Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    I like to time myself when solving stuff
    Gives me an idea of how concentration affects my way of tackling problems :P
    So organised.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by crosstalk)
    So organised.
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I've been trying to stay that way for the past few months
    Time-efficiency is my main problem in most of the stuff I do. Being more organised is helping to solve this problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    I hate M3 so much, it's so boring.

How are you finding chem? On track for an A*?
    What's on your M3 again? :lol:

Mine is just DEs, SHM, Impulse and rigid bodies. Should be easy A* module along with M2 and S2/3. Then FP2 I need to do well in if I want to do maths b

Chem... I need to do a past paper after I've read through my notes to see where I am. I'll probably end up 'bombing' F324 and doing decently in F325

But should be fine Yeah

You? Physics is so boring my god
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Don't get complacent (I actually agree exams this year should be simples)

What do you know about them? Frankly I'm still not sure what exactly they do :lol:
    Much easier than last year ngl, and last year was nice and breezy so hoping all will be well

Unless disaster strikes lol

ReputationRep:
    Man I love how Dream Theater the 20 min + songs have like no singing until 4 minutes in :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)

Mine is just DEs, SHM, Impulse and rigid bodies. Should be easy A* module along with M2 and S2/3. Then FP2 I need to do well in if I want to do maths b

Chem... I need to do a past paper after I've read through my notes to see where I am. I'll probably end up 'bombing' F324 and doing decently in F325

But should be fine Yeah

What board are you on for Maths? OCR M3 is very pleasant.

(I really should try and do some Physics, though it is ****ing boring on AQA)

ReputationRep:

But should be fine Yeah

Much easier than last year ngl, and last year was nice and breezy so hoping all will be well

Unless disaster strikes lol
    Dimensional analysis, 1D and 2D collisions, projectiles eliminating time, projectiles on an inclined plane and relative motion.

Chem I'm not doing that great but I haven't finished the course and I'm not putting any effort in at the moment but I should be fine by the exams. Physics is really boring but it's quite easy tbh.

ReputationRep:
    What board are you on for Maths? OCR M3 is very pleasant.

(I really should try and do some Physics, though it is ****ing boring on AQA)
    WJEC!

Physics is **** all round
    Dimensional analysis, 1D and 2D collisions, projectiles eliminating time, projectiles on an inclined plane and relative motion.

Chem I'm not doing that great but I haven't finished the course and I'm not putting any effort in at the moment but I should be fine by the exams. Physics is really boring but it's quite easy tbh.
    That does sound boring

Good to hear wooo, gonna start driving lessons I think during study leave

ReputationRep:
    WJEC!

Physics is **** all round
    I maintain that it's the omission of calculus (as least for me).

There's no way to prove certain assertions made by the textbook without calculus (the energy stored in a capacitor is my favourite example).

My teacher also "convinced" me that doing the "easy" (read: boring and a bit wrong) optional module would be better than doing one that I actually like, because the rest of the class is also doing the boring one and she didn't want me to be on my own since I wouldn't be being taught the content by a teacher. I later found out that M4 covers like half of the module I wanted to do, so I probably could have done it anyway.

From what you said before, WJEC M3 sounds pretty much the same as OCR M3! (there's like a 2 page spring chapter as well though)

ReputationRep:
    I maintain that it's the omission of calculus (as least for me).

There's no way to prove certain assertions made by the textbook without calculus (the energy stored in a capacitor is my favourite example).

My teacher also "convinced" me that doing the "easy" (read: boring and a bit wrong) optional module would be better than doing one that I actually like, because the rest of the class is also doing the boring one and she didn't want me to be on my own since I wouldn't be being taught the content by a teacher. I later found out that M4 covers like half of the module I wanted to do, so I probably could have done it anyway.
    Tbf we do use differential equations to show stuff like capacitor energy, and radioactive decays and half lives, still boring though idk

Which module was that? We don't get any optional ones
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tbf we do use differential equations to show stuff like capacitor energy, and radioactive decays and half lives, still boring though idk

Lol, the maths in AH Physics us non existant. It's mostly plug and play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yeah there is a tiny mention of differential equations, but (at least for AQA) it's not super rigorous (because they couldn't talk about integration and differentiation directly so they were just like "here's the solution to this equation, you can sort of accept this as true if you look at this sort of useful equation"). It's pretty much just "here's an equation for charge/voltage in time, plug those numbers in and shut up".

"Turning Points in Physics". We do Thermal and Nuclear Physics + the optional module in one exam. It's pretty easy. Turning Points is pretty much what it says on the can - discovery of the electron (discharge tube, cathode rays, etc.), wave-particle duality/photoelectricity (de Broglie's wavelength, etc.) and special relativity (which is the one part that's actually cool even if I already pretty much had it down). We're supposed to know how these discoveries revolutionised physics.

I wanted to do Applied Physics (moments of inertia, better thermodynamics) or Astronomy (stars, other space stuff ).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there is a tiny mention of differential equations, but (at least for AQA) it's not super rigorous (because they couldn't talk about integration and differentiation directly so they were just like "here's the solution to this equation, you can sort of accept this as true if you look at this sort of useful equation"). It's pretty much just "here's an equation for charge/voltage in time, plug those numbers in and shut up".

"Turning Points in Physics". We do Thermal and Nuclear Physics + the optional module in one exam. It's pretty easy. Turning Points is pretty much what it says on the can - discovery of the electron (discharge tube, cathode rays, etc.), wave-particle duality/photoelectricity (de Broglie's wavelength, etc.) and special relativity (which is the one part that's actually cool even if I already pretty much had it down). We're supposed to know how these discoveries revolutionised physics.

I wanted to do Applied Physics (moments of inertia, better thermodynamics) or Astronomy (stars, other space stuff ).
    No take it from me, astronomy sucks. I've not done half of it yet but so far it is the most dull thing I have ever learned about :L. The uncertainty on the values you work out are the size of a house!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lol, the maths in AH Physics us non existant. It's mostly plug and play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, it's a bit pointless

It isnt in syllabus but our teacher said to derive it ourselves (if we did maths) and it was fine, standard log integrals and such

Lol they're all ****. Medical, astronomy etc

Applied sounds good though! That's what I'd want. Ngl disappointed with Physics as an A Level, hope it gets better

ReputationRep:
    So I was looking at an AQA examiners report and it seems the edexcel's are a lot more detailed than other exam boards??
    Here's an example for a Unit 4 physics paper: http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...f_20130815.pdf

Can anyone confirm/deny???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerlohee)
    So I was looking at an AQA examiners report and it seems the edexcel's are a lot more detailed than other exam boards??
    Here's an example for a Unit 4 physics paper: http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...f_20130815.pdf

Can anyone confirm/deny???
    I do agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Thanks guys I don't feel 18 yet because I got ID'd for a 12 last week... :rolleyes::lol:

Pub tonight :cool:
    Happy Birthday!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426844542.669748.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  113.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit disappointed by it, I thought it would be cooler:lol:

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit disappointed by it, I thought it would be cooler:lol:
    Yup, I'm disappointed too, it looked like the sun but a bit brighter than usual... Although the ISS got a sick shot of it
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426866204.792436.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  33.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    One of my mates got an amazing shot of the eclipse in Birmingham

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.