAA prediction for Newcastle.

Well done anway! I've got mine next week. Proper nervous. :/

EDIT: I lied. Newcastle do use UKCAT for choosing those for interview.

From admissions policy:
UKCAT used to identify those for interview
In relation to the standard 5-year programme (A106) and the 4 year programme (A101), applications fulfilling the academic threshold will then be assessed on their UKCAT scores. The UKCAT cut off score may differ in each admission cycle as our cut off is derived from the scores achieved by those applicants who apply to our Medical School in the current cycle. These scores will be used to determine in which of the following categories an applicant is placed.

- to interview
- unsuccessful
Reply 810
Disappointed. :frown:

Done the UKCAT today, here are my results:

Verbal - 570
Quantitative - 580
Abstract - 570
Decision - 630

HOW did I get 580 on quantitative - higher than two of my other scores - when I only did 11 out of 40 questions, then randomly guessed the rest! :confused:

Anyway, at least I have good AS grades - AAAA, so those and hopefully good grades at A2 should get me through... with luck! :frown:
AnonymousPenguin
I did the Matt Green UKCAT book and found it to be useful especially for the DA section. Beware though, the book is full of small errors and I wouldn't recommend using it beyond a simple overview. Furthermore, the abstract reasoning section is useless.

I also did the practice test from the UKCAT site. I went through it and recorded my attempt with Camtasia studio. That way I could later check answers in depth and didn't lose any time writing down my answers.

To the poster above: Newcastle uses the UKCAT exclusively to select for interviews. (see their admissions policy on the medical school's website)

Thanks for the advice! Congrats again xxx
does anyone who has done the UKCAT know the number of questions in each section and the time limits for each section as i keep getting contradicting info

thanks
Booked mine for the 27th September.

Will send off finalised UCAS application on the 29th September.
clairedelune
does anyone who has done the UKCAT know the number of questions in each section and the time limits for each section as i keep getting contradicting info

thanks

verbal 21min - 44q
quan 21min - 40q
abstract 15-16min(?) - 65q
da 26min(?) - 26q (there's lots of time in this one, I had 5min left)
Reply 815
WillBurch90

VR 560
QR 660
AR 590
DA 620
Average 608

newcastle automatically reject everyone with AAA predictions but after that they rank everyone in order of UKCAT score and the top 1000 get interviewed
WillBurch90

VR 560
QR 660
AR 590
DA 620
Average 608

Damn our scores in each section are pretty much on par lawl! (Though your average is 3 points higher than mine!) Anyway, don't pull yourself down about it. I felt really bad about it even after getting AAAA in my AS results this time last week but it's got to the point where it's done and you can only focus on strengthening every other aspect of your application. All I can say is be wary of where you're going to apply to. For instance, I've decided not to apply to King's and Barts due to the circulation of their cut-off scores. That's as much as I can say. Just don't dwell on it too much like I did.

MattSh
Disappointed. :frown:

Done the UKCAT today, here are my results:

Verbal - 570
Quantitative - 580
Abstract - 570
Decision - 630

HOW did I get 580 on quantitative - higher than two of my other scores - when I only did 11 out of 40 questions, then randomly guessed the rest! :confused:

Anyway, at least I have good AS grades - AAAA, so those and hopefully good grades at A2 should get me through... with luck! :frown:
Your average is slightly lower than mine though we're in the same boat with regards to UKCAT vs. AS results. Same advice as above.
Haha yeah funny that !MEna, I expect we have similar personalities :biggrin:
Calmed down a bit now, I wrote that when I was a bit feeling emotional after seeing how everyone else did but played on my double bass for a bit so I'm cooled down but cheers anyway you've reassured me :smile: .

I might take a gamble on Newcastle or not but I guess its all steam ahead for BMAT at least you can properly revise for that hehe...
Reply 818
Just did some practice on wwww.medicmix.com :w00t:

60% in VR
90% in DA

Does anyone else find they over-analyse in VR and think well you can't tell? Heh. I'm going to have to work on that. :yep:
hey, im having problems getting onto the ukcat practice questions on the medicmix website.

they sent me an email with the username and password, not really sure i should post which ones they gave me :P

basically, a little box appears and it tells me to enter the username/password but when i enter them i just takes me back to the little box.

what do i do :s-smilie:

thank you to anyone that can help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending