The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
not really feasible though is it. Most people can't do 5 subjects in a qualification designed to be done in threes.
There are 7 days in a week and the qualifications are individual. When you look at what the Asians do, there's no excuse for such talk in the UK.

(Original post by mobbsy91)
Urgh, whilst I agree that taking a language probably is a good idea for the majority of jobs in the future, I must say that I'd be ****ing pissed off if I'd had to do a language .

I think 4 A levels is a good number though, but I think when people drop to 3, it's taking the easy way out
So would i, but language and maths skills are both lacking from GCSE graduates and of vital importance to the UK.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
yes, that's why I like IB, but I wonder if A-levels are too in-death to realistically take more then 4.
Well, I know people at my school who took 5 ASs and then dropped one, and so now do 4 A2s, so that could work...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
There are 7 days in a week and the qualifications are individual. When you look at what the Asians do, there's no excuse for such talk in the UK.

So would i, but language and maths skills are both lacking from GCSE graduates and of vital importance to the UK.
Do many GCSE candidates not do a language?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
yes, that's why I like IB, but I wonder if A-levels are too in-death to realistically take more then 4.
The South Koreans manage to study like 12 hours per day and 70% of them have private tutors. Britain's had it too easy for too long.

At the very least it will separate the weak/lazy from the chaff, especially with a graduate surplus at university.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do many GCSE candidates not do a language?
GCSE's are not nearly rigorous enough.

Plenty of employers complain about the English and Maths skills of university graduates and they all likely did well at GCSE. Hence my belief in pushing them at A level.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I know people at my school who took 5 ASs and then dropped one, and so now do 4 A2s, so that could work...
yes, but it's like the IB has 9+ subjects.

The South Koreans manage to study like 12 hours per day and 70% of them have private tutors. Britain's had it too easy for too long.

At the very least it will separate the weak/lazy from the chaff, especially with a graduate surplus at university.
its a completely different culture and the children get no social life at all. Plus we really can't afford private tutors.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

its a completely different culture and the children get no social life at all. Plus we really can't afford private tutors.
IB has 6 i thought.

Well i'm not saying we go that far, just that we can't use the excuse of no time. Only because we spend so much on consumerist stuff instead. I'm going to make damn sure that my future children get a tutor.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
GCSE's are not nearly rigorous enough.

Plenty of employers complain about the English and Maths skills of university graduates and they all likely did well at GCSE. Hence my belief in pushing them at A level.
Fair enough... but what about a foreign language... they aren't compulsory at GCSE right? So I'd say make them compulsory for that.

(Original post by Aph)

The IB is a totally different spec but I know those who do IB at my school, do have a heavier workload - didn't think it was 9 subjects though...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
IB has 6 i thought.

Well i'm not saying we go that far, just that we can't use the excuse of no time. Only because we spend so much on consumerist stuff instead. I'm going to make damn sure that my future children get a tutor.
it looks like 9 on the website... Maybe a few more.

Aye... But then there is also Finland who is completely different. Like I said I'm pretty sure it's more the entitlement culture we have in Britain where we think because we live in the UK we will instantly get a good job and don't need to work.

Fair enough... but what about a foreign language... they aren't compulsory at GCSE right? So I'd say make them compulsory for that.

The IB is a totally different spec but I know those who do IB at my school, do have a heavier workload - didn't think it was 9 subjects though...
Pretty sure it's 9
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

Aye... But then there is also Finland who is completely different. Like I said I'm pretty sure it's more the entitlement culture we have in Britain where we think because we live in the UK we will instantly get a good job and don't need to work.

Pretty sure it's 9
Being on the left i'm suprised you don't agree with the entitlement culture.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

Pretty sure it's 9
Ok, there are actually 6 subjects - you're getting the 9 because of Theory of Knowledge, extended essay and CAS. The CAS is not actually a subject, but more, you have to do some creativity, action and service. The extended essay doesn't have to have lessons all the time - at my school, those doing IB have some extra extended essay lessons nearer the time, but also have a tutor who they go to in individually arranged meetings. Obviously this is still extra work. And ToK I would assume is another lesson, so 6 'subjects', and ToK, which would make up 7 lesson blocks.

So, Rakas21, you are correct - 6 subjects...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Being on the left i'm suprised you don't agree with the entitlement culture.
i like to surprise people. But that's why I like the Germans for instance, or the Japanese. They are good workers. But like I said people seem to think that because we are British we are better and some things are beneath us...
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok, there are actually 6 subjects - you're getting the 9 because of Theory of Knowledge, extended essay and CAS. The CAS is not actually a subject, but more, you have to do some creativity, action and service. The extended essay doesn't have to have lessons all the time - at my school, those doing IB have some extra extended essay lessons nearer the time, but also have a tutor who they go to in individually arranged meetings. Obviously this is still extra work. And ToK I would assume is another lesson, so 6 'subjects', and ToK, which would make up 7 lesson blocks.

So, Rakas21, you are correct - 6 subjects...
Yes that's what I was thinking.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
If it was upto me i'd make you all take a language, a maths/science and then your three choices.
I completely agree and this is why IB is a fantastic option!
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
That's why I like the Germans for instance. They are good workers.
:rofl: Not the East Germans

Also a lot is beneath the British and I'd tend to agree, no way I'd be a cleaner for example, leave that to the Polish.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
:rofl: Not the East Germans

Also a lot is beneath the British and I'd tend to agree, no way I'd be a cleaner for example, leave that to the Polish.
im sure that's funny I just don't get it.

And it's that attitude which is destroying Britain.
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
im sure that's funny I just don't get it.

And it's that attitude which is destroying Britain.
Because you don't know Germany or Germans no doubt. If you did, you'd agree and laugh. Strange to admire a group of people and not know anything basic about them.

Oh my, it isn't, it's making Britain... Just for the Poles not British

Lets just bring back Blair and be done with it. I pledge allegiance to the United States of Tony!
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My only objection to A levels is that people do too few to get the best result they can when education should be a challenge. I also think that resits should be capped at a C, the number of people who take resits when they already have A/B grades on here is stupid and abusive of the system.

If it was upto me i'd make you all take a language, a maths/science and then your three choices.
Find myself in agreement with you here. A modified IB would be ideal. Perhaps a well-thought out version of Citizenship/PSHE, where politics, law, taxes and general life skills are combined. Naturally I'd make everyone study Geography too on punishment of death
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
I would have liked to do the IB. Can you believe some lucky people have local FE colleges that do the IB, if only mine did! :cry2:
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would have continued with 4 A Levels but due to my depression it was medically advised that I dropped English (books were a massive trigger).

My school makes it compulsory for you to do a GCSE language.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads