Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I don't even know what it is exactly... I know it's a rough approximation but it doesn't sound that​ useful. Whether I'll regret saying that, I don't know
    It's a pretty good approximation actually. Don't know what it could be used for but I can see it being useful in applied situations involving unsolvable equations.

ReputationRep:
    Can't decide what to firm out of Warwick Bath and Exeter... Exeter only gave me AAB and offered me a grant if I go there, which is looking really good against Warwick's A*A*A and a 2 in STEP which I just am not getting good at.......... but then Warwick maths is Warwick maths but then it's so much pressure to get in 😳😳😳😳😳😳 this will be a hard decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I don't even know what it is exactly... I know it's a rough approximation but it doesn't sound that​ useful. Whether I'll regret saying that, I don't know
    I can hear Newton turning in his grave. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    I can hear Newton turning in his grave. :rofl:
    Fun fact: apparently Raphson didn't even work with Newton on the Newton-Raphson thing, he just decided to put Newton's name in front of it to make people think he actually did work with Newton and that he's clever, something like that (so I heard, not entirely sure if this is true)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    When do your exams start?Mine start on 18th May!
    12th :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Fun fact: apparently Raphson didn't even work with Newton on the Newton-Raphson thing, he just decided to put Newton's name in front of it to make people think he actually did work with Newton and that he's clever, something like that (so I heard, not entirely sure if this is true)
    Really? I love people from the past, they did all kinds of groovy, self empowering things Can you imagine that nowadays? It'd never go down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    Does anyone want a very good riddle?
    Yes please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    A blind man is locked in a room, with no way to contact anyone or to know his surroundings.
    He has 4 pills in his left pocket. 2 are red and 2 are black. He has to take 1 red pill and 1 black pill in less than 2 minutes, or he will die. If he takes 2 red pills, he dies. If he takes 2 black pills, he dies. He can and must only take one of each. Obviously, he can't contact anyone to know which pill is which. How can he take a red and a black pill in less than 2 minutes?
    If you know the answer, don't spoil!

ReputationRep:
    A blind man is locked in a room, with no way to contact anyone or to know his surroundings.
    He has 4 pills in his left pocket. 2 are red and 2 are black. He has to take 1 red pill and 1 black pill in less than 2 minutes, or he will die. If he takes 2 red pills, he dies. If he takes 2 black pills, he dies. He can and must only take one of each. Obviously, he can't contact anyone to know which pill is which. How can he take a red and a black pill in less than 2 minutes?
    I have an idea but I think it's a little bit stupid so it's probably not right :L

ReputationRep:
    What if he takes all of them?
    Edit: I thought maybe the taking one of each would help here as in he takes only one of each but twice
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    I have an idea but I think it's a little bit stupid so it's probably not right :L
    Go ahead!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rachelc142)
    What if he takes all of them?
    Edit: I thought maybe the taking one of each would help here as in he takes only one of each but twice
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    No! He can only take one of each. Not two

ReputationRep:
    No! He can only take one of each. Not two
    He only takes one?
    I really wanna know the answer. I've stopped doing my integration hwk to try and think about it hahaha it's killin me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rachelc142)
    He only takes one?
    I really wanna know the answer. I've stopped doing my integration hwk to try and think about it hahaha it's killin me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He has to take one black and one red! Not more, not less. Carry on doing the hwk! I'll post the solution in half an hour

ReputationRep:
    Go ahead!
    when you take pill out of your pocket cut it in half? throw the other half away... Then you take the next one and do the same. Then you'll have two pill but in four halves and you'll know you'll have two black halves and two red halves? idk... Are you allowed to take more than two pills out of your pocket?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Not sure about this one...but my theory is in the spoiler

Spoiler:
    Show

Break each pill into two halves and discard of one half of each. Therefore the equivalent of two of each?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    when you take pill out of your pocket cut it in half? throw the other half away... Then you take the next one and do the same. Then you'll have two pill but in four halves and you'll know you'll have two black halves and two red halves? idk... Are you allowed to take more than two pills out of your pocket?
    That's the answer! Well done
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    God damn it! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    thats what me and my brother got haha
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Not sure about this one...but my theory is in the spoiler

Spoiler:
    Show

Break each pill into two halves and discard of one half of each. Therefore the equivalent of two of each?
    Well done

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.