The Insomniacs Society Watch

Idle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
For sure. I also understand the definition of OCD.

Do I believe that most people who claim to have insomnia/OCD genuinely suffer from it?

No, not at all. Most people with 'insomnia' do so because it is self inflicted with poor sleep hygiene.
Ok, cool story bro.

Can't talk about anyone else but I have in the past followed all of that, tried Temazepam and Zopiclone with limited success. So now I am having to just accept it and try be productive while I am awake.
Rybee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mattayy)
I cant sleep until about 8am every day! and all i do from 3-8 is complain that i cant sleep!
If you can sleep at 8AM, you do not have insomnia.

(Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
Then why on Earth am I still awake???
Because you're still mucking about on TSR, not trying to sleep.
(Original post by tasha96)
1) I'm not on a laptop- I use tsr on the same device I have audio books on (which are supposed to help me sleep).
2) Yes, I would love to go to sleep, however I have a lot of issues surrounding sleep (especially at the moment) that prevent me from doing so.
3) Sometimes, I really need some form of distraction during the long nights when things aren't so great.

But thanks for the advice.
1) Laptop/Phone/Audio Book - it doesn't matter. Stop using TSR, it wont aid, your attempts to sleep.
2) The fact that you say you have 'issues' leads me to believe it's simply a psychological problem, and not a physiological illness. Who doesn't have issues?
3) You need a distraction from trying to sleep, to help you sleep, so you stop trying to sleep? Oh my god...

You really don't sound like you have insomnia at all... Just a bit wound up.

I honestly hate people who claim to have insomnia/OCD.

'Im a student, I sleep all through the day and then I'm awake at night - OMGODZ i've got insomnia!'

'I prefer to have things neat and tidy - OMGODZ i've got OCD!'

Irritating as hell.
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Idle)
Ok, cool story bro.

Can't talk about anyone else but I have in the past followed all of that, tried Temazepam and Zopiclone with limited success. So now I am having to just accept it and try be productive while I am awake.
Jack up the dose... Benzo's, Antihistamines and Z drug's will aid acute insomnia. Fact.
sherbet_lemons7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
For sure. I also understand the definition of OCD.

Do I believe that most people who claim to have insomnia/OCD genuinely suffer from it?

No, not at all. Most people with 'insomnia' do so because it is self inflicted with poor sleep hygiene.
Well that's nice. I sincerely hope that if you ever have the misfortune to develop either of these (or anything similar) that you don't encounter people with attitudes like yours.
Idle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
x
While your heart might be in the right place, your attitude is certainly going to put people off listening to you.
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well that's nice. I sincerely hope that if you ever have the misfortune to develop either of these (or anything similar) that you don't encounter people with attitudes like yours.
I've suffered from insomnia in the past so I know exactly what it's like. Fact of the matter is people love to label themselves as insomniacs because they 'only' get 4/5 hours sleep twice a week. Apart from my father, I've never met anyone in real life with insomnia. I've met hundreds of people who have 'OCD' because they like to do certain stuff. It's not obsessive. It's not compulsive and it's not a disorder. It's 'cool' to be labelled these days. Hell I had a can of redbull the other day and was wired like dog on speed, doesn't mean I have ADHD. I was tired whilst reading a book and lost my concentration, doesn't mean I'm dyslexic.

I just don't understand why people brag about things like these... I think it's incredibly insulting to those who actually suffer.
sherbet_lemons7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
I've suffered from insomnia in the past so I know exactly what it's like. Fact of the matter is people love to label themselves as insomniacs because they 'only' get 4/5 hours sleep twice a week. Apart from my father, I've never met anyone in real life with insomnia. I've met hundreds of people who have 'OCD' because they like to do certain stuff. It's not obsessive. It's not compulsive and it's not a disorder. It's 'cool' to be labelled these days. Hell I had a can of redbull the other day and was wired like dog on speed, doesn't mean I have ADHD. I was tired whilst reading a book and lost my concentration, doesn't mean I'm dyslexic.

I just don't understand why people brag about things like these... I think it's incredibly insulting to those who actually suffer.

So you decided to come in here and vent your frustration about this at us? :confused: Despite knowing sod all about any of us or our circumstances? :lolwut:
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you decided to come in here and vent your frustration about this at us? :confused: Despite knowing sod all about any of us or our circumstances? :lolwut:
Yep. There's nothing to eat in the fridge and hunger makes me grouchy.
sherbet_lemons7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
Yep. There's nothing to eat in the fridge and hunger makes me grouchy.
Still no need to take any of it out on us though. :nah:
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Still no need to take any of it out on us though. :nah:
Do you believe that you have clinical insomnia, and if so is it acute or chronic? How many hours do you sleep per night on average, and how many per week on average?
sherbet_lemons7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
Do you believe that you have clinical insomnia, and if so is it acute or chronic? How many hours do you sleep per night on average, and how many per week on average?
That's not really any of your business. And believe me, I'm going to listen to my gp over a random stranger on the internet any day.
Rybee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's not really any of your business. And believe me, I'm going to listen to my gp over a random stranger on the internet any day.
You've proved my point entirely. Well done, you've 'labelled' yourself now. That's really cool, tell more people about it.
sherbet_lemons7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
You've proved my point entirely. Well done, you've 'labelled' yourself now. That's really cool, tell more people about it.
Did you actually read what I posted? :erm:
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rybee)
tbh accepting what your GP has said isn't really labelling yourself, more just bowing to the knowledge of someone who A) knows a lot more about insomnia than you & B) knows a lot more about the person's circumstances than you.

Do some of the people in here not actually have insomnia? Possibly, but there's no need to act as you have done.
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Great, Ive got a 9.30 and I've only slept for an hour (and that was 11pm to midnight) and I've just realised that I might not be able to go back to sleep. Normally, I'd just miss the 9.30, but I've decided that I might as well pull out all the stops and try to go. Even after nights of drinking, I always sleep at least a few hours and I've never gone to a lecture or tutorial with no sleep whatsoever. I guess this'll be a first...
emobambam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:leaf::leaf::leaf:
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey there peoples.

This might, possibly, be the wrong place to ask for advice on how to sleep, but it's easier than making a new thread I guess.

I've recently started having mild insomnia. I don't sleep all night, don't really feel tired during the day, then maybe sleep an hour or two in the afternoon. It's gone on for about a week now, and I'm starting to really feel the effects.

Has anyone got advice on getting to sleep? I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas. I really want to get back to how I was before all this. Pretty sure it's stress related due to family problems, not certain though. Not sure if it even counts as insomnia, there seems to be alot of hostility in this thread for people with just mild sleep issues like me.
emobambam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf::leaf:
bytail
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
Hey there peoples.

This might, possibly, be the wrong place to ask for advice on how to sleep, but it's easier than making a new thread I guess.

I've recently started having mild insomnia. I don't sleep all night, don't really feel tired during the day, then maybe sleep an hour or two in the afternoon. It's gone on for about a week now, and I'm starting to really feel the effects.

Has anyone got advice on getting to sleep? I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas. I really want to get back to how I was before all this. Pretty sure it's stress related due to family problems, not certain though. Not sure if it even counts as insomnia, there seems to be alot of hostility in this thread for people with just mild sleep issues like me.
Have a go at some Sleep Hygiene practices, sometimes they can help you get to sleep at night
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmmmm, whilst others are only just waking up (or have a few hours ago), I'm just contemplating whether I can go to sleep now or not...

I'm also contemplating whether I'm living in the right timezone... :ahee:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.86%
No - but I will (46)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.32%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
46.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise