Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yes, it was absolutely horrible. Missed an exam because of it, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Hey man, great to see a fellow engineer, gymaholic around! Just outa interest, how come you dont powerclean?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    Hey man, great to see a fellow engineer, gymaholic around! Just outa interest, how come you dont powerclean?
    I do sometimes power-clean. It's a fun lift. But it doesn't really carry over to anything else and I don't need to so I tend to not do them very often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I do sometimes power-clean. It's a fun lift. But it doesn't really carry over to anything else and I don't need to so I tend to not do them very often.
    I see. Nice 1 mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Lame. Do you have to take that exam again then?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Becca)
    Lame. Do you have to take that exam again then?
    Yes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very poor session tonight. I always say that after a week off but I never learn.

Paused squats [2s]:

140 x 1

This was quite difficult. Squatting felt off today. Not sure if I would have been able to do 145, but at least I've matched a PB, granted one that was easier when I first hit it.

Press:

50 x 3
    55 x 2
    60 x 1
    65 x 1
    70 x 1
    75 x f
    75 x f
    50 x 6
    50 x 5
    50 x 4

Quite disappointed with these. The weights felt heavier than usual and, odly, my wrists also hurt a fair bit. Did 75 x 2 push press after the two fails but that also sucked.

Romanian deadlifts:

100 x 6
    120 x 6

First time doing these in ages. First time using hook grip in ages too and these really crushed my hands for some reason. Weights weren't too heavy thankfully but my arms were really shaking after the 100 x 6.

Did some curls super-setted with pulldowns but the the second set of pulldowns was starting to destroy my shoulders so left.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    May's training review

Not much to say about May's training. Was ill, had exams, and started new job so didn't get any worthwhile training in apart from a small PB press.

Diet will be good whilst I'm at work because the food is massively subsidised, especially the healthy stuff. Free fruit in the office kitchens, too, and cold water for drinking as well. That's something that I've always been poor at - drinking enough water throughout the day.

Training wise, it'll be more of the same. Considering trying the Ortmayer/Magnusson deadlift routine, but if so it'll be after a few weeks until I get back into proper training and deadlifting. No sense in trying a new routine based off of set percentages when I don't know where I'm currently at.

Lastly, those RDLs absolutely fried by hamstrings and entire back. Hamstrings, erectors, lats and traps never been so sore!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Squats:

worked up to 150 x 1

Quite disappointed with this. Squats felt really terrible tonight for some reason. Nothing in particular, just nothing felt right. I'll do some more sets of medium reps for a while and see how this builds up my squat.

Press:

70 x 2 - 10s hold at top of last rep
    70 x 2 - 10s hold at top of last rep

Not too bad, considering Saturday's disaster.

Close grip bench:

60 x 6
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Obviously triceps hammered after doubles on overhead. Last rep of last set was a real grinder, took ages, but got it in the end.

GHRs with broomstick:

bodyweight x 15
    bodyweight x 15

Damn, really felt these in my hamstrings. Good!

Did a set of curls, got bored and left.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Okay session tonight.

Press:

65 x 1
    70 x 1
    72 x 1
    60 x 3
    50 x 9

72 was a hard but I got it. Bad shoulder DOMS, too, so not unhappy with 3kg less than my PR. 50 x 9 is also a rep PR.

Deadlifts:

160 x 1
    170 x 1
    180 x 1
    140 x 5
    140 x 5

Been ages since I've deadlifted heavy. Got up to 90% of my best single with belt and straps completely raw. Just trying to get back into the movement pattern. Body unused to heavy weights now and also hook grip a little rusty as well. Definitely lost strength on this from not having done it for ages but not lost as much as I thought I might have.

Did some curls, got bored again, then some quick stretches and went home.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Somewhat disappointing session tonight. Witnessed a 335 deadlift, though... not very often you see that, especially in a university gym.

Squats:

140 x 5

This was meant to be three sets of five, but the last two were such grinders that there was absolutely no way in hell that I'd have gotten even a single rep in the next set. Same as last time, everything felt very weak. Was wearing a belt also.

Press:

60 x 2
    65 x 1
    70 x 1
    75 x 1
    76 x f
    60 x 4 - failed 5th
    60 x 4

Glad that I at least matched my old PB, given that my strength in other areas has plummeted. Going to stick to 70 and try and get some volume with doubles and triples for the next two weeks.

Pendlay rows:

60 x 6
    70 x 6
    80 x 6

Did these with a wider grip. Not too hard.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thought I posted in this an hour ago...

Disappointing session tonight.

Press:

65 x 2
    65 x 3
    65 x 2

Disappointing to only get one triple. Weights just felt extremely heavy tonight.

Speed press:

40 x 3
    40 x 3
    40 x 3
    40 x 3
    40 x 3
    40 x 3

Speed was okay. Also acted as some extra volume.

Deadlifts:

160 x 1
    180 x 1
    190 x f

Disappointing to not get 190. Maybe it was my grip - haven't had to hook grip heavy for a long time. Bar just wouldn't budge, whereas 180 didn't feel too bad. Probably should have tried to rep 180, but meh.

I really need to come up with a plan, though, as what I'm doing isn't working.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So do I do Starting Strength or not? It seems a fairly logical choice given that my squatting and deadlifting has plummeted and I have access to cheap, high quality food and sit on my ass all day - so recovery is good. Starting weights would be 130 squat and 150 deadlift; not sure about the upper body stuff because I've not benched in a while nor have I done sets of five across on the press either. I'd be subbing power cleans for Pendlay rows because I think that Pendlay rows are a lot more useful for my purposes.

The other option, lets call it plan B, which is what I was planning yesterday when I was actually meant to be doing work, was similar except that squats were only done on Monday and Friday, with deadlifts only on Wednesday, and continuing with my pressing training as it is, with Pendlay rows on the days without deadlifts. Plan B would, in theory, be easier to recover from due to the lower amount of squatting and deadlifting.

My gym has 0.5, 1, 2 and 5kg plates, which will be handy for micro-loading the smaller exercises.

Something else I've been noting over the last while is that I really need a proper plan for my training, at least until I can get back to my previous best numbers. I know from experience that when I did 143 for three hard sets of five on the squat I could triple 170. Likewise with a 175 x 5 deadlift I could do 200 for a single. With SS it won't take me long to get to these numbers...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So it's settled: I'm going to go back on Starting Strength. This is the logical choice as it is an actual structured routine so I'm less likely to **** it up. Plus it has sets across which is what I need at this stage to get me reacquainted with things. Starting weights will be;

Squat: 120
    Bench: 70
    Deadlift: 150
    Press: 50
    Row: 70

Obviously very light, but the weight increases fast so it won't be long until I'm back to where I was. I did something similar last year in Madcows: starting off stupidly light but adding weight and getting some volume in each session and when I came to my PRs I blew right past them and then some.

Assistance will be dips after rows and chins after deadlifts. I'll throw in curls, too, because I need them and they don't hamper recovery. Probably going to make 5kg increases to the deadlift, 3kg increases to the squat, bench and row, and 2kg increases to the press initially. Bench will probably need to be dropped to 2kg within a fortnight, though. Should get plenty of mileage with the squat, and a fair bit with the press too, since I've done 60 for 5x5.

ReputationRep:
    sounds good given the assistance exercises

looking a few posts back, 75 press! What was your bodyweight then?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by a_t)
    sounds good given the assistance exercises
    It's just the standard Starting Strength really.

The original plan I made back in January after I had squatted 170 x 3 and deadlifted 200 was to continue getting stronger and hopefully be at a 200 squat and 230 deadlift by the end of my exams in May so I'd have a base of strength for hypertrophy training of my legs and back, whilst continued to increase my pressing strength. I was going to be doing things like sets of 10 on the squat and deadlift to try and get jacked over the summer for my final year of uni and have a better chance of ploughing some freshers.

But that never happened because I'm in a worse position than I was back then. So I'm doing something that will bring my numbers up quickly. At the moment any sort of hypertrophy training would be useless for me because my ability to rep out weights has been damaged even more than my ability to put up 1RMs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It's just the standard Starting Strength really.
    yeah true, tbh I was put right off SS when I saw it cos all I saw was

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    1x5 Deadlift

and WS4SB looked more appealing, oh well!

How long did it take you to first get that 200 deadlift?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by a_t)
    yeah true, tbh I was put right off SS when I saw it cos all I saw was

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    1x5 Deadlift

and WS4SB looked more appealing, oh well!

How long did it take you to first get that 200 deadlift?
    SS will definitely get your squat and deadlift numbers up much faster than any of the WS4SB routines. For some people the extra volume and variety of rep ranges really help in increasing the the pressing faster than SS, though. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a hybrid programme taking the best of both.

Technically speaking, it took me three years to get that first 200 deadlift. But that number alone doesn't tell the whole story because in my training history I've quite often increased my strength a fair bit in a consistent bout of training, then either followed this by a couple of months of fruitless training or illness and having to start all over again. This log is pretty much my entire training history, bar my first couple of months way back in 2007. I reckon it's a good read because it shows where I went wrong.

To better answer your question, I remember that I had a session sometime between last Xmas and new year where I deadlifted 140 for a 1RM single. Then after a few months of SS I did 170 x 5. I never managed to better that during 2010 because most of that year was spend ****ing around. I never took a true 1RM deadlift in the whole of 2010.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Everything went okay tonight. Had to wait ages for a rack, though...

Squats:

120 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x 5

Nice and easy.

Bench press:

70 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Okay. One or two reps on second set a bit harder than I'd have hoped for but not benched in ages so it's obviously going to have dropped a fair bit. Difficulty coming mainly from technique, which should come back fairly quickly.

Deadlifts:

150 x 5

Really easy. Had to wait a while until there was enough plates, though.

Tried to do a set of dips but shoulder was having none of it. So did some stretching and went home.

ReputationRep:
    My shoulders wouldn't let me bench properly today ¬_¬ the weighted dips were fine

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.