Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Once again he thinks he knows my city better than me :laugh:

Villa aren't underachieving. They've had a billionaire owner for years, spent a **** load of money and they're still terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Villa have one title in the last 100 years lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fideo)
    Villa have one title in the last 100 years lol
    :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))
    Once again he thinks he knows my city better than me :laugh:
    Explain why Leeds revel in our misfortune? What reason would they have to hate us so much? And don't say you're from Leeds so you'd know, because that's a cop out.

A ******** owner ****ing the club up to the point of relegation is something I could see them empathising with.

Villa aren't underachieving. They've had a billionaire owner for years, spent a **** load of money and they're still terrible.
    We haven't spent a ****load of money, we've spent decent money but not even in the same universe as Chelsea. & What good is a billionaire owner if he doesn't spend? He wants to sell ffs.

1 title in 100 years and still ahead of Chelsea :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Explain why Leeds revel in our misfortune? What reason would they have to hate us so much? And don't say you're from Leeds so you'd know, because that's a cop out.
    A) Delph
    B) nobody likes your fans

There was also bitterness after bradford shoved one up your ass but that's likely died down now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A) Delph
    B) nobody likes your fans

There was also bitterness after bradford shoved one up your ass but that's likely died down now.
    A load of rubbish. I've just given you the Delph one. The fans one is the oldest excuse in the book. Plenty of clubs do like us actually. Rotherham loved us, Bradford did as well. Tottenham did also last season, thought we were quite funny.

Their rage after Bradford would have lasted about a day. We've all had a rival beat a much better team who should have seen them off but we don't hate them for longer than five minutes so if they are still pissed off about than then yeah #ThatNorthernLogic

ReputationRep:
    A load of rubbish. I've just given you the Delph one. The fans one is the oldest excuse in the book. Plenty of clubs do like us actually. Rotherham loved us, Bradford did as well. Tottenham did also last season, thought we were quite funny.

Their rage after Bradford would have lasted about a day. We've all had a rival beat a much better team who should have seen them off but we don't hate them for longer than five minutes so if they are still pissed off about than then yeah #ThatNorthernLogic
    Not surprised other clubs love you, Villa Park extends its hospitality onto the pitch :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ajax, not a massive fan just for what they've done in the game really. If you count Scotland and Wales as other countries then Swansea and Rangers. The former because I have a Swansea supporting friend and I like Hymns and Arias and the latter for their ground and Celtic hate.

I don't care about them any more than maybe check their results and watch the odd match though.
    Haha, oh Wilf! If you like that song than at least you can say you know four Welsh words..."Ar hyd y nos". Although, I am slightly disappointed you've favoured Swansea as your favourite Welsh team over Wrexham. We were once considered the second best in Wales. How times have changed! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Haha, oh Wilf! If you like that song than at least you can say you know four Welsh words..."Ar hyd y nos". Although, I am slightly disappointed you've favoured Swansea as your favourite Welsh team over Wrexham. We were once considered the second best in Wales. How times have changed! :rolleyes:
    I think 'araf' means slow and 'moron' means carrot. 6 :cool: (?)

That song sounds quality being sung though, used to always hear it during Swans matches and wondered what it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I like Sixth form because it has that inbetweeners feel to it.
    Were you an Inbetweener at school? I saw the second film last week, so funny.

Funny thing is Wilfred argues you have to be at the match or a parade to have a part on that trophy. He also argues that Villa are a big club. I'll wager he wasn't born when European cups were won by Villa, so he supports a small club :laugh:
    I'm not sure exactly what Wilf is arguing, I personally wouldn't accept that at all. In the 2012/2013 season, my first year at uni I didn't go to a single game, but I'm more than happy and make no apology about milking other fans and giving out pure banter. Not everyone has the circumstances to go to games. It depends on your situation. I went to about 40 home United games with my old man, from 2004/2005 to 2011/2012, haven't been since. We had a phone call when I was in college offering us season tickets, but Dad would have had to paid for mine so we couldn't do it. Since I've been at uni not had the chance, although I've got a free ticket Tuesday night as my mate and his dad have season tickets but his dad can't go, will be my first since Alex left.

I honestly can't remember many Blues fans in school at all. Best mate from primary and then from secondary (two different lads) were both noses though. Probably why I don't really despise them, the fans I know personally which is not many have always been sound enough really :confused:. I can remember a couple more around the time of our first PL derby but decent enough lads. A Baggie here, a Dingle there and the rest were majority Villa fans and then the MU/Liverpool fans.

I remember when Baggies stayed up, the time before the 'great escape' in '05 so don't really mind them either as again I never grew up with their ******** fans.

If that was 2005 my mates were at that. 2-0 to Blues?
    Yeah it's weird. I don't think I really understood the concept of leagues below the Premier League till I got to secondary school, literally everyone at my infant and junior school was Villa/MU/LIV/ARS/CHE and Newcastle United, and that was it. Didn't meet any Blues/Wolves/WBA until secondary school.

Remember when Blues beat Villa in the first year they were up? Enkleman, school the next day was unreal haha.

I seem to remember Birmingham losing 1-0 at St. James Park, I could be wrong though. Can't beat away games pal!

ReputationRep:
    I think 'araf' means slow and 'moron' means carrot. 6 :cool: (?)

That song sounds quality being sung though, used to always hear it during Swans matches and wondered what it was.
    You are correct, you’ll be fluent in no time. Moron is such a ridiculous word for carrot though. When you have the likes of cenoura (Portuguese) and zanahoria (Spanish), moron just sounds awful. I find Welsh such a horrible language though. Although slang, there’s still a lot of people who call their microwave “popty-ping” and when I was in school I was taught to say jellyfish as “pysgod wibbly wobbly”. Awful. Pili-pala for butterfly is another awful one.

ReputationRep:
    Welsh is a pointless language tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fideo)
    Welsh is a pointless language tbh
    Fots.

I agree though. Don't get why people strive so much for sectarianism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Big club isn't simply defined by amount of trophies. Villa have been nowhere near for years, a joke club that even Leeds fans berate, they absolutely love the collapse of the club. Chelsea have won leagues, CL and domestic cups in last decade, and have been a CL club for a long time. Chelsea have a larger fanbase in addition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If that's your argument then why do you put them above City?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    City have fluked 2 leagues, won pointless League Cup, fluked a FA cup against Stoke and are atrocious for the money they've spent in correlation to league and European performances. They also have a fraud manager. Chelsea have been (fairly) consistent over the last decade.

It's a done to death argument but personally I'm not bothered whether a club won leagues in the 19th century and then none after, and certainly don't classify them above a team who's won trophies in recent history where the standard of football has improved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Football changes very quickly. I think most players or younger fans would argue Chelsea and City are bigger than your Villas, Leeds, Forest any of those.

I'd argue it's about economic factors: market exposure, fan base, corporate sponsorship deals, and of course famous names playing for you. I find it hard to accept that Villa or Leeds are bigger than Chelsea or City. Perhaps with older people, but not younger generations. You can't live in the past, you've got to keep achieving, which is my worry about us now Ferguson has gone.

Saying that, I still think Liverpool are the second biggest club in England and they haven't won anything significant for years. Maybe they just won so much they can sustain it for longer. But I regard Manchester United as clearly the biggest club in England and quite possibly the world, and a 7th place finish doesn't change that for me.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah Wilf lol @ the Umbro joggers thing :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    You can't live in the past, you've got to keep achieving, which is my worry about us now Ferguson has gone.

Saying that, I still think Liverpool are the second biggest club in England and they haven't won anything significant for years.
    Ebo you're not making sense. The only way to quantify it is trophy wins. Trophies are king. That's what everyone is in it for. In terms of trophies we are bigger than both.

Other factors are far too inconsistent and unreliable and often hard to quantify.

Also sorry to piss on your chips but Real Madrid are unquestionably the biggest club in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Trophies are the main thing but how recently they were won is also relevant. A league title from 2014 is worth more than one from 1895.

ReputationRep:
    Ebo you're not making sense. The only way to quantify it is trophy wins. Trophies are king. That's what everyone is in it for. In terms of trophies we are bigger than both.

Other factors are far too inconsistent and unreliable and often hard to quantify.

Also sorry to piss on your chips but Real Madrid are unquestionably the biggest club in the world.
    I don't agree. Trophies aren't king. They are just one of a symbiosis of factors. The trouble is, as we've talked about before, your view of football is purely on the pitch, and with working class West Ham fans down the Nags Head talking about the game. But it's changed. We now live in an era of the primacy of the markets, men in suits and corporations. Football now, is primarily a business, or at least, it's just as much a business as it is a sport.

I'm not convinced those things are hard to measure. You look at how many fans clubs have, you look at the size of their corporate deals, these are other ways. I could argue trophies is hard to measure, because at what point in the past does that big club nature start to erode away? Just because teams won something in the 80s, they're not a massive club now, you have to sustain that. I was surprised to hear Jam call Chelsea a small club. I think you make a case for Chelsea as the third biggest club in Britain pretty much solely based on the last ten years. With the trophies won at the Bridge has come lucrative sponsorship deals, market exposure and a global fan base.

How many people aged 15-25 in Japan, China, Singapore and Taiwan have heard of Aston Villa and Leeds United? Probably only in the context of playing one of the teams they support, such as Chelsea or Manchester City. You might say you don't want them to support Villa, but make no mistake. I want Man United shirts on everyone in Asia. I want to see kids queuing for Mao's Mausoleum with Rooney 10 on a Man United shirt. That means we're a big club.

You could certainly question the Manchester United/Real Madrid debate.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.