Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I'm no AMS expert, but wouldn't it be massively beneficial for the SNP to have a second party, per se, for the last seats given they get so few with their huge number of constituency seats. Get the vast majority of constituency seats and then their second party gets all their list votes (in theory, obviously not in practice) and sweeps a massive number of list seats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is one of the reasons I'm not keen on AMS, it can be gamed.

I remember seeing material online this year from the Scottish Greens (although it may have been unofficial) calling on SNP voters to vote green on the list vote as the greens also support independence. SNP on the other hand though always asked to be given both votes.

Some time back Labour tried to run candidates under the Co-operative Party banner in the lists, but the Electoral Commission basically told them to **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Sneaky. Not sure if there are any more complicated rules but having separate parties for the constituencies and the list could work very well for any dominant party under AMS: SNP in Scotland, Labour in Wales...

The only thing that makes me question whether there is a rule against it is that surely someone would have thought of this before?
    The AMS system is better that FPTP in my view, but STV (Irish method of electing the Dail) is better still. *You can have an individual MP of one party replaced at an election by one of the same party, because that person is preferred. *I also think under STV with multi-member constituencies there would be a wider range of MPs elected and more with a local link to the area.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Leadsom reportedly is claiming she would try to repeal the hunting Act, well, she's now got my support and that's the sort of thing that could win her the leadership if May doesn't counter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Leadsom reportedly is claiming she would try to repeal the hunting Act, well, she's now got my support and that's the sort of thing that could win her the leadership if May doesn't counter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tories have some very strange priorities.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She won't do it. There are enough Tories in favour who would ignor the whip to prevent that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    She won't do it. There are enough Tories in favour who would ignor the whip to prevent that.
    Because there are totally about 40 Tory MPs that will waste defiance on it, and that assumes all opposition MPs vote against

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Aph)
    Because there are totally about 40 Tory MPs that will waste defiance on it, and that assumes all opposition MPs vote against

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It won't be repealed, but if it happens having a vote and a debate will be used to try to appeal to rural Tory voters. The ban is not because Tony Bliar has a love of foxes or other animals, but to appeal to left-wing parts of the Labour vote.*

ReputationRep:
    Trump, Milo, Farage; shag, marry, kill?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shag Milo (he's hot AF)
    Marry Farage (he seems like a gentleman)
    Kill Trump (because no way am I shagging or marrying him!)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Other than carswell and the DUP I expect that all would. And I don't see where 40 is from when they only have a working majority of 14 when labour retake joes old seat meaning that plus the Conservatives against fox hunting have said they can get 28 Tories to vote against a repeal which is enough to block the bill.

ReputationRep:
    Milo? One of the Tweenies characters isn't he (not the one who did the Jimmy Savile spoof that was repeated a couple of years ago)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It looks like there won't be a second referendum anytime soon...
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ition-response
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Milo? One of the Tweenies characters isn't he (not the one who did the Jimmy Savile spoof that was repeated a couple of years ago)
    I think that they all got drunk while making that particular spoof, though fortunately the cameras were rolling and we got to see what was a consummate piece of acting by all involved. I had assumed that Milo referred to Titus Annius Milo, defended unsuccessfully by the great orator Cicero on the charge of murdering Publius Clodius Pulcher.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I think that they all got drunk while making that particular spoof, though fortunately the cameras were rolling and we got to see what was a consummate piece of acting by all involved. I had assumed that Milo referred to Titus Annius Milo, defended unsuccessfully by the great orator Cicero on the charge of murdering Publius Clodius Pulcher.
    I had assumed that Milo referred to Milos Raonic who win his Wimbledon semi-final yesterday.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I had assumed that Milo referred to Milos Raonic who win his Wimbledon semi-final yesterday.
    I had assumed that Milo referred to Milo Yiannopoulos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    (Original post by toronto353)
    (Original post by The Financier)
    I had assumed that Milo referred to Milo Yiannopoulos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In the context of Farage and Trump, the Financier has to be right surely? (I made the same assumption!)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It looks like there won't be a second referendum anytime soon...
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ition-response
    No **** Sherlock...or did you not listen to anybody with any real power for the last at least 6 months, or even just Cameron on the 27th?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Other than carswell and the DUP I expect that all would. And I don't see where 40 is from when they only have a working majority of 14 when labour retake joes old seat meaning that plus the Conservatives against fox hunting have said they can get 28 Tories to vote against a repeal which is enough to block the bill.
    The working majority is more than 14, and you seem to forget about the SNP and NI MPs having no influence

573MPs in England &Wales, 287 for a majority, 329 Tories or a majority of 85. Functionally there are only 572 MPs due to the speaker, and currently 1 vacant, or a current E&W majority of 87. 28 is nowhere near enough, especially if the leadership manage it well, then even the whole house could get it passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The working majority is more than 14, and you seem to forget about the SNP and NI MPs having no influence

573MPs in England &Wales, 287 for a majority, 329 Tories or a majority of 85. Functionally there are only 572 MPs due to the speaker, and currently 1 vacant, or a current E&W majority of 87. 28 is nowhere near enough, especially if the leadership manage it well, then even the whole house could get it passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is the act just England and Wales?

ReputationRep:
    The SNP would vote against as foxes could run from Scotland across the border, or an argument of a similar nature.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is the act just England and Wales?
    What do you think when Scotland independently legislates for it? The irony is that Scotland has more lenient rules than E&W but the SNP will block any liberalisation of the rules just because they want to poss people off. I think NI independently legislate too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.