Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    There's no need to sell Allen. We hack a knack for wanting to sell players rather than keeping a strong bench, if someone doesn't wan't to pay his full price then I'll happily keep hold of him.
    Can we convince him to sign a new contract? Otherwise we're throwing away £10mil or whatever we're seeking.

ReputationRep:
    Grujic is absolutely huge.

And I would love to give Allen a new contract. I could be wrong but I would guess that Klopp will use 4-2-3-1 as it's his favoured formation and he's in his first full transfer window. The thing with being in a two man midfield is that you need confidence, you need to be forward thinking, and most importantly you need the composure to be able to keep the ball under pressure. Allen is not the best at it but he's able to do it. Emre Can is understandably a little inconsistent but he too is able to do it. Henderson more often than not cracks under pressure and his first thought is to always go backwards.

This is a random example from the first Dortmund game, ironically involving Can. (idk if this will work)

So whilst Henderson can do a job in a 3, if we were to predominantly play a 2 man midfield I'd be really disappointed if we sold Allen yet started Henderson. I personally want another midfielder (Dahoud) but would be much more confident with Allen coming off the bench than Henderson. And some people (not necessarily on here but on the likes of Twitter) and saying things along the lines of Allen having a few good games, or a purple patch. I'm not sure how consistently performing in the time he's had since Klopp came in October can be seen as a purple patch, just my view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samiz)
    Grujic is absolutely huge.

And I would love to give Allen a new contract. I could be wrong but I would guess that Klopp will use 4-2-3-1 as it's his favoured formation and he's in his first full transfer window. The thing with being in a two man midfield is that you need confidence, you need to be forward thinking, and most importantly you need the composure to be able to keep the ball under pressure. Allen is not the best at it but he's able to do it. Emre Can is understandably a little inconsistent but he too is able to do it. Henderson more often than not cracks under pressure and his first thought is to always go backwards.

This is a random example from the first Dortmund game, ironically involving Can. (idk if this will work)

So whilst Henderson can do a job in a 3, if we were to predominantly play a 2 man midfield I'd be really disappointed if we sold Allen yet started Henderson. I personally want another midfielder (Dahoud) but would be much more confident with Allen coming off the bench than Henderson. And some people (not necessarily on here but on the likes of Twitter) and saying things along the lines of Allen having a few good games, or a purple patch. I'm not sure how consistently performing in the time he's had since Klopp came in October can be seen as a purple patch, just my view.
    Grujic does fit the template of a Klopp player more than Allen. But with him being only 20, he's obviously one of the future. The fact we're looking at players like Zeilinski too points towards that.

For me, Allen only works in a midfield three where you have someone else physical and a third man to help cover the pitch. Don't think we've seen any evidence that Allen would work in a midfield two.

Klopp obviously doesn't see enough from Allen from training - there's a reason why he started so few games under Klopp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Grujic does fit the template of a Klopp player more than Allen. But with him being only 20, he's obviously one of the future. The fact we're looking at players like Zeilinski too points towards that.

For me, Allen only works in a midfield three where you have someone else physical and a third man to help cover the pitch. Don't think we've seen any evidence that Allen would work in a midfield two.

Klopp obviously doesn't see enough from Allen from training - there's a reason why he started so few games under Klopp.
    We've never seen enough of Allen in a two to say he'd be good enough as a starter but Allen possesses those qualities needed more than Henderson. You're right that we've no seen evidence that Allen would work, but we have seen evidence that Henderson would not work.

And you could be right about training, or Klopp could have seen him as more of an impact player, which I'd be happy with next season (albeit Allen may not be happy). But a lot of the times when he played he was fantastic. Equaliser against Arsenal. We were beating United at Anfield but getting overran in midfield; Allen brought on and coincidentally we were in full control again. A lot of people were worried when Henderson got injured at Dortmund, yet Allen was outstanding in dictating our 4-1 win against Stoke a few days after. And then the 2nd leg of the Dortmund game, I remember on Twitter people crying out that we missed Henderson as we were 2-0 down at half time. But we missed Allen. Him coming on completely changed the game once again.

So whilst Allen is no world beater, if you're losing in a game, or have lost control and you have the choice to bring on Allen or Henderson, for me it's a no brainer.

Another random example was England vs Slovakia. England needed a goal, there were about 5 seconds of the match to go. Henderson has the ball in space in the centre circle. He has to play it forward obviously and he knows it. Yet he turns around, passes it back to a centre back, and the final whistle goes. I'm sorry but I do not want that cowardice mentality leading my club.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Was very shocked to read this morning that Balotelli is still on your books. I was sure you'd sold him last summer.

