Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Today is a very big day.

Fo those people saying that you win the league by beating the smaller teams, just take a look at this season.

For the first time in a long time we have beaten 2 of the top four teams in the league (City and United), and for the first time in a long time we are sitting in second, approaching the end of the season.

You win the league by beating/not losing to your rivals. It's about time we realised that.
    At the moment we're still bottom of the top 4 mini table and didn't beat united in the league, althout we have played the least number of games. We have to win today otherwise it'll be another season where we haven't beaten the current top 4 side at home (not countig Liverpool last year).

We'd have to beat both united away and Chelsea to finish top of the mini league (doubt either will happen) and even if we did we still won't win the league. Where we've lost it is against the 6-10th placed teams; lost to Tottenham, Swansea (still to play them again), Southampton and Stoke, the only 6-10 team we've taken all 6 points off is West Ham.

ReputationRep:
    excited for this afternoon

Nice for the game to not feel very pressured - on either side really. both teams know where they will end up (champions vs top4)

Just think about how much worse this could have been had wenger not turned things around since christmas.. if we were in a top4 battle right now, going into face chelsea and united away.. jeeze, I would not be confidident

ReputationRep:
    Anyway question must be asked.

Does Wenger deserve another season?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    excited for this afternoon

Nice for the game to not feel very pressured - on either side really. both teams know where they will end up (champions vs top4)

Just think about how much worse this could have been had wenger not turned things around since christmas.. if we were in a top4 battle right now, going into face chelsea and united away.. jeeze, I would not be confidident
    Wenger would smell blood and probably beat both. Less chance of that happening now if anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)

for me that depends on how you answer the question:

'Will wenger win anything more then the FA cup in the next 2 years.'

Honestly, for me, I dont think so.

We have not been close to a CL, and I dont think we have the mental strength yet for a league victory..

Chances are we wont keep winning the cup year on year, and for such a great manager I want him to go out on a high.

Winning back to back cups = leave as a legend.

I would hate him to not win anything for the next 2 seasons, and then leave without a a trophy in is hand
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by T.Adams VI)
    Today is a very big day.

Fo those people saying that you win the league by beating the smaller teams, just take a look at this season.

For the first time in a long time we have beaten 2 of the top four teams in the league (City and United), and for the first time in a long time we are sitting in second, approaching the end of the season.

You win the league by beating/not losing to your rivals. It's about time we realised that.
    Not sure what you're referring to here, the West Ham United game on Boxing Day?

Beating the dross is more important. United have done well against the top teams but the reason why we're currently in 3rd/4th is because we've dropped so many points away from home against crap teams. We've played 7 teams in the bottom half away from home and dropped points to 5 of them which is an absolutely shocking statistic.

ReputationRep:

Why must the question be asked?

The question must be asked, does lvg deserve another season? How about pellegrini? Rogers? Potchetino? Koeman? How about Martinez? Oh and don't forget about big Sam? What about Pulis? Oh and Carver must go surely?

Why must the manager who has managed the 2nd best team in England have his future doubted? Pathetic **** stirring tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Why must the question be asked?

The question must be asked, does lvg deserve another season? How about pellegrini? Rogers? Potchetino? Koeman? How about Martinez? Oh and don't forget about big Sam? What about Pulis? Oh and Carver must go surely?

Why must the manager who has managed the 2nd best team in England have his future doubted? Pathetic **** stirring tbh
    It's a legitimate question tbf, Although I want him to remain until the end of his contract but we could potentially finish fourth with no FA Cup. The question as ever has to be asked but I feel we owe him alot more loyalty and time to build

ReputationRep:
    Hope we smash this mob today. Realistically though I can see it being a boring 0-0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    It's a legitimate question tbf, Although I want him to remain until the end of his contract but we could potentially finish fourth with no FA Cup. The question as ever has to be asked but I feel we owe him alot more loyalty and time to build
    But why is it that his job is being questioned when lvg's isn't?

We could also finish 2nd and retain the fa cup? Asking the question with 7 games to go is just stupid tbh, especially on the back of what 11 successive wins in all comps?

ReputationRep:
    But why is it that his job is being questioned when lvg's isn't?

We could also finish 2nd and retain the fa cup? Asking the question with 7 games to go is just stupid tbh, especially on the back of what 11 successive wins in all comps?
    Isn't there a whole thread dedicated to when LVG will be sacked?

