Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
Le Franglais
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Is it legally possible for a member state to be ejected?Posted from TSR Mobile
This was hypothetically speaking, I don't know the laws about ejection.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Le Franglais)
Guys have a little thought about this: What would Scotland's reaction be if the rest of the UK said "Sorry Scotland, but we don't need you any more" .... There'd be an uproar wouldn't there? Alex Salmond is a deluded hypocrite, it seems to me that he hasn't thought this through enough ...
Me neither clearly cos I have no idea what yer getting at.

Another Unionist commentator starting to worry.... http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/be...and-does-care/
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JamesyC)
If Scotland votes yes, then Better Together will go down in history as a massive factor because it is so incredibly negative.
Can you possibly find me an example of a referendum campaign opposing the referendum's proposal that was "positive", in your view?
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Is it legally possible for a member state to be ejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As about as likely as being able to walk away from debt......but they'll be people out there who will believe it and quite websites to back up their claims.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jenkinsear)
History won't care. Scotland is irrelevant. I'll be surprised if there is even a footnote about it in any future 25th century version of a history textbook.
Based on what? Take it there wont be any reference to British history either seeing as you can't have that without Scotland :rofl:
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Me neither clearly cos I have no idea what yer getting at.

Another Unionist commentator starting to worry.... http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/be...and-does-care/
This story keeps getting posted by nationalists.

This is the third time in two hours I've seen it posted.

Do you get told what to post?

Kind of goes against what you're saying about media bias though.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)
Based on what? Take it there wont be any reference to British history either seeing as you can't have that without Scotland :rofl:
Weren't you saying the other week that in the event if a yes vote we'd still be British?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Many times. You think the UK government will extend the referendum on EU membership to those ex-pats living abroad?
The answer is 'yes'. UK referendums are open to enrolled British voters resident abroad. This is precisely what happened with the AV referendum.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Weren't you saying the other week that in the event if a yes vote we'd still be British?
Ehh don't think so? Are you confusing me with someone else?
jenkinsear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Britain will end up being the name given to England, Wales & NI so the name will still have some meaning. Scotland's minor contribution will be forgotten (I agree inaccurately) as people will assume Britain was always just E,W&NI. It's like Ireland was part of the United Kingdom until the 1920's- how many people really think 'oh Ireland' whenever they see a historical reference to the UK or Britain? They don't.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Britain will end up being the name given to England, Wales & NI so the name will still have some meaning. Scotland's minor contribution will be forgotten (I agree inaccurately) as people will assume Britain was always just E,W&NI. It's like Ireland was part of the United Kingdom until the 1920's- how many people really think 'oh Ireland' whenever they see a historical reference to the UK or Britain? They don't.
The difference is though it was a Scottish king that became king of England and therefore the reason that the union started in the first place...
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
This story keeps getting posted by nationalists.

This is the third time in two hours I've seen it posted.

Do you get told what to post?

Kind of goes against what you're saying about media bias though.
I can't see that it's been posted anywhere on here, and no.
I don't think I've ever commented on media bias, but feel free to continue to make stuff up!

It's hardly bias anyway, the commentator clearly believes in the Union, he can just see what most on this thread seem oblivious to.
jenkinsear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The difference is though it was a Scottish king that became king of England and therefore the reason that the union started in the first place...
I completely accept the irony of it. I'm just saying history has a tendency to skirt over certain points of accuracy as time goes on. Hence my point about Ireland.
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
The answer is 'yes'. UK referendums are open to enrolled British voters resident abroad. This is precisely what happened with the AV referendum.
So they did. Surprising.

Though you will admit I'm sure that was easier to enforce given a British citizen holds a British passport. Defining a Scot abroad is slightly more complicated.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I completely accept the irony of it. I'm just saying history has a tendency to skirt over certain points of accuracy as time goes on. Hence my point about Ireland.
Ahh, fair enough
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
So they did. Surprising.

Though you will admit I'm sure that was easier to enforce given a British citizen holds a British passport. Defining a Scot abroad is slightly more complicated.
Agreed, which is one of the main administrative challenges. UK overseas voters are, however, still geographically attached: they vote in the constituency they were last resident in.

I suppose the best solution would - if anyone actually wanted to go down this road - be to consider all British citizens resident in a Scottish constituency in the last 14 years as eligible to vote. However this would naturally include many people who had few links to Scotland: who may, for example, have lived here for a very short time.

On the other hand, I suppose those who had few links with Scotland would be disinclined to exercise their democratic rights in that situation.
FinalMH
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah and I don't think the average person is going to care about that.... Scotland will be irrelevant to the rUK when it leaves simple. Yeah we will trade but that's about it...
http://www.boredpanda.com/americans-...ntries-on-map/

I find it amusing how some people in america can't even get the UK correct now...
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FinalMH)
Yeah and I don't think the average person is going to care about that.... Scotland will be irrelevant to the rUK when it leaves simple. Yeah we will trade but that's about it...
http://www.boredpanda.com/americans-...ntries-on-map/

I find it amusing how some people in american can't even get the UK correct now...
Being irrelevant to the rUK and being irrelevant to history are different things though..

As for those american answers, that doesn't surprise me! :rofl: at someone calling N. Ireland 'The Shire' though
hmainpolly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was originally a no voter, which was perhaps drummed into me by my parents, however over the course of time things have changed.

Of course, it's all a huge risk, will we be able to stay afloat? Can we continue to fund a free NHS, paid tuition fees? Are jobs, mortgages and pensions secure? I've taken this all into account, wondering if this is just a selfish point of view. There are so many, too many people (including a frightening number of children), especially in the Glasgow area in dire poverty, relying on foodbanks. Is this the fault of Westminster?

Do we continue to allow a government we didn't vote for to rule us? Scotland is a broadly left wing country, England much more right wing. There is one Tory MP remaining, and not to forget the torture that wicked Thatcher imposed on this small nation (when we voted against her THREE TIMES). The MP expenses scandal is pretty disgusting too.

I think I'm now in the "don't know" category. The union isn't entirely broken, but it's not really working either. Salmond is also making all these presumptions, are you sure we will have the pound? Maybe if he'd asked us "do you agree with Scottish independence in principle?" and had there been a majority yes vote, he would then do his research, ask the questions then presented the blueprint for an independent Scotland.

Is there anyone out there who can sway me to either camp?
It would be appreciated.

Oh, and by the way, here's one of my favourite scenes from Trainspotting which might explain our situation a wee bit
jenkinsear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hmainpolly)
Do we continue to allow a government we didn't vote for to rule us? Scotland is a broadly left wing country, England much more right wing. There is one Tory MP remaining
The opinion polls indicate that you'll probably get a few more Tory MP's (if you stay) at the next election due to the collapse in the Lib Dem vote. Edinburgh West, Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine and Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk look very likely indeed to go Tory.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads