Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In other news, the pre-season football friendlies have begun. Barnet are winning at Cheshunt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    What do you think when Scotland independently legislates for it? The irony is that Scotland has more lenient rules than E&W but the SNP will block any liberalisation of the rules just because they want to poss people off. I think NI independently legislate too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While this is the case, I don't believe it prevents the SNP from voting on it and indeed they threatened to do so last year?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    While this is the case, I don't believe it prevents the SNP from voting on it and indeed they threatened to do so last year?
    Which is why the first order if business should be to do EVEL properly with a strict three line whip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    I had assumed that Milo referred to Milo Yiannopoulos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seem to be one of the only sensible people here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Blair in that if the public moves shifts when we find out what we voted for, another referendum is justified. If 90% of people changed their minds and wanted to stay it would be undemocratic not to allow another vote.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Which is why the first order if business should be to do EVEL properly with a strict three line whip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Or crate a proper federal UK which is what we need.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I had assumed that Milo referred to Milos Raonic who win his Wimbledon semi-final yesterday.
    Why would I put Milo rather than Milos, and pit him against Farage and Trump?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by banterboy)
    I agree with Blair in that if the public moves shifts when we find out what we voted for, another referendum is justified. If 90% of people changed their minds and wanted to stay it would be undemocratic not to allow another vote.
    Instead 3% of leavers want to vite remain in a second referendum, and 4% of remain to vote leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    EVEL is not a thing. There are no laws which solely affect England because England does not have devolved funding.

ReputationRep:
    Instead 3% of leavers want to vite remain in a second referendum, and 4% of remain to vote leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree atm there isn't such a mandate.

But when free movement has to stay anyway in order for us to get an inferior trade deal (the best option available to us) i think a few people might change their minds.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    EVEL is not a thing. There are no laws which solely affect England because England does not have devolved funding.
    Implying absolutely everything is financial

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Implying absolutely everything is financial

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Parliamentary time has a cost, as does time in the courts etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Seem to be one of the only sensible people here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wasn't sure if it was an elaborate troll on their part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Parliamentary time has a cost, as does time in the courts etc.
    Parliamentary time is as good as fixed, they could do nothing or they could sit 9-5 Monday to Friday, yje cost is neat enough the same given IRS salaried

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Parliamentary time is as good as fixed, they could do nothing or they could sit 9-5 Monday to Friday, yje cost is neat enough the same given IRS salaried

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still not seeing an 'English law' which doesn't impose at least some costs on the exchequer.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Still not seeing an 'English law' which doesn't impose at least some costs on the exchequer.
    While not specifically an English law, how exactly does, say, the reduction in age of consent cost the exchequer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    The AMS system is better that FPTP in my view, but STV (Irish method of electing the Dail) is better still. *You can have an individual MP of one party replaced at an election by one of the same party, because that person is preferred. *I also think under STV with multi-member constituencies there would be a wider range of MPs elected and more with a local link to the area.
    STV does take a very long time to count the votes though. Its real disadvantage (other than having a huge number of candidates on a ballot paper) is its inefficiency.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Trident vote on the 18th, I wonder if this was decoded before or after Eagle said she was formally challenging Corbyn on Monday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Leadsom reportedly is claiming she would try to repeal the hunting Act, well, she's now got my support and that's the sort of thing that could win her the leadership if May doesn't counter
    Yeah! I mean she has questionable views towards homosexuals, single parents, the environment. And she seems very confused when it comes to the economy not to mention her own career before politics.

All that doesn't matter when she seems likely to let me send a pack of dogs to tear a fox to pieces!

Tories... they're so funny.*

ReputationRep:
    Trident vote on the 18th, I wonder if this was decoded before or after Eagle said she was formally challenging Corbyn on Monday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Regardless, it's perfectly set up for another Corbynite v Blairite split.

I wonder if any labour voters long for the relative unity of the Miliband era?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.