It's an on topic question so I wouldn't call it stupid. Arsenal always seem to go on these last minute winning streaks towards the end of the season, We've done it for the last 3 seasons now. We can't keep on being strong for 19 games our early form has cost us the title.

Although I'm pro Wenger. The questions has to be asked

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there a whole thread dedicated to when LVG will be sacked?

It's an on topic question so I wouldn't call it stupid. Arsenal always seem to go on these last minute winning streaks towards the end of the season, We've done it for the last 3 seasons now. We can't keep on being strong for 19 games our early form has cost us the title.

Yes, which was set up when United were playing **** football and dropping points in easy matches, not after they'd won a fair few games on the trot and nearly secured top 4 once their key players came back from injury. Why is the question being posed when we're in 2nd place, have won 27 points out of our last 30 including wins against Liverpool and City away, reached the final of the FA Cup and won 9 games on the trot (11 domestic wins in a row too).

The sole purpose of asking it now is to try to divide our fan base before a big match...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Because for the 3rd season in the last 4 years, Arsenal have only started playing when their top four place is at risk. What is happening now is nothing new, in fact it must be so dull being an Arsenal fan because your season always goes one of two ways:

- Start the season well, get a few injuries, lose in CL round of 16, lose all your fixtures in March, finish 3rd/4th
    - Start the season badly, get a few injuries, lose in CL round of 16, win all your fixtures in March, finish 3rd/4th

Calls for his head are stupid (especially in a year when Liverpool and City will both be looking for new managers) but you're not going to win the league or go further in the CL under his tenure. Plans need to be put in place for his successor to avoid a Moyes situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, which was set up when United were playing **** football and dropping points in easy matches, not after they'd won a fair few games on the trot and nearly secured top 4 once their key players came back from injury. Why is the question being posed when we're in 2nd place, have won 27 points out of our last 30 including wins against Liverpool and City away, reached the final of the FA Cup and won 9 games on the trot (11 domestic wins in a row too).

The sole purpose of asking it now is to try to divide our fan base before a big match...
    Trust me I get what you mean.

We can't really let this good form to blind us on Wenger, like I said before it's a familiar trend even if I don't agree it's not an absurd question. Yes the timing is weird it's always best to wait to all thing are said and done.

Yeah maybe I can see that. If we lose today it won't affect my views on Wenger some might go fickle and scream Wenger out

ReputationRep:

Yeah. But I was of that opinion during our terrible start to the season too.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me I get what you mean.

We can't really let this good form to blind us on Wenger, like I said before it's a familiar trend even if I don't agree it's not an absurd question. Yes the timing is weird it's always best to wait to all thing are said and done.

Yeah maybe I can see that. If we lose today it won't affect my views on Wenger some might go fickle and scream Wenger out
    He deserves the last two seasons, it's sort of like the UK leaving the EU, why would you do it now when the country is starting to recover, it just adds unnecessary uncertainty that will only harm the UK? The same applies here, why would we get rid of Wenger when the team is finally showing signs of steady progress, all it would do is create uncertainty in the dressing room and the fans would turn against the new manager when things started to go wrong? It just doesn't make sense to me

ReputationRep:
    Would love seeing Henry manage us one day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Because for the 3rd season in the last 4 years, Arsenal have only started playing when their top four place is at risk. What is happening now is nothing new, in fact it must be so dull being an Arsenal fan because your season always goes one of two ways:

- Start the season well, get a few injuries, lose in CL round of 16, lose all your fixtures in March, finish 3rd/4th
    - Start the season badly, get a few injuries, lose in CL round of 16, win all your fixtures in March, finish 3rd/4th

Calls for his head are stupid (especially in a year when Liverpool and City will both be looking for new managers) but you're not going to win the league or go further in the CL under his tenure. Plans need to be put in place for his successor to avoid a Moyes situation.
    Which is why the question now is foolish, when the time comes it won't be some ridiculous snap decision, Vengs will already be grooming his successor.

I can see us winning the pl before Wenger leaves, I think we'll have a chance next year and definitely the year after, we only need a few players and the team is starting to gel.

ReputationRep:
    It's OK guys, we're the little horse, we're in transition period....

ReputationRep:

If we win the cup and finish second - yes.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.