Is he in Klopps plans? Or are you hoping for a £40m bid from Peking Duck FC in China like we are with Rooney?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Was very shocked to read this morning that Balotelli is still on your books. I was sure you'd sold him last summer.

Is he in Klopps plans? Or are you hoping for a £40m bid from Peking Duck FC in China like we are with Rooney?
    No one wants him basically. Whilst I don't expect Klopp to be a **** to him, I'd expect him to be an outsider. He's had enough chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samiz)
    We've never seen enough of Allen in a two to say he'd be good enough as a starter but Allen possesses those qualities needed more than Henderson. You're right that we've no seen evidence that Allen would work, but we have seen evidence that Henderson would not work.

And you could be right about training, or Klopp could have seen him as more of an impact player, which I'd be happy with next season (albeit Allen may not be happy). But a lot of the times when he played he was fantastic. Equaliser against Arsenal. We were beating United at Anfield but getting overran in midfield; Allen brought on and coincidentally we were in full control again. A lot of people were worried when Henderson got injured at Dortmund, yet Allen was outstanding in dictating our 4-1 win against Stoke a few days after. And then the 2nd leg of the Dortmund game, I remember on Twitter people crying out that we missed Henderson as we were 2-0 down at half time. But we missed Allen. Him coming on completely changed the game once again.

So whilst Allen is no world beater, if you're losing in a game, or have lost control and you have the choice to bring on Allen or Henderson, for me it's a no brainer.

Another random example was England vs Slovakia. England needed a goal, there were about 5 seconds of the match to go. Henderson has the ball in space in the centre circle. He has to play it forward obviously and he knows it. Yet he turns around, passes it back to a centre back, and the final whistle goes. I'm sorry but I do not want that cowardice mentality leading my club.
    Pretty sure that Klopp views Allen as not having the physical attributes to be able to work in a midfield two. Even in the Europa League final, Klopp picked Milner ahead of Allen in the midfield. Allen seems to somehow have gotten better, the less he's played.

Anyway I'm not getting into the debate about whether Allen is better or worse than Henderson - I'm just pointing out all of the evidence from last season where Klopp has been around since October and yet a half-fit Henderson and James Milner were preferred ahead of Allen pretty much at all times. Throw in the contract situation and his age, I don't see how Allen stays.

(Original post by sr90)

We signed him on a 3 year contract. He messed around at Anfield for a year and then spent last year at AC Milan. The player has made it clear he doesn't want to be at Liverpool so as soon as anyone makes a bid, we'll let him go. I'm actually surprised that a Chinese club hasn't made a bid..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    We signed him on a 3 year contract. He messed around at Anfield for a year and then spent last year at AC Milan. The player has made it clear he doesn't want to be at Liverpool so as soon as anyone makes a bid, we'll let him go. I'm actually surprised that a Chinese club hasn't made a bid..
    Could be a Jose Enrique type situation where nobody wants him and he won't take a paycut... at least you've only got him another year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Could be a Jose Enrique type situation where nobody wants him and he won't take a paycut... at least you've only got him another year
    I think at the start of the season, we had plans to keep Enrique as cover (so Moreno and Enrique were LB options) but then Rodgers decided Gomez would work there once the season started.

By January it was obvious that Enrique needed to be gone but obviously he was happy to sit out his contract but he's 30 and unlikely to get another big contract.

Balotelli on the other hand is still only 25. What value is there in wasting a year of his prime years for an extra couple of million? He'd make more money by having a good year of football in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    Mane reported to be the only big money signing this summer so far. However the club are keeping the door ajar for Gotze if he changes his mind late in the transfer window.

Can you imagine our attacking options being - Coutinho, Gotze, Firmino, Mane, Lallana, Milner and Markovic? I imagine the latter would go out on loan again if Gotze moved..

ReputationRep:
    Mane reported to be the only big money signing this summer so far. However the club are keeping the door ajar for Gotze if he changes his mind late in the transfer window.

Can you imagine our attacking options being - Coutinho, Gotze, Firmino, Mane, Lallana, Milner and Markovic? I imagine the latter would go out on loan again if Gotze moved..
    I wanted Götze and I still do but nowhere near as much as I did before the Euros, especially after his performances. Obviously can't conventionally compare him to Manè, but the latter gives more balance and dynamic to a front 3 consisting of Coutinho and Firmino.

