Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by samir12)
    To think we were actually joking about this, it really has happened...

This will be the last one, I swear !
    :lol: Well, if the £34.5m+add-on figure in the Telegraph is right, we've gotten a good deal on this one as well. I'm not sure his consistency is good enough for you guys but there's no doubt that with the right manager he can dance through defences in the prem. Enjoy him, we'll enjoy the money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    To think we were actually joking about this, it really has happened...

This will be the last one, I swear !
    We've been linked to Bertrand *cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    :lol: Well, if the £34.5m+add-on figure in the Telegraph is right, we've gotten a good deal on this one as well. I'm not sure his consistency is good enough for you guys but there's no doubt that with the right manager he can dance through defences in the prem. Enjoy him, we'll enjoy the money
    You'll enjoy the mediocrity as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    You'll enjoy the mediocrity as well.
    Ironic coming from an Arsenal fan
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mane confirmed - he will wear No.19.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Mane!

ReputationRep:
    Lot of money so presume that is our marquee signing for this summer.

For me we just need a CM and LB now but ideally we'd also pick up a back-up RB and a 4th choice CB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Lot of money so presume that is our marquee signing for this summer.

For me we just need a CM and LB now but ideally we'd also pick up a back-up RB and a 4th choice CB?
    Scenes when you buy Ward-Prowse, Bertrand and Pelle (to replace Benteke)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    Scenes when you buy Ward-Prowse, Bertrand and Pelle (to replace Benteke)
    We don't need to replace Benteke since we have Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino and even Mane could play there if needed.

Bertrand might not be awful? LBs are pretty painful to buy and we've struggled with that position for years.

I think Zielinski will be the CM so probably not looking to raid Southampton for that position.

ReputationRep:
    We don't need to replace Benteke since we have Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Firmino and even Mane could play there if needed.

Bertrand might not be awful? LBs are pretty painful to buy and we've struggled with that position for years.

I think Zielinski will be the CM so probably not looking to raid Southampton for that position.
    Bertrand's decent tbf. Would Kieran Gibbs start for you lot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    Bertrand's decent tbf. Would Kieran Gibbs start for you lot?
    Is he an upgrade defensively on Moreno? Probably not that much.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    RE: Mane. We lack pace, which he brings, and we lack goals from behind the front man, which he brings.

Sure, his ratio is probably 1 in 3, but if he was consistent he'd be costing more than £30m in this current market. As it is, he's streaky and blows hot and cold, but he has qualities we are missing. He offers directness, width, pace and strength. He offers goals, too.

Klopp has a penchant for improving players - and if Klopp can boost Mane into scoring 1 in 2, or 1 in 2.5, that'll look like a decent price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    RE: Mane. We lack pace, which he brings, and we lack goals from behind the front man, which he brings.

Sure, his ratio is probably 1 in 3, but if he was consistent he'd be costing more than £30m in this current market. As it is, he's streaky and blows hot and cold, but he has qualities we are missing. He offers directness, width, pace and strength. He offers goals, too.

Klopp has a penchant for improving players - and if Klopp can boost Mane into scoring 1 in 2, or 1 in 2.5, that'll look like a decent price.
    I agree.

I'm not gonna lie and say that I wasn't hoping for somebody better than Mané but there's absolutely no reason he can't prosper here.

He's fast and he knows where the goal is. He can go on a mad one and wing a game single handedly at times, and although inconsistent, I'm sure Klopp can really help his development.

It's a steep price but the guy is proven in the PL and as always, I'll be supportive and optimistic

ReputationRep:
    Hector would be a great left-back purchase and replacement for Moreno.

ReputationRep:
    Mané is a done deal!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36642523

£34 million.

ReputationRep:
    Is he an upgrade defensively on Moreno? Probably not that much.
    Gibbs is defensively sound, would be a noticeable upgrade on Moreno. He'll put in 6/10 performances all season with the odd 8/10.

He kept Robben quiet enough. When he got injured vs Bayern and we brought Monreal on, they started targeting that position because they noticed it had got weaker defensively.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this latest big money gamble of ours pays off. Mane hasn't got much to live up to in order to be our greatest Senegalese player at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Hector would be a great left-back purchase and replacement for Moreno.
    He'd add some good height to our backline too. Worryingly we've only really been strongly linked to Chilwell for LB.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)

It's a steep price but the guy is proven in the PL and as always, I'll be supportive and optimistic
    I can't help but feel if he was coming from abroad, people would be more excited. He's already being written off in some quarters, which is farcical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I can't help but feel if he was coming from abroad, people would be more excited. He's already being written off in some quarters, which is farcical.
    I guess people feel like it's becoming an annual Southampton raid and they don't regard Mane as an marquee signing as they had their hopes up regarding Gotze. Already I've seen a lot of people on twitter blaming FSG and the transfer comittee for being inept. :lol:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.