Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I can't help but feel if he was coming from abroad, people would be more excited. He's already being written off in some quarters, which is farcical.
    As joker says, it's probably people being pissed off that we're getting Mané instead of Götze.

Like I said, I hoped for more but this man can be an absolute beast and only a fool would write him off.
    If Klopp can develop players like Aubameyang and Lewandowski, why can't he do the same with Mané?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's annoying Mane will miss four January matches for the AFCON. Likewise, Matip will be engaged too. That's two likely starters ineligible for the United match.

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying Mane will miss four January matches for the AFCON. Likewise, Matip will be engaged too. That's two likely starters ineligible for the United match.
    Has Matip sorted out his issue with the Cameroon coach? Thought he had been dropped.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Has Matip sorted out his issue with the Cameroon coach? Thought he had been dropped.
    Imagine it'll be sorted by then, but he hasn't played for them since November, so that's worth keeping an eye on.

ReputationRep:
    Lot of money so presume that is our marquee signing for this summer.

For me we just need a CM and LB now but ideally we'd also pick up a back-up RB and a 4th choice CB?
    Why would we need a CM ?

Can
    Henderson
    Allen
    Lucas
    Milner
    Grujic

Give me one reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    As joker says, it's probably people being pissed off that we're getting Mané instead of Götze.

Like I said, I hoped for more but this man can be an absolute beast and only a fool would write him off.
    If Klopp can develop players like Aubameyang and Lewandowski, why can't he do the same with Mané?
    Gotze clearly isn't motivated to play for Liverpool - so why bother? He's happy at Bayern, picking up his wage off the bench. As Klopp said last season, we need hungry players willing to push the train, rather than just hop on a moving one.

ReputationRep:
    Gotze clearly isn't motivated to play for Liverpool - so why bother? He's happy at Bayern, picking up his wage off the bench. As Klopp said last season, we need hungry players willing to push the train, rather than just hop on a moving one.
    True - in our current position, only those types of players will come to us which in a sense is great.

I mean let's be honest here, Mané actively chose to move to a club who finished below Soton (and therefore with no Europe) last season. Why would he do that unless he was hungry to develop as a player and help us challenge for top 4?

People complain about us buying from Soton but how bad has it really been? Lovren and Lallana are playing as good as they ever have and Clyne had an amazingly solid season.
    Why is buying from Soton such a bad thing when they produce such quality players?

Before anyone mentions Lambert, he only cost £4m and he was bought to be a reserve/emergency player (similar to Caulker in that sense) in a team that didn't play to his strengths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    True - in our current position, only those types of players will come to us which in a sense is great.

I mean let's be honest here, Mané actively chose to move to a club who finished below Soton (and therefore with no Europe) last season. Why would he do that unless he was hungry to develop as a player and help us challenge for top 4?
    - more money
    - better location
    - more fame

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    - more money
    - better location
    - more fame

Meh, regardless of our current position, we're much more likely to win trophies than Southampton.

People may laugh but we got to two finals last season and although we unfortunately lost, we were only one good match away from a solid season and two away from an amazing success.

Football hinges on these fine margins though; all Klopp can do it keep getting to finals and improving his team until we can cross that finish line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)
    Why would we need a CM ?

Can
    Henderson
    Allen
    Lucas
    Milner
    Grujic

Give me one reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think everyone expects one of Allen and Lucas to leave.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone expects one of Allen and Lucas to leave.
    Bye bye Lucas

ReputationRep:
    Why would we need a CM ?

Can
    Henderson
    Allen
    Lucas
    Milner
    Grujic

Give me one reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly our midfield in **** and not good enough for top 4, it has been overrun numerous times last season. Secondly, Lucas and Allen most likely will not be here next season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Bye bye Lucas
    I think Lucas is more likely to accept a squad role (now 29 and unlikely to get a big move?). If Klopp wants to keep him, then Lucas will stay.

Allen on the other hand is more likely to want first team football since he's only 26 and meant to be in his prime.

I honestly think Allen will push to move rather than Klopp forcing him out.

ReputationRep:
    Why would we need a CM ?

Can
    Henderson
    Allen
    Lucas
    Milner
    Grujic

Give me one reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because Dahoud is better than 5 of those.

Paul Joyce kept the drive alive saying we still want him but I'm skeptical. For all the overspending we've ever done please let us for once overspend on the right player. Dahoud won't be easy to buy but the right price will sign anybody.

Edit: Tony Barrett basically said we have no chance. I'm not sure who I'd want excluding Dahoud.

ReputationRep:
    I think Lucas is more likely to accept a squad role (now 29 and unlikely to get a big move?). If Klopp wants to keep him, then Lucas will stay.

Allen on the other hand is more likely to want first team football since he's only 26 and meant to be in his prime.

Everything you say is true but I don't want to believe you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Everything you say is true but I don't want to believe you
    As much as you want Allen to stay, do you actually want him to be our first choice CM? Starting week in and out?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Same. I think, with the love-in he's enjoyed with Wales this summer especially, he's keen to move back home and be universally adored. Who can blame him?

By all accounts, he's a model pro, and I doubt we'll stand in his way.

ReputationRep:
    As much as you want Allen to stay, do you actually want him to be our first choice CM? Starting week in and out?
    I never said first choice in all honesty.
    I've always said he's a solid squad player - very reliable and always does his job well.

I'd rather have Allen than Henderson however if we sold Henderson, I would expect us to buy a new first choice CM to partner Can.

ReputationRep:
    If Mane is your marquee striker signing, there's no chance you're getting top 4. Klopp will have the same problems under this cursed transfer committee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    If Mane is your marquee striker signing, there's no chance you're getting top 4. Klopp will have the same problems under this cursed transfer committee.
    He's not going to be our striker, he's been brought as a wide option. Also, the transfer committee is there to advise but Klopp has the ultimate say on transfers. He's been keeping track of Mane since 2012 and is a big fan of him.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.