I can see Markovic going as he's unlikely to even get on the bench at the moment. Benches usually contain the keeper, 2 defenders, a midfielder and that leaves space for 3 attackers. If hypothetically our front 4 were Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Sturridge, we'd have Origi, Ings, Lallana, maybe Milner, Markovic, maybe even Balotelli and possibly a youth player (Ojo or Canos) fighting for 3 spots. I'd expect Origi, Ings and Lallana to be the shoe ins. So with Markovic's age I doubt he'd be happy playing reserve team football for the rest of the season. Also that's why I don't think we'll sign another attacker (unless one or two leave). Obviously we need squad depth but especially if we sign another forward there'll be one or two of the more experienced players missing out every week. I guess preseason will determine a lot of this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think at the start of the season, we had plans to keep Enrique as cover (so Moreno and Enrique were LB options) but then Rodgers decided Gomez would work there once the season started.

By January it was obvious that Enrique needed to be gone but obviously he was happy to sit out his contract but he's 30 and unlikely to get another big contract.

Balotelli on the other hand is still only 25. What value is there in wasting a year of his prime years for an extra couple of million? He'd make more money by having a good year of football in the long term.
    I completely forgot Gomez existed. Is he still injured?

ReputationRep:
    If klopp has to play a 433 to fit allen. Then he should.

U can't play 4231 everywhere u go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Interesting to hear the noises surrounding Markovic, with the club keen to make it seem as if he has a future. With Mane coming in for such a hefty fee, and Klopp lamenting a lack of wingers, it makes sense to utilise the lads we've already got - because new signings won't want to join a side where they know they'll be playing a bit part role. Hopefully Markovic gets game time this season. He clearly struggled in 2014-15, due to a combination of factors, but he has an abundance of natural ability and raw pace, which our three-pronged attack behind Sturridge severely lacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Interesting to hear the noises surrounding Markovic, with the club keen to make it seem as if he has a future. With Mane coming in for such a hefty fee, and Klopp lamenting a lack of wingers, it makes sense to utilise the lads we've already got - because new signings won't want to join a side where they know they'll be playing a bit part role. Hopefully Markovic gets game time this season. He clearly struggled in 2014-15, due to a combination of factors, but he has an abundance of natural ability and raw pace, which our three-pronged attack behind Sturridge severely lacks.
    Marko won't play

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samiz)
    I wanted Götze and I still do but nowhere near as much as I did before the Euros, especially after his performances. Obviously can't conventionally compare him to Manè, but the latter gives more balance and dynamic to a front 3 consisting of Coutinho and Firmino.

I can see Markovic going as he's unlikely to even get on the bench at the moment. Benches usually contain the keeper, 2 defenders, a midfielder and that leaves space for 3 attackers. If hypothetically our front 4 were Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Sturridge, we'd have Origi, Ings, Lallana, maybe Milner, Markovic, maybe even Balotelli and possibly a youth player (Ojo or Canos) fighting for 3 spots. I'd expect Origi, Ings and Lallana to be the shoe ins. So with Markovic's age I doubt he'd be happy playing reserve team football for the rest of the season. Also that's why I don't think we'll sign another attacker (unless one or two leave). Obviously we need squad depth but especially if we sign another forward there'll be one or two of the more experienced players missing out every week. I guess preseason will determine a lot of this.
    Well Klopp knows what he would get from Gotze and obviously they have a great relationship. I just wouldn't be surprised if we got him at the 11th hour.

Yes we have a lot of players and not as many games but we don't really have pace in the side. Other than Mane now, who else is quick? At least Markovic would give that option. I imagine Klopp will keep him till January to get a closer look/have another option and then in January we can send on loan if he's not getting any game time.

(Original post by sr90)
    I completely forgot Gomez existed. Is he still injured?
    He suffered an ACL injury at a similar time to Danny Ings. We saw Ings get a few minutes at the end of last season so I'd expect to see Gomez in pre-season.

(Original post by Mackay)
    Markovic has had 2 seasons where his career hasn't really progressed so he won't get a move to a big club - he'd have to drop down and prove himself again first. Makes sense for him to try and impress Klopp imo. We lack pace in the side (other than Mane) with Ibe completely off the boil and Ojo still young.

ReputationRep:
    For those who like to dream, Dahoud liked an Instagram post of Klopp and Buvac at Melwood earlier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samiz)
    For those who like to dream, Dahoud liked an Instagram post of Klopp and Buvac at Melwood earlier
    Being a footballer must be so fun.

Just like random pics of Wenger and watch the Arsenal thread have an excited implosion...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The new training kit range is horrible.

Fair play to Liverpool Ladies, by the way. I know we don't discuss them a lot - but they beat Everton in the cup and have progressed, so that's always nice for the club.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Palace submit improved offer for Benteke. £27m + add-ons which will get to £31.5m.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.