The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I received 10 A*s and A's and 2 B's. I am happy at my results but looking back I could have tried harder. I was rather casual about these GCSE's.

According to several reports, top grades in both A-levels and GCSE's have fallen. They're tightening up the marking.
Original post by Mo Hoosen
I've made a deal with my mum that, if I get the right grades (her right), then I get to go to study IB in a really good school so I'm so nervous!
Mainly because I want to go to do IB.

Don't do IB. From an IB survivor, it just is not worth the hassle.
Reply 8242
can you be a doctor if you didn't do too well at gcse, did really good at a-level, achieving all A*/A & only taking psychology as a science.....?
Original post by maryam77
how did he get to do science then, in my sixth form you need to get a 'BB', to do 1 science, and an 'AA' to do two science a-levels

talk to your sixth form about your predicament and tell them to give you a chance in it, if you try hard enough they should give you a chance :smile:
I got 6A'S,3B's &i flopped french..
Original post by sophiamarni
you can do it i have an illness too i got 1A and b and cs and 2Ds but im remarking them as they do not add up

it is possible just work hard in alevels i want to go oxbridge you can do it never mind the people who tell you otherwise hopefully those ds will become A* i hope i really do

Yeah well I hope the remarks work for you, and yes for sure I know A-levels mean way more I just don't know how much GCSE matters - Out of my 6 A's I have some that are 4 or 5 ums off but I don't feel it's worth it I'm just really dissapointed with my C in Geography, I was on course for an A and then flopped my last exam, so may redo that to hopefully get an A :smile: what are you taking at A-level?
Reply 8246
how can you get into medicene via psychology route
Reply 8247
Original post by HeyHoYolo
talk to your sixth form about your predicament and tell them to give you a chance in it, if you try hard enough they should give you a chance :smile:

i did try, i'll try again, i am hardworking, it just wasn't my time :/ btw if i take psychology, maths, english literature and want to be a doctor should i take chemistry or biology if i want to get in, cause even if i can persuade the sixth form staff, they'll only permit me to take 1 science..
Does anyone know if you receive anything for achieving full UMS over a course? I achieved full UMS over the entirety of the AQA GCSE History B course, and I've heard that you apparently get a special certificate from the exam board and £50. Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?
Reply 8249
can someone please inform me about the undergraduate route to becoming a professional medical doctor, when you got 1a, 6b, snd 3c at gcses, and got all As and A*s at a-level, but only took psychology as a science
Reply 8250
Original post by Joe7
Does anyone know if you receive anything for achieving full UMS over a course? I achieved full UMS over the entirety of the AQA GCSE History B course, and I've heard that you apparently get a special certificate from the exam board and £50. Does anyone know if there's any truth in this?

I hope this is true, I got full UMS over the whole of my French course. No idea if it's true though. I'll let you know if I find anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maryam77
can someone please inform me about the undergraduate route to becoming a professional medical doctor, when you got 1a, 6b, snd 3c at gcses, and got all As and A*s at a-level, but only took psychology as a science

If you've not done chemistry at a-level, you cannot apply to medicine. Chemistry is imperative for every single medical school, so I suggest you take chemistry at a-level. Your a-level grades are fantastic, and your gcses are okay as long as you apply strategically.
Good Luck! :smile:
Original post by THEMathlete
Ah damn. Well, my school gave us, all together three sheets, one with the final course grades and the other two had unit examination grades and cw grades.
Unless your school gives it to you you can't find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust my school not to hand them out.
I did a btec in business and got distinction* does anyone know what this is equivalent to?
Original post by paradoxicalme
Remark any subjects in which:

-Marking is subjective (i.e. DON'T remark maths, and sciences are probably also not worth it)
-She honestly believes that she did a bit better than it says
-It's not too close to the B boundary
-There's one module, for instance, that's quite a bit lower than the others so is an obvious candidate for remarking.

Congratulations to your sister, those are great grades, and good luck for remarking :smile:

I want to remark my Eng Lang, but I got 249 UMS, and the A boundary was 240. The thing is, I lost nearly all of the marks in one unit, which was the writing and reading coursework, whilst getting about 4-5 ums off A* on the other two units. I honestly thought I did better in my coursework because I got A*s in every piece of writing :confused: and yet I was awarded 96UMS which is the boundary for an A, I don't get it.

Worth remarking?
Original post by nkamy
Hey, I did CIE igcse triple science and I got an A* in biology and A in chem and phys.

I am looking to do medicine in the near future and was wondering if I would be penalised for not getting an A* in chem as it is the main important subject needed for medicine.

I am looking to apply for cambridge who I know do look at your gcses. What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs

Students wishing to study Medicine must obtain:

grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics

two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science

AS/A Levels

Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics.

At least one pass must be at A Level, although most applicants for Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A Levels and some Colleges require this or ask for particular A Level subject(s). See individual College websites for details.

Although many Colleges consider applicants offering only two science/mathematics subjects at A Level, please note that the success rate of such applicants is much lower. In the past three admissions rounds, 98 per cent of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 22 per cent were successful in obtaining a place. Of the two per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, just six per cent were successful in gaining a place.

quoted straight from the cambridge website :wink:

With those being the requirements for gcse, I highly doubt they'd be any different for igcse
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8256
if I'd have tried as hard as I did this year in year 9 and 10 (our school utilises the 3 year system) i'd be much better off, this year I got
English Lit - A (i got an A in all 3 units but i'm not sure how far off an A* i was)
R.E - A* (194/200 - 97 in each unit)
Chemistry - A* (92/100)
Biology - A* (95/100)
Physics - A* (100/100)
Reply 8257
Original post by MaggieKan
I want to remark my Eng Lang, but I got 249 UMS, and the A boundary was 240. The thing is, I lost nearly all of the marks in one unit, which was the writing and reading coursework, whilst getting about 4-5 ums off A* on the other two units. I honestly thought I did better in my coursework because I got A*s in every piece of writing :confused: and yet I was awarded 96UMS which is the boundary for an A, I don't get it.

Worth remarking?

Hmm.. I'm sorry to say this but I don't see how you will get an additional 21 ums marks. Is this edexcel? So 270 for an A*? I was in a similar situation in yr 10, I got 262 so 8 marks from an A* and I lost most of my marks in unit 1; the reading and writing cw, but my teacher said I did well in it. In the exam I got an A* as well as in the spoken language unit-unit 2. My school said they won't re moderate the cw because then they would be admitting they marked it wrong. :s-smilie: Did you get an A* in lit? Is the A* needed for a specific course? The only one I can think of is Birmingham uni for medicine. But even Birmingham say they give preference to candidates with A*s in either english, so if you get one in lit it's ok.
I know how it feels, getting a grade you didn't want, but you should be happy that you got an A! Congratulations! Best of luck!
Hey guys! I'm doing Edexcel A-Level Maths Statistics, and was wondering what exams do you do in the first year out of these options?
4 Units in Core Mathematics
2 Units in Statistics
1 Unit in Decision Maths

Basically I'm asking can you choose any three options or is there a specific one you have to choose?

Thanks!
how likely is it that if i get my physical education (edexcel) remarked that it will get moved up 6 ums?

Latest