Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Mate, some people had their first exams before Christmas. Now that sucks. At least, I had the holidays to attempt to revise (the one I had before Christmas was only worth like 6% of the year and it wasn't too bad) . This one was worth 15% - I really don't know why I've become such a waste this year. I go in, but I don't take anything seriously at all. I think its because this isn't medicine.

Oh...those. :/ Bane of my life in year 1. Mine didn't even read mine in the end.
    Would rather mine isn't reading the crap I'm writing atm.. but he seems like he doesn't have much else going on in his life :no:

MedSoc really is a joke..
    (Original post by a moist feeling)
    What's this learning log? I didn't even know it existed :dontknow:
    Pretty sure it's the learning objectives for the MedSoc section of the big blue folder. Have to fill those in :sigh:

If not I'm doing the wrong thing but will hand this crap in anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Would rather mine isn't reading the crap I'm writing atm.. but he seems like he doesn't have much else going on in his life :no:

MedSoc really is a joke..
    Mine in year 1 was rubbish - we were in every other week from 9:30 to 4/5. Got better in year two (mainly because the days got shorter and my consultant was extremely lenient). Did get boring towards the end of the year tough.

EPC in year 2 is probably what MedSoc in year 1 and 2 should ideally be like - short, useful and snappy. I actually did stuff in mine (histories and examinations mainly) and felt like I was learning something. My GP quizzed us every week too which I actually quite liked. *geek snort*

Don't you have lectures or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    Haha tell me about it! How's your BSc going?

I'm going to have to work super hard over the next few months. Eugh! I really don't want this year to be over though!
    Could be better, could be worse! Was feeling ontop of things until the coursework piled on and I still haven't caught up yet.

How about yourself mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2klthor)
    any tips for revising MS system anatomy, mainly upper limb... Mnemonics e.t.c?
    Do you do dissections/prosections? Best way is to book some time down in dissection room and go through it with friends. (Remember when we were preparing for 1st year OSCEs, we worked out that if we were asked to identify branches of brachial plexus - we could find median nerve in forearm - pull it, then we'll know which part of the plexus is the median nerve and could name all the other brances in relation to that). Have sort of forgotten everything else now...

http://www.valuemd.com/anatomy2.php Don't know if this is any use to you. I'm sure there are lots of mnemonics for important compartments like cubital fossa and the anatomical snuff box (that always makes me laugh - snuff box).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Do you do dissections/prosections? Best way is to book some time down in dissection room and go through it with friends. (Remember when we were preparing for 1st year OSCEs, we worked out that if we were asked to identify branches of brachial plexus - we could find median nerve in forearm - pull it, then we'll know which part of the plexus is the median nerve and could name all the other brances in relation to that). Have sort of forgotten everything else now...

http://www.valuemd.com/anatomy2.php Don't know if this is any use to you. I'm sure there are lots of mnemonics for important compartments like cubital fossa and the anatomical snuff box (that always makes me laugh - snuff box).
    In our spotter exams we weren't allowed to touch the specimens.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any good resources for embryology? In particular the establishment of the body map if thats possible.

Lots of love,

Screwed 1st year medic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Am buying a new laptop £400 budget, this is the best I could find, thoughts? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavi...id=aff~Skimbit~

Although it looks a bit thin on the graphics side, or am I missing something?
    Pretty poor graphics but at £400 and a laptop you're going to lose the graphics side I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    Ha...I'm up every day at 6am due to an early-rising toddler, weekends included :eek:. Last semester was a bit of a bummer because some classes didn't start until 230pm. Thankfully, I'm going to have Mon-Thurs 9am starts next semester so suits better since I'm up and in by 815am anyway. :rolleyes:
    Ouch ok you win..

Discovered I have a sodding poster presentation to do. I really cannot be bothered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Anyone got any good resources for embryology? In particular the establishment of the body map if thats possible.

Lots of love,

Screwed 1st year medic.
    I used this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Embryology-I...5693637&sr=8-2

But only because it was written by one of lecturers and they only ever used the pictures from the book in the exams. So I just learnt where the labels went.....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Lots of love,

Screwed 1st year medic.
    Langman's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phryx)
    In our spotter exams we weren't allowed to touch the specimens.
    Do you do dissections? But it does make it easier if you can touch, rather than try and point at a specific part.(Also much easier as you can pull certain tendons to determine certain muscles and you can use those in relation to what you're looking for. You can tell most of my anatomy knowledge comes from prodding and pulling tendons/nerves...)

Lots of love,

Screwed 1st year medic.
    Like so: http://www.embryo.chronolab.com/time.htm - you can move the circle cursor at the bottom and go through all the time points. This is the site I use for my notes. And it makes embryology much easier (well a little less painful, but still painful nonetheless). Langman's embryology is really good, there is a full free version online that you can download (from Scribd) - I think its version 9. Think this was it: http://www.scribd.com/doc/7733260/La...cal-Embryology

ReputationRep:

Lots of love,

Screwed 1st year medic.
    there's defo a free Langman's ebook out there. i remember downloading it.

edit, someone found it above :yy:

ReputationRep:
    This came up on facebook.

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8GcE6sWjs

ReputationRep:
    Skyward sword <3

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my work for the winter at a residential care home, so much for working the 'odd shift'. I am definitely disconnecting my phone next time I decide to come home for the holidays!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I had a look into that anatomy.tv thing today after getting in a faff with the bony pelvis and interactions with muscles and stuff and apparently Newcastle don't have a subscription to it. They only provide the dentistry modules to us... *******s!

Any chance it's possible to get it through the BMA or something?
    Really that's quite strange, I would have thought the would have definitely subscribed to that.

There is an anatomy society somewhere that give you access but I have forgotten where that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I had a look into that anatomy.tv thing today after getting in a faff with the bony pelvis and interactions with muscles and stuff and apparently Newcastle don't have a subscription to it. They only provide the dentistry modules to us... *******s!

Any chance it's possible to get it through the BMA or something?
    I went on and did the drop down menu for institutional login and this came up
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I went on and did the drop down menu for institutional login and this came up
    Yup, but the only titles they're subscribe to (anatomy.tv looks like they do 30~) are 2 dentistry ones and a speech therapy one. None of the 'regional anatomy' ones which I think are the ones carcinoma was talking about? Oh well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yup, but the only titles they're subscribe to (anatomy.tv looks like they do 30~) are 2 dentistry ones and a speech therapy one. None of the 'regional anatomy' ones which I think are the ones carcinoma was talking about? Oh well!
    aw...we have all the regional and systemic etc...pants! maybe speak to the med school/library and ask why they haven't subscribed.

A dental student here paid her own subscription (think was £60) then found out that she could have got it for nowt. She was not best pleased! :mad:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    aw...we have all the regional and systemic etc...pants! maybe speak to the med school/library and ask why they haven't subscribed.

A dental student here paid her own subscription (think was £60) then found out that she could have got it for nowt. She was not best pleased! :mad:
    I've just emailed the library about it, maybe they can do something. I've had a little play on the dentistry one and if the regional ones are as good then wow! The best online anatomy resource we have is a video of some guy from the 60's talking through the prosection of a cadaver. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.