Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patricio_miguel)
    Stop with this "they look at your GCSE's"; they do but as a means of showing your overall performance/improvement. I spoke to one girl that studies at Oxford and she happened to get few D's and C's at GCSE level. If you happen to get A's at post secondary level - it is clearly a sign of improvement so your GCSE's become irrelevant. Your GCSE's are only likely to be used in cases whereby you have not done your AS, in such circumstances those will be correlated with your admission test performance and your predicted grades. Now, after giving youse this lecture, please refrain yourself from eliciting any "GCSE's are important" bs 😆😇
    Surely they do look at GCSE's in detail in order to judge who gets an interview? I did really well at GCSE and messed up a bit in my AS's and I (somehow) got an interview, so they must have looked at my GCSE's and predictions! Therefore GCSE results must be important, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattkin)
    Surely they do look at GCSE's in detail in order to judge who gets an interview? I did really well at GCSE and messed up a bit in my AS's and I (somehow) got an interview, so they must have looked at my GCSE's and predictions! Therefore GCSE results must be important, right?
    I think everything on the application is important, however performing weaker in one thing (such as GCSEs or AS levels) can be made up for with a stronger performance in everything else. So although they look at everything, one aspect alone will not always be the deciding factor

ReputationRep:
    Have there been any IB applicants that have been successful thus far? If so what are your predicted results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lsdjrl)
    I think everything on the application is important, however performing weaker in one thing (such as GCSEs or AS levels) can be made up for with a stronger performance in everything else. So although they look at everything, one aspect alone will not always be the deciding factor
    Ah, that's a neat-o way of doing it!

ReputationRep:
    Any Magdalen physics applicants heard yet? Reading through the acknowledgement mail from October, it states that "you should receive more detailed information from the college by the end of October" but Magdalen never sent anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2584368644)
    Any Magdalen physics applicants heard yet? Reading through the acknowledgement mail from October, it states that "you should receive more detailed information from the college by the end of October" but Magdalen never sent anything
    Feel free to call them, although I would suggest you do tomorrow morning as the admissions office is closed over the weekend. Magdalen is one of the best colleges and therefore probably has a high demand, but go ahead and phone them just to ask, there's no harm in doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superdarklord)
    I definitely thought the TSA went so badly so I was ridiculously surprised!! So scared aha. I think I'm going to read over whatever books I mentioned in my personal statement and just brush up on economic theory I guess..tbh I actually have no idea. What are you planning? oh and what are you wearing!
    Yeah I was planning on brushing over books in my PS just to know the main ideas brought up in them. Then maybe ask my teachers if they've got any advice. Other than that not really sure. I wear a suit at my school as part of uniform so I'll probably wear a suit for my interview aha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a magdalen physics applicant who hasn't heard anything either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vossari)
    Feel free to call them, although I would suggest you do tomorrow morning as the admissions office is closed over the weekend. Magdalen is one of the best colleges and therefore probably has a high demand, but go ahead and phone them just to ask, there's no harm in doing so.
    Alright cheers!
    I think I'll wait until the end of the day, i have a feeling the interviews will be coming out tomorrow anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakester11)
    I'm a magdalen physics applicant who hasn't heard anything either
    That's a relief ^_^
    From here only two physicists have got decisions and that's both from hertford ; looks like other colleges haven't sent yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr111)
    meeeeeee! really bad lol (4.7, 3.8, 2.5A)
    I'm applying for BioMed too. My BMAT scores were a little bit better except s1 where I was close. What college?

(Original post by mazzaion)
      Am I the only one arriving on the morning of my first day of interviews? I couldn't find a decent flight the night before and now I'm scared there will be an issue...
      I'm going on the first morning of my interview and now I'm worrying too :/ But I only live half and hour away so I don't think I can ask for accommodation for that night when its so easy for me to get there...

I'm sure it will be fine, otherwise they would invite people on the day before

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mazzaion)
      Am I the only one arriving on the morning of my first day of interviews? I couldn't find a decent flight the night before and now I'm scared there will be an issue...
      Same, I arrive at Heathrow at 2pm and should be there by 6pm so that's going to be a fun sprint through the airport

ReputationRep:
      I got an invitation for my interview at Worcester, received the mail this Friday. I've applied for Philosophy and French

ReputationRep:
      Okay guys can you help me out here.

I've applied for PPE at Exeter College and haven't heard anything. I phoned them on Friday and they said that successful applicants were emailed on Wednesday and that rejection letters were sent at the same time. I hadn't heard anything so I assumed I'd have a rejection letter that day or Saturday. However, I've received neither email nor a letter yet, and it's now less than a week till interview. It would see odd for a letter to take this long to get to me - is it at all possible that something's gone wrong? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NamEJ)
      Have there been any IB applicants that have been successful thus far? If so what are your predicted results?
      I have! I got a predicted 44 with full marks in everything except Maths SL, which was unbelievably lucky on my part. Hasn't helped me so much with my university applications though: I've only gotten one reply from Exeter which is a conditional 38 (their highest potential offer), and my interview to Balliol.

How about you, friend? What are you applying for and to where?

ReputationRep:
      I just got an interview from Wadham for PPE! Over the moon, I wouldn't have expected them to send out offers on a Sunday either!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NamEJ)
      Me, for Physics with 39 points. But my results are real c:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by leahcharmaine)
      Has anybody got an interview for oriental studies; Arabic & Islamic studies??
      Not received anything yet. What college did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 9dobbo1)
      Okay guys can you help me out here.

I've applied for PPE at Exeter College and haven't heard anything. I phoned them on Friday and they said that successful applicants were emailed on Wednesday and that rejection letters were sent at the same time. I hadn't heard anything so I assumed I'd have a rejection letter that day or Saturday. However, I've received neither email nor a letter yet, and it's now less than a week till interview. It would see odd for a letter to take this long to get to me - is it at all possible that something's gone wrong? Thanks.
      I also haven't received anything from Exeter yet, but do they mean that they've sent all the results out or just PPE?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.