The European/World Football Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Junior Hoilett has signed for Borussia Monchengladbach, apparently.

Good move, tbh. CL football, and a decent team in a top league.
IWantSomeMushu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Notice anything different about Ramos?

Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
His hair?

PSG in for Ibra, reportedly making a 40m bid - not sure if that's € or £. Also in talks for Kaka and Dani Alves.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Surprised about Hoilett going to Germany after reported interest from English clubs. He was the bright spark for Blackburn in their relegation campagn, think he'll do well for Borussia.
KingMessi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
Junior Hoilett has signed for Borussia Monchengladbach, apparently.

Good move, tbh. CL football, and a decent team in a top league.
Hmm, a somewhat unexpected move - but if he gets regular football it will be a good one. He did have to leave Blackburn but I expected him to remain in England.
WhatIsAUsername?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Surprised about Hoilett going to Germany after reported interest from English clubs. He was the bright spark for Blackburn in their relegation campagn, think he'll do well for Borussia.
He would've cost English teams £5m in compensation. I don't think that applies to foreign teams.
IWantSomeMushu
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thiago Silva to Barca seems to be floating around, quoting €40M.

I'd be surprised if it happens, paying that much money for a 28 year old CB.
Laertes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
Thiago Silva to Barca seems to be floating around, quoting €40M.

I'd be surprised if it happens, paying that much money for a 28 year old CB.
No reason to be surprised at all. It's been rumoured since last summer and it makes sense. Barça's defence isn't all that and between Puyol's age and Piqué's inconsistent form, they need somebody of Thiago Silva's ilk for the long-term.

Besides, AC Milan don't have that much money at the moment and are facing the prospect of entirely rebuilding their squad. 40m Euro's can go a long away if you happen to be Adriano Galliani.
dosvidaniya
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Didn't realise Thiago was that old (well he's actually 27 according to Wikipedia). He'd be an amazing signing nonetheless imo, I rate him very, very highly and I think he is probably one of, if not the, best defenders in the world by ability as well as form, particularly the season before this. He's quick, strong, good with the ball, reads the game beautifully and is just an all round top center back. Ideal signing for Barca tbh. Price is a bit hefty, but high prices for players don't surprise me much these days.
Strangeclouds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thiago isn't reliant on pace so he can be around for 5 more years at least, but still, 7 million plus 7 million a year for 5 years is too much imo. He'd be a decent buy at 25 million quid, more than that and I just don't think its value for money because barca's squad needs improving elsewhere too.
jakemittle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Laertes)
No reason to be surprised at all. It's been rumoured since last summer and it makes sense. Barça's defence isn't all that and between Puyol's age and Piqué's inconsistent form, they need somebody of Thiago Silva's ilk for the long-term.

Besides, AC Milan don't have that much money at the moment and are facing the prospect of entirely rebuilding their squad. 40m Euro's can go a long away if you happen to be Adriano Galliani.
Strange, considering its owned by the richest man in Italy no?
Laertes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jakemittle)
Strange, considering its owned by the richest man in Italy no?
But Silvio doesn't pump money into Milan, like Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour do. Even Zlatan commented that Milan didn't have the money to sign the players they needed.
jakemittle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But Silvio doesn't pump money into Milan, like Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour do. Even Zlatan commented that Milan didn't have the money to sign the players they needed.
I know, I mean I think its a shame!
But then its Silvio, why should I be surprised?
internetstephen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably because they pay him an absolutely ridiculous amount of money.
Strangeclouds
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by internetstephen)
Probably because they pay him an absolutely ridiculous amount of money.
And he deserves every penny, Zlatan had a better season than Gomez, Huntelaar, RvP etc. Milan are actually a mediocre team, and aside from Zlatan the only attacking forces they have are the hot and cold Robinho and the occasional Boateng burst of brilliance.
Jamiesonn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How can I just find out about this thread now?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lille are in negotiations for Marvin Martin, to replace Hazard I presume. Fee yet to be agreed.
Akkuz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just watched the first half of Ukraine vs. Turkey match. Currently 1-0 to Turkey

Ukraine have been utterly abysmal. Turkey have completely controlled the game.

I'd go as far as to say Ukraine have a 0% chance of getting out of the group stages. The players have showed no passion, no urgency, nothing. They just look like they don't want to be there.

Nuri Sahin and Arda are two very sublime players. I know Sahin has been linked with a move to Galatasaray, very surprised none of the top clubs are after him.

Edit - Match finished 2-0 to Tukey. Ukraine played with a little more spark second half but still pretty abysmal. I suspect they will end the group stages with 0 points. They're defence is just ruddy awful. I probably think France and England will make it through the group stage.
IWantSomeMushu
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
France beat Estonia 4-0.

Brilliant send off for them.
Da_hopeful_1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
From twitter:

Sky Italia breaking the news that Juventus are tying up a deal for Udinese pair Kwadwo Asamoah and Mauricio Isla. €30m+ in two installments.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads